Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my new Blues CD's

Dave da Dude

absolutely GREAT, but a dark hotel room, lousy AOL interactives and very s..l..o..w and weirdly layed out cordless keyboard may prevent many details. I've llost the post two or three times now, I'v lost count. I'm going to post and eidt.

name: "Pure Blues", details - too dark, but I am really excited about this CD. Stumbled on it at Barnes & Nobels Friday in Durham, NC. See AMG dot com for details.

First "cut", Eric Clapton & Duane Allman doing "Mean Old World" on an Out Take from recording session around 1970 (can't see to read right now)

SRV in a LIVE version of "Texas Flood" (Great)

Howlin' Wolf doing "Spoonful" (later covered by EC)

Big Mama Thornton doing "Hound Dog" long before Carl Perkins or Elvis

John Lee Hooker with "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer"

Albert King doin "Born Under A Bad Sign" (also covered by EC with Cream)

a young (1960?) B. B. King doing (what else) "The Thrill Is Gone"

and a bevy of other great artists and songs for a total of twenty songs so clearly showig The Blues and the history of Rock 'n Roll.

I am stoked! :thu:

Really a great overall view of the Blues and its interaction with Rock 'n Roll. I bought it to listen to Howlin' Wolf per bluestrat recommendation, and the others that I recognized.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got several blues compilations. The Alligator collections are pretty good. But the most impressive I've come across is one that I found at my local library. http://www.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,372334.html It's called The No. One Blues album, double CD.It has the original Texas Flood by Larry Davis, Mary Had a Little Lamb by Buddy Guy,I'm Tore Down by Freddy King, Iceman - Albert Collins, Hideaway - Clapton with John Mayall, Killing Floor - Howling wolf. All the usual suspects are there like Got My Mojo Working, Dust My Broom, Boom Boom, I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man,Before You accuse Me,Spoonful by Willie Dixon, Key To The Highway, Stormy Monday by T-Bone Walker. There's also Crossroads - Cream, Phone Booth - Robert Cray, Talk To Your Daughter - Robben Ford, Leave My Girl Alone - Stevie Ray Vaughan, Crosscut Saw - Albert King. Working Overtime by Dave Hole is incredible. Blue Jean Blues by Jeff Healey.Plus there's James Cotten, Guitar Slim, Blind Faith, The Allman Bros,Lucky Peterson, Kenny Wayne Shepherd,ZZ Top,Roy Buchanan,Paul Butterfield.

This may have just been an Australian release and sadly seems to be no longer available. I'm going to have to get a friend to burn me a copy.

The Howlin' Wolf CD I've got is Howlin' Wolf - His Best from the Chess records 50th anniversary collection.

The highlights (IMO):

track #3 - Evil

track #11 - Back Door Man

track #8 - Sitting On Top of The World

track #10 - Wang Dang Doodle

track #16 - Goin' Down Slow

track #15 - I Ain't Superstitious

track #19 - Built For Comfort

Another big plus in my book was that Wolf was a Strat player, as well as a kick-ass harp player!

Lightnin' Hopkins CD:

The Very Best of Lightnin' Hopkins on Tradition records

favorite tunes:

1) Big Car Blues

2) Bluebird, Bluebird

3) Blues for Gamblers

4) What'd I Say

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by gotMYgrits:

Look halfway down this page at the photo of Hubert Sumlin and Wolf - anyone know what type of guitar Hubert is holding? http://www.slidingdelta.com/bluesmen/howling_wolf.html

Do I Win the trivia prize? Mid 60's (not japanese) but Eurpean. Called a DEGA. Note the Mother ofToilet Seat Fretboard

Dega Photo

Another link

Lynn G

bluestrat,

Thanks for your recommendations on Howlin' Wolf and Lightnin' Johnson. Definetly two of the guys I'm goin' be gettin' soon.

I am just so stoked about the one that I have (Pure Blues) that I can't even imagine how great other ones could be.

I was thinking of getting "Howlin' Wolf / Moanin' in the Moonlight". It's a combination of the two, so to speak, his first two album releases and comes highly recommended by AMG, for whatever that's worth. I've had good luck with AMG's recommendations so far.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived