Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

books on rhythm guitar in popular music?

dcr

I'm looking for a book for a friend of mine who plays guitar. I'm a bass player myself, & I found the book on James Jamerson ("Standing in the Shadows of Motown") to be incredibly helpful; it has transcriptions of dozens of songs, with 2 CDs, and is a great way to learn about the foundations of bass in popular music. I'd like to find something that useful for guitar. I saw the recent thread on jazz rhythm guitar books, but my friend doesn't play jazz; he's more rock/pop oriented. He's been playing for a long time & is a very good rhythm guitarist, but he's said that he'd like to expand his horizons. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd suggest learning a bunch of Stevie Wonder songs. You know, the one's with a whole lotta rich chords, like minor 7ths, 6ths, sus 4ths, diminished. Ever noticed how the chords to "Isn't She Lovely" by S.Wonder are the same as Chicago's "Saturday In The Park". I think songs like that are a good beginning for moving in that direction. IMO, it can't hurt, but broaden your horizons. :D
Don't sell anything. Just keep it all. Let it pile up and see it grow tall. Up thru the roof and into the sky. More is always better so pile it sky high.

Archived