Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1968 Pink Paisley Tele

ObviouslyCool

I've got a 1968 Pink Paisley Telecaster I bought brand new in 68 for $240. In the early 70's in an attempt to get away from the microphoning and weak output in the kneck pick up, I installed a Fender Humbucking pick up. I have since replaced that with the origional pickup, having a custom made clear pick guard like the origional. It plays great and sounds the same. Does anyone know what this guitar might be worth now? Other wise it has a few finish cracks through the clear coat on the back but isn't faded or worn. I've got all the accessories, even the origional strap and tags.
I used to know everything.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume there's a big hole in the wood where the humbucker was installed - that will lower the value.

Otherwise, I'd look at the Blue Book and see what that says. You could also call Gruhn Guitars and have them appriase it. I'm not sure what that costs though.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Gabriel's right on...

Unfortuately most collectors who pay top dollar for vintage guitars, hoping they will appreciate in value, want UN-MODDED guitars. Even with a mod like yours where it's not obvious, you'll see a significant decrease in value.

That being said, there is probably a demand for guitars of this type and age.

Besides the sources Gabriel mentioned try finding prices in Vintage Guitar mag, on e-bay or other vintage dealers...

Good luck.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Thanks for your input folks. I knew I'd regret routing out the hole for the humbucker in 1972, but I was poor and lonley for a guitar that worked playing with some power and some crunch. Back then I was 19 years old and never thought I would ever survive to see my little Telecaster I bought with money made cutting grass turn into a collector.

Does anyone have a Blue Book to give me an idea what this guitar is worth?

I used to know everything.

I wouldn't regret it too much. Whop would have thought Fenders would ever be worth a lot of money. Leo Fender sure didn't.

I have modified my '72 Tele (including routing it for a neck humbucker) and do not regret it. It sounds and plays great.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived