Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cleaning a Tweed Case

daddyelmis

Just pulled my Fender tweed case down out of the attic and there's some sort of mold/mildew on it. :( I vacuumed it and the fuzzy stuff came off, but it's stained and I'd like to clean that.

Anybody ever successfully accomplished this? Not sure what to use to clean it (regular soap, carpet cleaner, other?).

Thanks.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't it just make it look more "vintage"? :D

Seriously, Idunno... I'll ask a few folks, if I come up with somethin', I'll post back. But, for now, act like it's cool, tell people it's a "professionally aged" relic-case from the Fender Custom-Shop... ! :D -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Doesn't it just make it look more "vintage"? :D

Seriously, Idunno... I'll ask a few folks, if I come up with somethin', I'll post back. But, for now, act like it's cool, tell people it's a "professionally aged" relic-case from the Fender Custom-Shop... ! :D -k

. . . carried by Clapton in the trunk of his car to a Fillmore gig in the rain . . yeah, THAT's the ticket! :thu:

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

...Clapton had borrowed that car from Albert King, and the stains on your case smell like bong-water, don't they? (At least, what people have told us bong-water smells like!) :thu::D

Hey, daddy-o'elmis, I read a post on the Les Paul forum where a guy has lovingly documented his further custom-aging of a Gibson Les Paul Reissue with a series of photos. After buying (assumedly) authentic, original vintage parts like control -knobs and -cavity cover-plates, he tossed his case around the driveway- twice! This guy was so obsessed with this homebrew aging that he even bought (alleged) original vintage inlays and had them installed to replace the existing ones. :rolleyes:

I wonder, did he get to keep the inlays that came in his LP, or are they on the market now?!!? :D -k

I suspect that LP will be listed on eBay soon as an authentic '57 LP actually played by Herman's Hermits at an outdoor concert NEAR Abbey Road.

I sold a Fender Mustang body & neck (no hardware) a few years ago to a guy that I'm sure was restoring it to sell as a vintage Mustang.

I've gotten used to the light staining on the case . . . I was suffering from NGS (new gear syndrome) on that case as it hadn't seen significant gigging yet (hence it was in the attic for the last few months). :freak:

www.ruleradio.com

Now, just so I don't give the wrong impression, this guy (obssessed with LP "aging") seemed like a good guy, and I think that he would be horrified at the thought of ripping someone off, or even at the thought of parting with that guitar! It just made him happy to bask in the warm glow of a "vibey" guitar, even though he was the author of much of that "vibe"!

As for your case- the guitar case, that is, (not a psyche-eval!) maybe a little stain-remover, tried first on the inside-lip near the hinge-side to see if it does anything funny? (Check under a black light before proceeding to the outside of the case if you want to be sure of no "Roswell" looking surprises when taking your axe-in-case to a club gig!) Or a "consultation" with a dry cleaner or an antique-furniture upolsterer/restorer? Post us with any results! -k

Originally posted by lrbreez:

Make sure that the mildew and mold isn't inside the case. If it is you need a new case.

Buddy

That was actually my first fear, but the inside is fine. I've got a call into a dry cleaner I trust . . . I'll let ya know.

www.ruleradio.com

Archived