Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

problem with wah pedal

SF audio

No, not the ever popular scratchy pot....

For a while, I've really had to push down hard on the pedal to activate the wah. I figured the metal "push button" or whatever it's called was wearing out. Now, I step and I step, and I can't get the wah activated at all. New battery installed to check that...just want to know what's up before I open the thing up.....

The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of wah do you have there? I presume that it's one of the Vox/Crybaby type, correct? I suspect that it's the foam pad just under the rocker that's worn out. It may not be making good contact with the switch, hence the difficulty in using the wah.

Another thing you could do is to check the switch itself. Put the guitar on the stand, lightly hit the strings. While that's happening, lift the rocker so that it's heel down. Now, hit the button. Rock the wah around to see if it works. If it does, then try turning it off. If the wah doesn't work, then it may be time for a new switch.

I had the same problem (not to the point of not working though, just difficult to get it to switch on) on my Dunlop Cry-Baby 535Q. I saw a "Hint" someplace about it. It's very common on the Cry-Baby.

There's two nuts on the threaded switch. If you losen both nuts, you can adjust the switch up and it will activate "earlier" in the stroke, before the rubber stoppers hit the body of the wah. I can't remember exactily how this looks right now, but it's easy.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

My 535Q is under repair at the moment because I was having the same switching issues. Eventually it would not respond at all, turns out that I've managed to break the metal switch with my forceful stomp! It is being patched up until I get a new switch for it.

Dave your tip sounds really interesting, can you give any more details, I'd love to have my repairs guy try to ease the switching so I don't feel like I have to jump on it in a show?

I use around a dozen pedals, and in the last two gigs they have let me down lots, mainly due to me not taking the correct care of them, I have learnt my lesson however.

My Clyde wah had a broken switch due to a rather large fellow (other than me) standing on the pedal as he was carry a speaker 'cross the stage.

Shipped is back to Mike Fuller and, voila, good as new for almost no bucks.

I'd check the switch.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Teahead,

I've got the Cry-Baby in front of me. Here goes.

First, you have to take the bottom off to get access to the "inside" side of the switch.

Then (on the Cry-Baby), there are some washers under the inside nut that bring the switch/button down into the pedal further so that the switch activates later, or not at all.

Take the washers out, allowing the switch to move up in the pedal (easiest way is to take the top nut off completely). Put the washers under the top nut so you don't loose them. Adjust the position of the switch with the nuts (lower one goes "down" to allow the switch to go "up" in the pedal and "make" (switch on/off) sooner or to "make" completely. When in the position you want, tighten the nuts.

On my Cry-Baby there are also two rubber "bumpers" under the movable pedal part. If you can't get the adjustment right, you could take these off and cut them shorter, but it would be a modification with no "return". These bumpers are (IMHO) intended to stop the stroke before overtravel (and breakage) of the "stomp" switch.

Good luck, and try to take it a little easier on the pedal.

If I'm not clear enough in my description, don't hesitate to ask questions, I won't be offended. This "Service Tech" thing is difficult with the written word and not being able to draw pictures.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived