Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

U.K Members - Is there still a Blues scene over there?

Jamesian

It seems like decades since any kind of Blues influenced bands have come out of Britain and I'm wondering if there is anything left of that thriving late 60's - early 70's scene. Are there any young bands following that tradition? Or has that American/Blues influence that was so strong in the 60's faded away?

Cheers, J.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name artists like Buddy Guy still can still fill out decent sized room

But as far as any kind of scene ..NO

If a British SRV was to emerge..who's

to say? But its highly unlikely that we will ever

see another Clapton Beck Green Page situation.

It is possible to start out rock & then

go back to the blues as Gary Moore did , but starting off as a std blues outfit is a hard

road..unless your hip like Jack White..

None of these current rock kids have a clue about blues & thats been the case a very long time.

Give me a break!

Such widespread generalizations serve only to show your lack of interest in searching for good blues within the shores of your United Kingdom Fender Bender.

I hear good live blues all the time, sure there hasn't been a Page/Beck/Clapton for a while, but incase you haven't noticed they all came on the back of a new wave of blues which was inspired by massive cultural shifts. Stop living in the past, the blues is alive and well, and it walks among us in the form of many young bands. You just need to brush up on your listening skills.

How can you judge something to be as good as,when it is made some thirty odd years later?

I don't know if any of the bands I consider modern British blues would necessarily fit your criteria, taking into account the Yardstick you are measuring with.

I've been impressed by Nick McCabes inspirational psycedelic blues, Gomez with their root style, gutsy blues rock, Ocean Colour Scenes Steve Craddock is also a great live performer, with Weller too. The Coral are a cool live act, and a local band to me, The Cusp, have a blues flavour all of their own.

I suppose what I'm trying to get across here is that there is still a blues scene in the UK. Just don't expect the players in it to be emulating the sounds of days gone by. Give them the grace to include their influences in their own creations, without demanding they mimic what people expect in British blues. That's living off past glories. We should be remembered for our tone, and for our own style, not our imitations of some guys who haven't done anything truly challenging or ground breaking for years.

Originally posted by Fender Bender:

Give me some names of acts I should check

out and I will!?

Are they as good as the Yardbirds?

No ? Well I'll remain in my time warp then

!

I've got the cultural shift blues!

If you are looking for a good blues based band then come to Glasgow Cathouse on the 3rd of June and see my band supporting the Heavy Metal Kids.

We might not restore your faith but hey its a good night out!

Mark Borland

Guitarist - Blue Sugar

Growing old is inevitable....Growing up is optional !

Originally posted by Mark Borland:

Originally posted by Fender Bender:

Give me some names of acts I should check

out and I will!?

Are they as good as the Yardbirds?

No ? Well I'll remain in my time warp then

!

I've got the cultural shift blues!

If you are looking for a good blues based band then come to Glasgow Cathouse on the 3rd of June and see my band supporting the Heavy Metal Kids.

We might not restore your faith but hey its a good night out!

Mark Borland

Guitarist - Blue Sugar

I'm actually going to be in Glasgow on May 30 through June 1. Unfortunately I'll be in Edinburgh by the 3rd. Good luck though!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Archived