Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey 212 Classic Amp

strong_rod

I have a Peavey 212 Classic amp (1975). When I turn up the preamp to get distortion, it's very tight and buzzy sounding. Its not noisy, just an unpleasant type of distortion. Its been that way as long as I can remember (25 years).

Is that the way this amp was designed, or do you think I have a tube problem?

Recommendations for tube replacement or exchange?

Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that the peavey Classic series of amps had a solid state preamp and a tube power amp. IIRC, they had either two or four 6L6 tubes.

If you've never worked inside of a tube amplifier before, please take it to a qualified technician! There are components inside of a tube amplifier that can store a charge large enough to kill you!

There are a few things you could check. You could change the power tubes. Groove Tubes, Sovtek, or Electro Harmonix all sell fairly good tubes for the price. JJ Tubes are another option, although I've had problems using their EL84's in my Peavey Delta Blues. You'll need to set the bias of your power tubes if you change them, and they're rather costly at close to $50 a pair for Sovtek tubes (cheap, but servicable). Which leads us to the other option.

Another thing to look at is the OPAMP chip in the preamp (there are probably several of them in there). If you've got a 4558 chip in there, switching to a TL072 or TL082 bi-FET OPAMP is a way to improve the tone. (Double check to make sure of the part #'s I'm giving you, I'm working from memory here.) The higher impedance input of the FET OPAMP doesn't load down the guitar signal like a 4558 or 1458 chip, and you can get 'em for about a dollar at Radio Shack. :)

Hope you find the tone you're after!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived