Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another guitar store trip

revolead

So I went to guitar shop yesterday, the first time I've been to one in Boulder. I wasnt that impressed with the shop, bascially I went to try out the THD stuff everyone's been raving about.

Anyway some jackass kid picks up a Squier Iwannabelimpbizkit model and starts banging away on a Line6 Spider as loud as possible. It got really irritating, fortuantely they have a back room for the nice equipment, nonetheless, I can't tell you how many times I've been to the guitar shop only to find some wanker playing TOO loud through a half stack or some Crate or something. I appreciate being able to play loud as much as anyone else, but sometimes it gets ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me whine.

BTW - The BiValve, the THD amp that was plugged in, sounded really good, I just couldn't get it to drive very well. I don't think I knew what I was doing, Hot Plate attentuator and all. Oh well, I had fun with it anyway. Good clean sound.

Shut up and play.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger that on the wanker, when I bought my mexi-strat and mini-Crate at GC, it was just insane. Yingwie Jr., Zakk Jr., God forbid these guys play below 200 db. I hadn't touched a guitar in 'bout 20 years :( so there wasn't a whole lot for me to "try out". On top of that I'm a lefty so that narrowed it down to the Strat or the Strat. Bottom line is I'm very happy with the Strat, but don't think I'll be back at GC very often, I stick with a local shop right up the road from me.

Bruce

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, when I owned my '63 Strat, I enjoyed visiting different music stores both large and small, including Ambassador Music, and Music and Sound (both of which are long gone) in se.VA, and The Guitar Center in Los Angeles, CA, along with smaller stores where I would sometimes find good deals on devices and some very nice guitar straps (including a woven leather strap that was identical to the one that Rory Gallagher was pictured with on the cover of an issue of GUITAR PLAYER that came out sometime in 1978). Now that I am again the owner of a Strat and other decent guitar equipment I have been re-descovering that little joy. It was at Peelers Music in Toledo that I got my '03 Strat (and also my Ibanez Toneblaster 25R and Alesis GuitarFX, all at deep discounts) in early September. From the outside Peelers doesn't look all that big, but don't let that surprise you--inside is a HUGE inventory of guitars, keyboards, drums, and so on, including many hard to find models. Their inventory is supposed to be the biggest in all of nw.OH and se.MI. I also had a chance to visit the Guitar Center's store in Columbus--every bit as massive as the store in Los Angeles, CA (and some VERY interesting collectors items), and I understand that they have stores everywhere, even in my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA! But as nice as all that is, it's nicer still to be able to deal with someone that actually knows your equipment and takes the time to get to know you, and that is why I'll be doing most of my music-related business at a small store in Findlay, OH (the town in which I work) called Flag City Music ("FCM"), where I bought my Ibanez V70CE-NT acoustic-electric guitar a couple of weeks ago. FCM is an authorized Fender and Ibanez dealer, and is run by a guy named Greg, who along with his coworker Simon are experienced guitar techs (not just the wet-behind-the ears sales reps that you are likely to encounter at the big stores). Greg is actually often in a position to match the discounts of the big boys (I got a VERY nice deal on the Ibanez V70CE-NT), and although he can't quite carry the inventory that the larger stores do, he can order just about anything that Fender and Ibanez puts out and get it in in a matter of days. He also told me that he can do any warranty work that I need on my Strat even though I didn't buy it there, which is great for this saves me from having to drive 40 or more miles out of town. So, what I'm saying is that, to me, guitar stores are like the towns or cities that they are in: the big ones are interesting and fun to visit, but the small ones are nice to come home to. Oh, and also, you're far less likely to encounter a "wanker" in you local friendly neighborhood music store.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

I don't know about other GC's but the one around here has background music going. Why?? Every time I walk in there's some kid banging away on an amplifer cranked to 12, and on top of that the background music is competing to be heard!

Gahh!!

Originally posted by jaded:

I don't know about other GC's but the one around here has background music going. Why?? Every time I walk in there's some kid banging away on an amplifer cranked to 12, and on top of that the background music is competing to be heard!

Gahh!!

I share your pain! I no longer shop at GC for that reason. you can't hear anything in there, even if you're the only person in the store.
"I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none." - Ben Shahn

I was recently in Toronto for work, but I found time to wander into one of the local music equipment places. There was this 14 year old kid playing through some sort of crappy amp at loud volume. He just kept playing this little ice pick through the back of your head 4 note riff. over and over and over and over.

I thought he might stop after awhile. It kept going and going like the Eveready bunny. It was busy the staff just looked like this happens everyday. I'm thinking two thoughts.

1. Will I go to jail for a long time if grab the guitar outta this kids useless paws and beat him senseless with it.

2. How could a musician stand to work in a place like that and not cry themselves to sleep every night.

dang revo,

you went all the way to boulder and didn't stop at guitarx on the way there or back?

Man the guy's got a univalve and a bivalve in stock with the thd 2-12 cabs. Not only that since his shop is small and not the kind of place teenage wankers go you can try just about anything in peace but not quiet. I don't want to sound like shill for the guy but he is extremely nice and deserves a shot at your biz. he's now going to be a Zion and mcinturff dealer as well.

Did you at least stop at wildwood guitars in Louisville? Man these are the primo shops in Colorado. I toook a friend from out of town there and the owner let him play his '59(?) Lester deluxe w/ bigsby and then pulled out a 50's L-5 and insisted he play it before we left. He's got the best selection of historics around plus a crap load of other high end amps and guits, including dr z' and bogners.

if you come back north you gotta stop at these places!!!

Originally posted by Stratasaurus:

1. Will I go to jail for a long time if grab the guitar outta this kids useless paws and beat him senseless with it.

2. How could a musician stand to work in a place like that and not cry themselves to sleep every night.

I have to admit, I'm guilty of going into a busy guitar store every so often and playing Stairway to Heaven, Tears in Heaven, Classical Gas, Smoke On The Water - and just about every other song that's a cliché to play in a guitar store - extremely poorly. It's just too fun, watching the responses you get :D .

Originally posted by jetboy:

dang revo,

you went all the way to boulder and didn't stop at guitarx on the way there or back?

Man the guy's got a univalve and a bivalve in stock with the thd 2-12 cabs. Not only that since his shop is small and not the kind of place teenage wankers go you can try just about anything in peace but not quiet. I don't want to sound like shill for the guy but he is extremely nice and deserves a shot at your biz. he's now going to be a Zion and mcinturff dealer as well.

Did you at least stop at wildwood guitars in Louisville? Man these are the primo shops in Colorado. I toook a friend from out of town there and the owner let him play his '59(?) Lester deluxe w/ bigsby and then pulled out a 50's L-5 and insisted he play it before we left. He's got the best selection of historics around plus a crap load of other high end amps and guits, including dr z' and bogners.

if you come back north you gotta stop at these places!!!

Dude, hold your breath, I'm living in Boulder right now at college at CU. Thanks for the tips though. I'll be sure to check those out. Maybe you could meet me there sometime. I've heard good things about Wildwood and GuitarX.
Shut up and play.

man I love going to those spots. Also include www.guitarsetc.net up in Longmont. Now that you're up that way these are places you NEED to check out. Wildwood is maybe 10 minutes from CU and worth every minute. Check out guitarx on a trip back home. And take a afternoon off and check out guitars etc.

wildwood is very small as is guitarx, but wildwood has a warehouse full of stuff. Guitars Etc is bigger with some individual sound rooms.

as a college student I'm sure cash is short but looking never hurt anyone, except for the gas pains ;)

sCary, No worries it wasn't you. :D

Heck I can take Stairway to Freebird, and might even plead guilty to playing a little Smoke on the Water for fun. I could even take bad renditions of Enter Sandman or Crazy Train.

No this was more like industrial noise. Not any tune that I recognize.

I'm certainly not God's gift to music. I don't mean to diss anyone's interest or talent. Still if the suck knob gets turned up ya might want to dial the volume to other way. Just my opinion YMMV.

Originally posted by jlh:

Jetboy, thanks for the tips on Colorado music stores. I'll have to get up there and have a look/listen.

Jamie

jih,

yeah if you're in Colorado and heading up north for some gas relief you gotta check out both of those. Definitely not your normal GC experience. and if you can get all the way to Longmont guitars etc is also cool. Most of the others are your basic GC clone. Aurora music is interesting because they have all the same stuff as a GC or prosound but for a bit less $$. The woman that runs it is a bit whacko but she has good prices.

One more interesting spot is elite sound, they are not so much a music store as a showroom for a couple brands, they are hard to find, being in an industrial park, but have blade guitars from Switzerland and that brand, Andreas?, With the twisted neck.

Originally posted by jlh:

Jetboy, thanks for the tips on Colorado music stores. I'll have to get up there and have a look/listen.

Jamie

jih,

yeah if you're in Colorado and heading up north for some gas relief you gotta check out both of those. Definitely not your normal GC experience. and if you can get all the way to Longmont guitars etc is also cool. Most of the others are your basic GC clone. Aurora music is interesting because they have all the same stuff as a GC or prosound but for a bit less $$. The woman that runs it is a bit whacko but she has good prices.

One more interesting spot is elite sound, they are not so much a music store as a showroom for a couple brands, they are hard to find, being in an industrial park, but have blade guitars from Switzerland and that brand, Andreas?, With the twisted neck.

Archived