Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss Overdrive and Distortion pedals

Reece

Hey,

I've been playing my gigs with the new MD-2 (Mega Distortion) but it give out a bit too much gain (I never thought I'd say that) so i'm looking for a new pedal to add to my collection. But i'm not quite sure what to get, i need a pedal that gives me the distortion i need but not to much. I've been looking at the BD-2 and the OS-2 but i'm not quite sure. If anyone can help please do.

☼Led Zeppelin Will Never Die☼

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My usual set-up is my Lonestar Strat straight into my Deluxe Reverb amp. But for when I need a extra kick in the overdrive dept I use a BD-2. Nice unit, never had any problems, and the price wasn't too bad. Now, I play Blues with some Rock thrown in to spice up the night and I really do not abuse the BD-2 in any way, so please take that into consideration.
And as always...remember...This is just my road weary opinion.

I have the Blues Driver BD-2 and the SuperOverdrive SD-1.

They put out about the same amount of overdrive and distortion but the BD-2 has a more natural sound, and unlike many Tubescreamer-type pedals it doesn't boost the mids. It does impart a little bit of it's own sound, it isn't quite like a transparent boost. I think it's one of the best of the current Boss pedals.

It's amazing how many pedals there are on the market. Maxon, Voodoo Labs, Barber, Guyatone, Fulltone, Carl Martin, Ibanez, Radial, etc. I like reading the pedal reviews but they don't mean much until you can actually plug them into your rig and listen for yourself. If you can find a store that carries them, I think the Boss pedals are worth trying- good bang for the buck.

Sweet deal. I happen to own or have heard all of these pedals. I've got a BD-2, an SD-1, A Metal Zone, and a DS-1.

Honestly it depends what kind of music you play. I saw the Led Zep thing in your post.

I'll tell you what not to get would be a Metal Zone, I has more gain than the Mega Dist. I like it better though. The tone is smoother and great for metal.

The SD-1 probably doesn't have enough gain for your taste. It sounds very natural, and cleans up excellently. I can play that with max gain and still pick out open position chords, but I only use it for jazz, blues, and stuff with light distortion.

The BD-2 or the DS-1 are both great all around pedals. The BD-2 sounds more natural and I honestly like it better, but it has a high midrange which is defintely easy to deal with, even with hard rock. Analog man does a mod for this pedal to make it even better.

The DS-1 has a little more gain than the BD-2, but becomes noisy at high volumes and gains, especially with single-coiled guitars.

Hope this helps. - Rev

Shut up and play.

a lot of my friends are using some thing called a Daddy O made by Danelectro ( ? ) I think those things sound sweet. But I have been playing around with a borrowed DS-1 and I think that I am going to pick one of those up soon.
So those calluses are supposed to be there; right?

Archived