Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what model is this Gibson SG?

pizzaguy

i have to ask to someone to help me please, cos i cant find anywhere wich model of gibson sg is this guitar, for sale.

http://www.krocodillepop.com.br/pedido.asp?var_Codigo= 3187

it is named "special" by the seller, but i couldnt find any review of one of these, without the black "shield" on the top and with only three knobs.

anybody can tell me exactly what is this model?

pizza rules dudes

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try this:

http://www.krocodillepop.com.br/pedido.asp?var_Codigo=%203187

I have exactly the same SG. It's from 1961 according to the serial number, but mine has the marks of a fingerplate and this particular guitar on the picture seems repainted to me.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

By looking at the picture, I'd guess that paticular SG 'Special' falls into the same type category as, say, a Les Paul 'Studio', where they omit all the fancy appointments, higher quality woods, electronics, etc. to keep the price down.

If the Gibson web site doesn't have a listing for that guitar, I'd stay away from it; it may be a 'rat' guitar.

Matt

In two days, it won't matter.

well dude, ya have the same guitar, so it's a gibson SG special, right? well, so thanx man...

by the way, i thought that ALL gibson guitars were sumthing like "the best", and the cheaper line is on epiphone...

here in brazil, its too expensive to buy a guitar like this, so most guitar players have low-priced instruments. my DREAM as a guitarist (and many of us i believe), of course, is to have a good quality guitar, a gibson perhaps. if i get this SG Special, i'll regret on that on the future? cos i saved a LOT of money to purchase this USED guitar. a brand new, well... maybe someday...

pizza rules dudes

the traditional "special" came with 2 p-90's and 4 knobs.

this appears to have 2 hums and therefore would probably be in the standard class, except a standard has trapazoid neck markers.

it also looks like it's a '97 so it could be anything but it's not a traditional special.

Originally posted by pizzaguy:

by the way, i thought that ALL gibson guitars were sumthing like "the best", and the cheaper line is on epiphone...

here in brazil, its too expensive to buy a guitar like this, so most guitar players have low-priced instruments. my DREAM as a guitarist (and many of us i believe), of course, is to have a good quality guitar, a gibson perhaps. if i get this SG Special, i'll regret on that on the future? cos i saved a LOT of money to purchase this USED guitar. a brand new, well... maybe someday...

I used to have one of those and I didn't like it. But you have to try, maybe will work for you.

thats a gibson sg special...and no, its nothing special...its the low end of gibsons

http://img.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/517260.jpg

that guitar ur lookin at is some fake...you can see in the pic that the paint job is crap...(no gibson would be that bad), from my knowledge, there is no gibson sg with 3 knobs, and the "gibson" logo on the head stock is in the wrong place.

yo...

I would have to agree, this looks like a fake. The Gibson name is set way to high up on the headstock, at least from what I can tell from the picture. You might try looking around on http://www.everythingsg.com or asking one of the guys on that discussion board if they know anything.

Gibson SG's, the most underated guitar.

www.everythingsg.com

Originally posted by Cubby_61:

Well I am the first to admit when I am wrong. That is an actual Gibson SG Special. Probably a 1988. I found a pic from a 1988 Gibson catalog that shows that exact guitar.

http://www.everythingsg.com/adverts/1988%20SG%20Special%20ad.jpg

cool......well done.

1988 ay? well that would explain why the "gibson logo" is up so high. but that don't explain why the paint job is so bad. nice pickups on it tho...only get it if you want a peice of history...

yo...

Originally posted by 6Twenty:

...but that don't explain why the paint job is so bad...

Uh... it's a 14 year old instrument with a laquer finish that has probably been subjected to a bit of UV light over the years? Regardless of Gibson's real or imagined quality, their finishes have always been inconsistant. Could be a product of a bad spray, although I'm not certain I agree with you that the finish in question is bad. Looks like it could be artifacts in the photography, IMO.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived