Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Pickup

ridger

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Acoustic pickups are a series of compromises between cost, complexity, volume, and accurate acoustic sound. Only you can figure out what works for you but here are some thoughts on some major types with some recommendations:

Magnetic soundhole - big bottom end, high volume before feedback, non-invasive installation, sometimes sound "electric." The Sunrise is THE BEST. Also pretty good is the Fishman

under-the-saddle - this is the most common type. reasonable volume is possible, they don't show unless you have a preamp mounted in the side, sound OK to pretty good, the attack can be very rubber bandy or quacky especially if you play hard. Installation can be tricky. Fishman & Baggs are the top two although there are others that are at least as good such as b-band

top mount piezo - more accurate acoustic sound but can be feedback prone, installation is critical with just a small movement making a big difference but it is easy to do. inexpensive. amplifies all body noise as well as string sound. Baggs I-Beam, McIntyre, K&K, and Pickup-the-World are good ones.

Internal mike - can sound very good or can be very boxy sounding. Prone to feedback.

multiple systems - using more than one type of pickup balances strengths and weaknesses but can be very expensive and complicated.

Personally, I prefer a good magnetic over an under-the-saddle as I hate the quack. To add the top end sparkle, I use a top mount piezo. So, I use a Sunrise magnetic and a McIntyre top mount in my Lowden. They come out a stereo jack to a stereo pre-amp that allows me to control them separately, add effects, and then go to the board. That works very well for me.

And now my recommendation -

If you can find a Sunrise, go for it. If you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it easily. It doesn't require major surgery to go in your guitar. They sound great and can play at pretty loud volumes without feedback. Look at the number of pros who use them.

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

I like the Martin Thinlines. I installed them in my electric/acoustic guitar and in my Martin 0-16 N.Y. They accentuate the sparkle to an acoustic's sound which is what I like. In most of my songs, I want the acoustic to sound almost like a percussion instrument blending with the hi hat. They also sound fine on all acoustic songs with mandolin and such.

Recently there have been several "next generation" acoustic pickups released that sound much more natural than the current favorites. I can't remember all of them that I've been hearing about but one worth checking out is the new LRBaggs iBeam. On their web site they have MP3 files you can down load that compare the pickup with a well done studio recording. The have Phil Keagy (sp?) and some other excellent acoustic guitar player playing and they simultaniously recorded it with a well chosen studio mic and the iBeam. The results are quite impressive. It's so close that I would feel fine recording direct with this device. It's only $150 with a preamp and is very easy to install. It Just sticks under the bridge. Check it out. www.lrbaggs.com

I can attest to the L.R Baggs I-Beam (active model). I have one in my Martin and it does very well. However, it does need some eq to get there. It has quite a bit of low range in it and you may need to work with it. You also need to find where it sounds best in your guitar. Moving it on the bridge plate will change the sound. I've heard some guys that use the L.R Baggs Paracoustic DI with it and it really helps but I haven't got there yet. Also if you want to run it through an amp that is voiced for a piezo pickup it doesn't do that great. Through a PA it seems to work fine. I would imagine it would be great for recording if you are doing that. Also it's easy to install yourself with no cutting holes in your guitar etc. Good luck.

Archived