Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mesa Boogie Dual Caliber amps

doc taz

Anyone remember these? I liked the 50 watt models. Apparently, according to the literature that I have on them, the second channel (the red one) has some of the character of the Dual Rectifier's hotter sounds. Not only that, it was the amp of choice for Allan Holdsworth and Fredrik Thordendal (MESHUGGAH) for that awesome, horn like sound.

Are these still around somewhere? Also, does the newer F series have some of the DC character in its sound?

Hehe, the Mark IV thread got me going. :D

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Studio Caliber. It's 25 watts; 2 EL84 arse end. I always threw it in a flight case and took it overseas when we used to tour because it's so much lighter than my Mark IV.

I think it kicks serious ass. The clean channel is suppose to be modeled after the Mark IV and the lead channel is modeled after the rectifier I believe. I just think it's a screaming, purring little amp. I've used a pedal board in a duo before because it's sooo portable, but nothing beats a tube amp.

I'll bet that smallest F series is about the same thing. Oh, forgot to mention, it's got a killer line out to run straight to the mixer and skip the mic business.

Wow, EL84's. Are these tubes capable of really putting out the mammoth Recto sound on your Studio Caliber amp at a reasonable volume? Similar to, say, John Petrucci's crunch tones?

I'd still go for the 50 watt 6L6's if I could get one (either a DC or an F series). I definitely don't need 100 watts if I get miked, and also, that saves me a few $$ when the power tubes need replacing. Not to mention, I might be able to play with one at home minus the eviction notice... maybe. :)

Hey tazzola,

I think a lot of the Rectifier sound is in it's ass end. My Studio Caliber with it's two EL-84s will totally intimidate a full size drum kit if I choose to turn it up. I really don't know why anyone needs more then 25 watts unless they play huge stages.

What I'd love to do is get a DC with 6V6 tubes. It would come out more like 15 or 20 watts but it would be so sweet. I talked to Boogie a long time ago about re-doing my Caliber and they said it could be done.

Originally posted by tazzola:

I'm sure the EL84's can intimidate volume wise, but how does it SOUND? Does it have enough of the gnarly, tight low end and snarling bite that I expect from 6L6's?

I equate that tone with Euro tubes (EL-34 & 84) more than the smoother 6L6 variety. I'd say if you got a dual EL-84 powered head and ran it through a 4 Celestion cab you'd have what you want. You'd have exactly what you want if you got a Boog with the graphic and V'd it.

;)

Archived