Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cables.

elferoony

What are the advantages of the different cable styles and brands in various price ranges?

I am especially interested in the under $35 price range, because it is what I can spend in the near future.

I want a cable that is durable and does not degrade the sound. Nothing else matters, except price.

Thanks! :wave:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had two really good cables over the years, one was a heavy duty cable I got from Sam Ash, that had a special 1/4" plug on it, that had a built-in shut off switch, so when you unplugged your guitar, you wouldn't get this awful pop or hum, it worked really well for us.

Another cable was a heavy duty see-thru type cable. That also worked well, but I liked the switched cable better.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I've always liked Monster Cable Standard. I don't notice any signal degradation, although you guys might, and its 20 bucks for high-quality 12-footer with a lifetime warranty. And the best part is you don't have to be store restricted. I took a cable to Guitar Center and they exchanged it no-hassle, even though I had no receipt and didn't buy it there. Now that is a great cable. Last cable I've ever bought.
Shut up and play.

My favorite cable was made by Conquest, I think. I bought it from AMS over 10 years ago, and it's still going strong. 22 Ga. wire, with Switchcraft 280 plugs. It sounds clear to me, but it is a 10 foot cord. I've got an 18 foot cord by a different company that I bought at Guitar Center on sale, and I can hear a difference in the treble of the two cables, but all of my 10 foot cables sound the same.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by bluestrat:

My favorite cable was made by Conquest, I think. I bought it from AMS over 10 years ago, and it's still going strong. 22 Ga. wire, with Switchcraft 280 plugs. It sounds clear to me, but it is a 10 foot cord. I've got an 18 foot cord by a different company that I bought at Guitar Center on sale, and I can hear a difference in the treble of the two cables, but all of my 10 foot cables sound the same.

Conquest are my favorite as well. I have 5 of em, and two are about ten years old. They still sound great. :thu:

I find good value in Planet Waves, and I know a guy who can unfailingly tell you if you have the cable backwards. Planet Waves claims to be a unidirectional cable, with a guitar end and an amp end.

The best sounding by far, (to my ears), are Klotz cables.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

I love my Spectraflex too. :thu: I've had it for about 10 years and it still sounds good. I like the fact that it doesn't bind and twist.

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by lynng - Lord of Dorkness:

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

I and I know a guy who can unfailingly tell you if you have the cable backwards.

BACKWARDS????? Never heard that one...but i guess it could make a difference

:D

Me either! Doesn't make sense. :confused:

If there were such a thing, you'd think the ends would be color coded or at least instructions stating so. :P

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by lynng - Lord of Dorkness:

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

I and I know a guy who can unfailingly tell you if you have the cable backwards.

BACKWARDS????? Never heard that one...but i guess it could make a difference

:D

That's just marketing bullshit. I've tried this myself and couldn't hear a difference. I'd also like to point out that there's no scientific evidence of "cable polarity".

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

My cable with the switch must be plugged in only one way, because the built-in switch is on the guitar side, and a standard but heavy duty plug is on the amp side.

The switch looks like a sliding sleeve that goes moves back and forth as you plug it in. The switch won't work they way it's designed, if you plug the switched end into the amp.

The name stamped on the casing is "Excalibur".

For more information goto:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.asp?UID=2002062908522282&item=PRO+XG20

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by djwayne:

My cable with the switch must be plugged in only one way, because the built-in switch is on the guitar side, and a standard but heavy duty plug is on the amp side.

The switch looks like a sliding sleeve that goes moves back and forth as you plug it in. The switch won't work they way it's designed, if you plug the switched end into the amp.

The name stamped on the casing is "Excalibur".

For more information goto:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.asp?UID=2002062908522282&item=PRO+XG20

I'm not saying that the Planet Waves cable isn't designed to work one way only (i.e., polarized), but standard guitar cables are non-polarized. Since the guitar's signal is AC (alternating current), the current is going through the cable both ways. Think about it. ;)

The Planet Waves cable must have the shielding disconnected at one end to prevent ground loops, most likely the guitar end, with the shielding connected to the amp's chassis, which is earth grounded.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

The switched cables are pretty cool. they are spring loaded and when you pull out the cable it breaks the ground circuit. Also I'd love to hear how someone could tell the difference in direction. This is an AC signal. If you have the polarity on the cable correct this is absolutely Bullpoopie.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

I think Bluestrat hit the right answer. I remember somebody along the line saying that the shield was only connected to the one plug end from the amp, and that made a difference.

I really like the switched plug, and the style of the plug as well, it's really easy to pull in and out, and it's heavy duty enough to last a lifetime, unlike those molded plugs from Radio Shaft, with the "90 degree angle plug especially designed for guitars" years ago. Those were pure crap.

Playing acoustic guitar, I have a jack that comes out at the bottom of the guitar, if you don't pull the jack out before you sit the guitar down, the jack will push right thru the wood, and you'll have a nice big hole in the bottom of your guitar. I did this to my Martin D-18 years ago, and had to fix it, but it's still a little funky looking.

So this is why I always remove the cord, and the switched cable is also handy while changing guitars.

Living' in the shadow,

First of all, there are directional cables, in that many unbalanced cables will run + and - on a twisted pair, then terminate the shield to the source end - only. This is known as umbrella shielding. It doesn't work if induced noise is "drained" to the input of the next device. The shield termination must be at the output (the source) of the instrument/electronic equipment that feeds signal to the cable.

It's for this reason that cables with no switch can have directional arrows.

But I can tell you from personal experience, that I own and have used other cables that appear to exhibit different sonic character when reversed. Why? I can't explain it, but I know it exists. I have yet to find any online explanation for this phenomenon.

There are other specialty cables that employ passive electronics in one end of the cable. which are directional. Some have received exemplary feedback from musicians both famous and not-so-famous. Check on the Low Down Lowdown. Most of those cables have found more acceptance with bass players.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

But I can tell you from personal experience, that I own and have used other cables that appear to exhibit different sonic character when reversed. Why? I can't explain it, but I know it exists. I have yet to find any online explanation for this phenomenon.

Perhaps the shielding is frayed at the connector on one end? Or didn't get a good solder joint? There has to be a scientific explaination for stuff like that if you can hear it. I personally have never experienced this, and maybe it's because I don't believe there's a difference. Seriously, if you expect to hear a difference, you'll probably hear a difference.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Archived