Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Starcaster?

Dave Bryce

Hi, guitar guys...

A good friend of mine is looking to buy a Fender Starcaster for his 14 year old son, who is a huge Radiohead fan and wants to play the same guitar Johnny Greenwood plays.

Anyone have any advice as to where a good place to find one would be? Or, if anyone here is selling one (or knows of anyone who is selling one), please drop me a PM.

Thanks!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Starcaster was made (I believe) from 1975 to 1980. I have a 1976 catalog in which they are prominently featured. They were introduced to try to steal some of Gibson's ES335 market. Unfortunately, the world wasn't ready for a CBS/Fender semi-hollow with humbuckers so they didn't sell very well. From what I understand and remember, they are actually very nice guitars and the people who play them seem to be very loyal. Consequently, they command a fair level of bucks these days - I'd guess around $800 and up for a good one. Keeps your eyes peeled. I've also heard a rumor that Fender re-applied for the trade name "Starcaster" late last year. That could mean that a reissue is in the works. Here\'s a nice description of the Starcaster.

http://www.njaz.com/guitars/images/Starcaster_front.jpghttp://www.njaz.com/guitars/images/Starcaster_back.jpg

:eek: I remember these things from back when I first started playing guitar. They were being advertised heavily in the guitar magazines back then and I remember lusting after them in a big way. I'd completely forgotten about them until seeing this thread. The picture actually made me feel a little tingly, not in a sexual way (well, okay...maybe a little :) ) but in a "blast from the past" sorta way). Alas, I've never even seen one in real life and, other than ebay, I'd have no idea where to find one. If you don't mind paying the price, you could put in a request with the big vintage guys like Gruhn Guitars, Mandolin Brothers, Elderly Instruments, etc. and they'll keep their eyes open for one and contact you when one becomes available. Good luck!!!
None more black.

Archived