Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigging amp for under $800

Kieran

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First and foremost, think USED! Much more bang for the buck.

Then, solid-state or tube? Tube is more expensive but IMHO sounds so much better.

I'll let other more knowledgable people address specific brands and models, and maybe even disagree with my first two "rules".

Oh yeah, WELCOME to the Forum! :wave:

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

A question like this pops up every so often here, where whoever posts it neglects to mention what they're looking for in an amp. Do you want a good clean amp with high power? A lower powered amp that'll get that SRV tone at bedroom volumes? A high-gain shred machine? What?

Simply asking what the best amplifier for under $800 is would be like asking who the best woman under 40 is! Everyone you ask is going to have a different opinion, and that will even change depending on what day you ask them.

So, lets hear some specifics please. What type of tone are you going for? What volume level? Are you using effects or going straight into the amp? All of this is necessary information.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :wave:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

You're right, forgive me for being so blunt. I play in an indie/emo kind of band, and we are preparing for an upcoming gig. Right now I have a Peavey Bandit II but I'm borrowing it from a friend. I really want an amp of my own, that I can take to practice and gig with. All I'm looking for is opinions on what brands are the best, tube vrs stereo, and other things like tone. What I really want is something that is loud enough to gig with, and has effects going into it. (Right now I have a VS J&H, Ibanez Smashbox, Rougue Volume pedal, Soundbox flanger, an Ebow, and some other various ones that I don't care to mention.) We use alot of distortion (who doesn't nowadays) but we still have bridges and intros and pure clean songs. So please be so kind as to give me some opinions. :D

Ok,

If you're going to rely on your pedals for distortion, a good lead channel on your amp is a waste of money. In that case, I'd go with a loud clean amp like a Tech 21 Power Engine 60, or any other suitable, solid state power amp in the 50 to 100 watt range.

If you want a switchable lead channel for plugging straight into the amp, It's hard to beat a good Marshall. The AVT series of amps are great, and they're in your budget. You can get a 50W 1 x 12" combo (AVT-50) for about $500, or a head and cab for slightly more.

As Dave said, used gear is a good way to get your money's worth, but you have to be careful not to get ripped off. For used stuff, I like the old Peavey amps. Usualy you can get a killer old amp for a low price, and Peavey has a great customer service department.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Well, I personally love my Trayor YCV80 . Almost all tube (solid-state rectifier with a "tube-emulation" circuit), it uses four 5881 tubes. It's rated at 80 watts. Loads of volume. Two channels, dirty and clean, each with independant three-bands EQs (treble, mid and bass) and volume controls (there's gain on the dirty channel as well). Master volume and reverb controls. There's also a boost on the dirty channel that adds a tonne of gain, transforming it into a "lead" channel. This boost is footswitchable. Basically a three channel amplifier. A lot of people describe the YCV80 as having "Fender cleans, Marshall distortion and Mesa lead."

It can do a lot in terms of the genre of music that you play. It can go from sparkling cleans to awesome crunch in an instant. I've personally used it for blues, jazz, metal, and just about every sub-set of rock you can think of. Really rockin' amp.

Edit: In regards to cost, I got mine used for 900$ (including our damned 15% sales tax) Canadian. Definitely within your price range (unless you're talking Canadian dollars).

Hmm, Scary, the traynors sound VERY intriguing. But I'm not sure about their reliablity, since they are not very poplular. This amp is one I have just discovered, and I'm VERY curious. Can you tell me more about your expiriences? :wave:

Welcome to the forums Kieran. May I suggest a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe(40W) or Deville(60W)?

I use the Deville myself, it has three channels, clean, drive and... more drive! Plus an effects loop and reverb, should you need it.

These amps are plenty loud enough, mine was too loud! So, I swapped the 6L6 tubes for Yellow Jackets and EL84's which give a thicker and earlier overdrive to gain sounds, and drops the output to give quieter power amp performance.

Lots of players here use these amps, mine has been reliable and consistent for four years now, whatever you choose, good luck with it, and I hope it serves you well, Tea.

I thought that "Traynor" and "reliable" were spelled the same way? :D

Anyhow, the story goes that back in the day, Pete Traynor (creator of Traynor amps) used to chuck his amps out of a window on the 2nd or 3rd storey, run down to the road, pick 'em up, plug 'em in and start playing. Granted, these are Traynors for a new generation, but they're still built to last.

If you're talking about problems with the tubes and all that... I can't say that I've personally had any, but I've only owned my YCV80 for about 6 months. That said, I can't recall anyone I know ever having trouble with her/her Traynor. Besides, Yorkville (Traynor's parent company) has a 2-year transferable warranty on ALL of its products, and a 10-year warranty on the cab. This means that you can return your Yorkville product within the first two years of its first purchase no matter what. It's a pretty sweet deal. :D

Since the Traynor has a 2 year no questions asked warrenty, I think that I might go with it. Also they have that sweet expansion cab for only $250 or so. But yeah, if I do, then what would be the advantage of going with a custom 4X10 as opposed to a 2X12? And Scary, do you play effects through yours? If so, how do they sound? thanks in advance...

I personally don't play with any effects - I'm more of a guitar --> amp --> sound kinda guy - but my band's lead guitarist has several, so I'll ask him how he likes them through the amp (he has a YCV80 as well) at our next rehearsal (Sunday).

i am very interested in the YCV80 myself. i have had a chance to hear one in our local music store. and it did sound very nice. is it true that when pete traynor designed his amps he copied the marshall design but made it more durable? and aren't the old marshalls roughly a take on the bassman? am i confused or is there some truth here? it would be nice if traynor made a head version and offered a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab. :thu:

is it true that when pete traynor designed his amps he copied the marshall design but made it more durable? and aren't the old marshalls roughly a take on the bassman?
Old Traynors were modelled after plexi Marshalls. That's why a lot of amp enthusiasts like them - they give you a plexi circuit for way, WAY less than a real plexi Marshall will cost you.

Not sure about durability.

The first Marshall JTM-45s were replicas of the 5F6 Fender Bassman. Same circuit, same layout, same everything - except the transformers, caps and other components were manufactured by different companies than what Fender used. Also used KT-66 tubes instead of 5881s.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

it would be nice if traynor made a head version and offered a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab.
They do have something like that... it's an expansion cab with 2X12 speakers, which is another 80 watts. With that thing and the YCV80 that makes 160 watts. I don't know about you but that's enough for me :thu:

Originally posted by Kieran:

it would be nice if traynor made a head version and offered a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab.
They do have something like that... it's an expansion cab with 2X12 speakers, which is another 80 watts. With that thing and the YCV80 that makes 160 watts. I don't know about you but that's enough for me :thu:
yeah i know of the extension cab, are you sure it increases the power?

Have any of you heard those bose amp/PA/insane things that they keep advertising? They look interesting....

check with Lee Flier dude, her band is one of the bands to try out the new system. from what i read (in one of the other forums here) she is impressed.

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Gabriel,

Old Traynors were modelled after plexi Marshalls.
Any chance that you can define "old", just in case I run accross one for $50. :D

Dave

Ditto, was just at another Pawn Shop (looking for my missing stuff) and saw an old (pretty rough) Traynor for $49. Didn't see a model no. but it had gain, vol, treb, bass and input and a big honking 12". Probably need tubes etc (which i'm willing to learn) May go back and turn it on and see if it even works!

Anyone hink its worth it?

Lynn G

Originally posted by lynng - guitar geezer:

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Gabriel,

Old Traynors were modelled after plexi Marshalls.
Any chance that you can define "old", just in case I run accross one for $50. :D

Dave

Ditto, was just at another Pawn Shop (looking for my missing stuff) and saw an old (pretty rough) Traynor for $49. Didn't see a model no. but it had gain, vol, treb, bass and input and a big honking 12". Probably need tubes etc (which i'm willing to learn) May go back and turn it on and see if it even works!

Anyone hink its worth it?

If it lights up, get it dude! I'll talk you through anything that needs fixing. :) I think they're based on the 5F6-A Fender Bassman, which is pretty much the same as Marshall's first amps. If it doesn't light, check the fuse.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

This amp (the YCV80) was definitely designed with the extension cab in mind. Sounds soooo sweet when you hook the two up together. Much better distortion. If I had any need for more volume, I'd definitely pick it up :thu: .

Originally posted by sCary McMonster:

This amp (the YCV80) was definitely designed with the extension cab in mind. Sounds soooo sweet when you hook the two up together. Much better distortion. If I had any need for more volume, I'd definitely pick it up :thu: .
Custom val 40 will be my next amp

these amps are sweet.The tone just drips from

the speakers. :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I found a brand new Traynor YCV80 on ebay for $595.00 plus shipping and handling. Is this a good deal? Sounds like a great amp with bang for the buck but I am just wondering if that is a price I should jump at seeing as how there is a day left to buy it.

-Jim Matteucci

Yea I'm 16 and I have a lot to learn

http://thefuryband.tripod.com/

I'd say go for it.

I kind of bought mine on a whim - I went into the store expecting to buy a shiny new YCV40, but there was a used YCV80 there for only 100$ more... GAS pains hit, and then I actually played it...

... well, the rest is history :D .

Kieran,

Since you're asking for opinions... I'd say go tube and stay under 40 watts. More than that and you'll never be able to push those tubes. I'd even say, go for 30 or under with 15-20 being ideal.

A silverface Fender just about anything will be a great buy and will only go up in value. A Deluxe and up will probably be loud enough as is in most situations and a Champ or Princeton with a mike can be amazing. They all have wonderful clean and with a good stomp box you'll be able to get just about anything you want. The old Traynors are a good possibility. With all of these you may need a cap job and a new speaker but the amp would be great.

For cheaper and newer, look at a Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30. Some folk really like the Fender Blues Jr. and Pro jr. Or the new Traynors.

In more boutique amps, a used Dr Z. Carmen Ghia might be in your price range for an amazing amp... you might watch e-bay for something like a valvetech or one of the many smaller companies that build great amps but don't have quite the resale because their names aren't so well known.

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Since you are using pedals for your distortion and other sounds I would try to start with a good clean amp that takes pedals well. In that price range you can get a Traynor YCV40 or 80. You can also get a used Ampeg Reverberocket reissue. Great cleans and takes pedals very well. Another good one is the Peavey Classic 50 (4x10 or 2x12).

If you look used (such as on Ebay or HC classifieds) you will get more for your money.

You might also look into a used Fender Hotrod Deluxe. You can usually find them for under $400 and it's a very nice sounding amp. The overdrive channel leaves a lot to be desired, but that's what pedals are for :idea: . Even if you got the best distortion pedal around, changed the tubes out, and put in a new speaker you'd be in well under $800.

Originally posted by TeleCarlos:

I'm also looking... and the Hot Rod DeVille 4x10's got my eye. Any complaints bout this one? Anybody?

How about mods on it. Anyone modified it yet?

Just curious I guess...

I've got it, and its a good pub amp, and will do nicely even on a big stage. I for one, believe if you think you need to mod an amp.....you need a new amp. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived