Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

World Record Guitar Jam - Benefit - Portland, OR

tenton

Sorry for the quasi spam but it's a great cause and a chance to make guitar history!

=======================

Sisters Of The Road Café, Inc. presents The First Annual World's Largest Guitar Jam Benefit.

Join us and bring a team of guitar playing friends!

Sunday, June 29th Pioneer Courthouse Square (SW Broadway & Yamhill) Portland, OR

Check-in/Registration & Circus Side Show Acts 10:30am-1:30pm

Jam Time 2-3pm

Cost $10, scholarships available

Guitarists: Do you play 3 chords and want to join the World's Largest Guitar Jam? Then we need YOU to come join Sisters' World's Largest Guitar Jam Band to set the World's Record and to raise money and awareness about non-violence and cross-class community building in

Portland, Oregon. Won't you come join us? We'll be playing Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" (key of G) for one hour so start practicing.

To register & for more info: Go on-line to www.sistersoftheroadcafe.org - click on the Guitar, print the register form and send it in!

Volunteers: We are looking for volunteers for planning the event and on the day of the event only. The Guitar Jam Benefit committee is meeting weekly if you would like to get involved; 2 hour weekly time commitment.

We are looking for volunteers to help with registration and fun activities the day of the event. Clowns, acrobats, unicyclists and circus sideshow performers needed!

Send this e-mail to friends and help create the Guitar Jam Band Buzzzz!

Come be a part of our World Record Setting Guitar Jam Benefit. Contact Debbie Fox at debbie@sistersoftheroadcafe.org or 503-222-5694 ext 15 if you are interested in becoming involved or would like more information.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My (finger) calluses are tuff enuf :cry: . Portland is just a little TOO far to walk to (BTW, I believe that I can play "This Is Your Land" for an hour or two, don't know about the voice though. Does a recording count?). GREAT idea though! :eek:

How 'bout one on the East Coast. If any one can remember the words, I can do "Alice's Restaurant" again, and again, and ... here it comes 'round on the geetaw again .. "You can get.." (aw, ya' know it). We could kill an hour or two with that one. Maybe some new verses could bump it up to three or four hours?

SERIOUSLY! Let's do it! :cool::thu: My favorite charity is AIDS. My son has lived with it for thirteen years so far :thu: . What's your favorite charity?

Maybe the East verus the West? :rolleyes:

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Dave, sorry to hear about your son. But I think an East Coast version is a great idea. I'd deffinitely be in favor of benefitting AIDS research or people living with AIDS...

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

N McGuitar, don't be sorry about my son. He is LIVING with AIDS! He is in total remission right now.

Tenton (sorry for any mis-spelling), Yeah! East vs. West, let's go!

Anybody else for the East?

Dave

My guess is that first we would need to contact the charity we wanted to help. They might be able to provide assistance on how to organize something like this (I know that I don't know what to do). I think I still have some contacts at Equity Fights AIDS, and Whitman-Walker, so I will see if I can track that end of things down.

Once that's done, we'd need to decide where this would happen (the East Coast is a pretty big place...), and when .

I think if we can get it that far, then we can start worrying about things like publicizing it, and how to actually make money for the charity (sponsors, donations, whatever).

I'll post back (or maybe start a new thread) when/if I get more info.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I'll check back through Duke University Medical Center (the doctor that developed one of the three drug cocktail my son has been so sucessful on, was my son's cabin counsellor [DUMC sponsered camp, all doctors & nurses, cooool :cool: ] at camp 3 year ago).

As for location, I think it needs to be Mid-Atlantic, the closest for everyone. What about Richmond or that area? It would still draw from at least as far as NYC and Atlanta and maybe even from Nashville (if that's East COAST).

Let's keep it goin'! :thu: Dave

I've gotten a couple of leads on people to talk to, and have sent emails (no responses yet, but they just went out last night). I have also gotten responses from about a dozen people who say they want to play it.

Richmond would be fairly centrally located, but I confess I don't really have any connections there. Do you? I've got some connections in Norfolk, and obviously in the Baltimore/Washington area, FWIW.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by tenton:

Sisters Of The Road Café, Inc. presents The First Annual World's Largest Guitar Jam Benefit.

Sunday, June 29th Pioneer Courthouse Square (SW Broadway & Yamhill) Portland, OR

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!

:thu::thu:

(I'm gonna be away from the computer until Sunday night, so I wanted to wish you all well while I still can).

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I'm sorry I got lost. :o

I don't have any connectons in Richmond either, but DC would be cool. :D

Our trip to Duke University got cancelled, but I'll call soon.

Dave

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

Originally posted by tenton:

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!

:thu::thu:

(I'm gonna be away from the computer until Sunday night, so I wanted to wish you all well while I still can).

Thanks - should be a lot of fun. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

It was a blast. A beautiful, sunny day with over 500 registered players (I'm sure there were many more than that that didn't donate and thus get registered).

I was trying to find some photos online but haven't tracked them down yet. I believe Guitar Player was there to cover it.

Much fun was had. Thanks for the interest!

Archived