Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who owns a 4-track?

Blue Strat

I've got a Fostex X-14, and I thought that we 4-trackers could share tips and techniques for recording and mix-down.

I'll start. Instead of connecting to my amp, a lot of the time I can get some good tones by linking a lot of my pedals together and running straight into the guitar input jack on the X-14.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the same unit. The only way i can get a good sound, is to use a mic. I've even tried running my GNX 2 direct, and setting the output to direct, but it always distorts. :( Lately i have been recording on my computer, but i really miss the warmth that tape brings. I think i might need to get a direct box for the 4-track. I know i'm going to get a tube mic preamp for my computer, and maybe it will give me the warm fuzzy feeling i get from a 4-track and a mic. :D

Maybe the signal from the GNX-2 is still too hot. You could get a couple of 1/4" jacks and a 100k potentiometer and wire up a volume control for it, so it doesn't overload the input. I think you'd have less than $10 in parts from Radio Shack. You'd connect the input jack to the two outer lugs, and the output to the wiper and the ground lug of the input jack.

I've used my DOD effects pedals with the X-14 with no problems. The tone isn't quite as good as it would be through an amp and mic, but it's close enough to what I want when it sits in a mix.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

You might be pleasantly surprised, just by using an outboard preamp/mixpad with a good mic, getting good sound down on that unit. I know lots of bands who've put out albums with just a cassette 4 tracker. The secret is.......theres NO SECRET....just experiment. What is shite to one is a fucking stroke of genius to another. Also don't let the gear hounds tell you that its impossible to get something cool with the gear you got....its definitely possible. In fact I know a band who recorded everything live to a consumer stereo cassette machine....it was just mixed well.....and it sounded fab. Have fun.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

How about the tascam one with the dbx moise reduction? Any good? I'd love one, as I can use my crazy multiFX units and record stuff late at night without getting evicted.

I haven't tried any other four tracks, I was going for the cheap stuff when I got mine. The Fostex isn't bad, although it's a few years old. I don't think it's made anymore. It's got a guitar input, mic input, and headphone out and stereo line out for mix-down via two RCA jacks. The internal mic isn't too bad either. Drums sound strange through it, but I need a good mic that'll record the entire room for that.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

I've got a Tascam 22-4 (reel-to-reel).

I honestly never use it anymore.

I got better sounds miking than I did doing any kind of direct recording, but for some parts direct was fine. As for mixing down, I usually went to a TEAC 2-track reel-to-reel, mixing in stereo, and basically freeing up two more tracks to use; you can only do it once or twice or the noise gets unbearable. :freak:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I have a Yamaha 4 Track, can't remember the model just now, and I loved every bit of use I've gotten from it. We pretty much wrote every tune we have by jamming and recording, then listening to the tapes to see what works.

Before it, I had a Tascam, and a Fostex, the Yamahas dbx and pair of stereo outs made it a really versatile mixing tool for our recorded jams.

Now I have Cubasis 4.0 on my laptop, but I'm curious if I could use my 4 Track to record the parts, and then record them onto my Software? I prefer to tape the source and then bring the tapes home to piece the track together. Anyone tried anything like this?

Originally posted by Teahead:

I have a Yamaha 4 Track, can't remember the model just now, and I loved every bit of use I've gotten from it. We pretty much wrote every tune we have by jamming and recording, then listening to the tapes to see what works.

Before it, I had a Tascam, and a Fostex, the Yamahas dbx and pair of stereo outs made it a really versatile mixing tool for our recorded jams.

Now I have Cubasis 4.0 on my laptop, but I'm curious if I could use my 4 Track to record the parts, and then record them onto my Software? I prefer to tape the source and then bring the tapes home to piece the track together. Anyone tried anything like this?

I've run my Fostex's output into my computer and re-recorded to MP3 so I could post to the internet. As long as you watch the levels so they don't clip it works well.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Originally posted by Teahead:

I've run my Fostex's output into my computer and re-recorded to MP3 so I could post to the internet. As long as you watch the levels so they don't clip it works well.
Me too. I ran the tape thru Sony "sound forge", and it really cleaned up the recording.

Archived