Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Les Paul Buzz

SEHpicker

I own a 1990 Les Paul Standard (sunburst)Love the tone, action and overall playability...but I can't seem to get rid of a buzz that only happens when I don't mute the strings...which seems to point to a grounding problem. I've checked out the wiring visually and all seems as it should be??? It's not the amp. Other guitars don't buzz when plugged in to it. Not the cable either. Before I drive the 100 + miles to a qualified guitar technician I thought someone out there might have a suggestion??

Thanks in advance

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you mean that there's a slight hum when your hands are not touching the strings or bridge og the guitar?

If that's the case, there's nothing wrong - all guitars with passive pickups do this.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Thanks for the reply Gabriel...no it's not just a little hum...it's louder than that. Enough that the other guys in the band are starting to complain. There's also a bit of crackling going on.

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Some thing's to looke at;

1. female input on your guitar (sometimes a bit worn out and a carefull bend back will do the trick)

2. spray your pot's (and while you have your guitar open, cheque wiring connections with your pot's)

3. cheque guitar cable's

4. amplifier? (did you try another guitar on yr amp.?)

Fred

gigging favorites at the moment LP Special order 1973 and PRS custom 24

Could be a loose ground wire in the guitar. Sometime the jack will come loose and swivel around causing its connections to break.

Open it up and look for loose wires or broken solder joints. If that's still not it, pull out the pickups to make sure that a whire hasn't come loose at that end.

Does this happen on all 3 PU positions? Worst case scenario is that you have an "open" PU which will need to be rewound or replaced. It's probably something simpler though.

You did try a different cable right?

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

yes i've tried different cables and different amps...same deal. I've looked at the wiring and solder joints and everything looks OK. As I am not an electronics expert I guess I'll just have to make that drive. Was hoping for an easy fix.

Thanks for your suggestions.

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

Did it make this sound BEFORE?

Is your amp's gain all the way up?

Do any of your other guitars have the same issue when plugged into your rig at the same volume?

Any new pedals or other toys?

A "buzz" might be ANYWHERE in your chain...

Start with just your guitar plugged into the amp... then add pedals one at a time...

If you get the sound with just your amp and guitar... try another amp.

At least this will confirm for you that it's your guitar that's the cause...

Then you can bring it to a tech to find out what's wrong.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Thanks Guitplayer, yes I've done all that. It's definetly in the guitar. The question now is where? The pick-ups? the pots? loose wiring? I guess its probably not something that I can pinpoint visually sooooooo....off to the big city to find a good tech.

Thanks guys

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

Originally posted by SEHpicker:

I own a 1990 Les Paul Standard (sunburst)Love the tone, action and overall playability...but I can't seem to get rid of a buzz that only happens when I don't mute the strings...which seems to point to a grounding problem. I've checked out the wiring visually and all seems as it should be??? It's not the amp. Other guitars don't buzz when plugged in to it. Not the cable either. Before I drive the 100 + miles to a qualified guitar technician I thought someone out there might have a suggestion??

Yeah, I had the same problem with my 1995 Std. I sold that guitar for many reasons !! It seems that the standard buckers on the Pauls seem to be a little noisy. I tried 3 amps, more cords did not make a difference. Had it looked at, could not get rid of it.

I have two Fenders and a Jackson that so NOT do this.

Thanks in advance

SEHpicker

You could try resoldering the wires at the output jack. Maybe the ground wire's solder joint has gone cold. A little cleaning where the plug goes with some contact cleaner is a good idea too.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Yes, it sounds like a cold solder joint to me. They can look fine and not have good contact. You might go through the grounds and hit them with an iron and add a bit of solder. The main culprits are where braided wire is soldered to the back of pots and the output jack.

You'll need at least a 45 watt iron to have enough heat to get a pot hot and make a good solder joint. Stay away from the tiny wires with that iron!

Hey Gabriel, DC, Christopher and others with suggestions out there...check this out. I took a guitar cable and tucked one end inside the edge of my jeans so that it touched bare skin (no jokes please) and taped the other end to a mike stand and...wala no buzz! So it's for sure a guitar ground problem but this works pretty well until I can get it to a tech. Still open to suggestions though in case this sparks some ideas...

Thanks!

SEH picker

SEHpicker

Hey Gabriel, DC, Christopher and others with suggestions out there...check this out. I took a guitar cable and tucked one end inside the edge of my jeans so that it touched bare skin (no jokes please) and taped the other end to a mike stand and...wala no buzz! So it's for sure a guitar ground problem but this works pretty well until I can get it to a tech. Still open to suggestions though in case this sparks some ideas...

Thanks!

SEH picker

DON'T DO THAT !!! It means that YOU are part of the ground wire, if something goes wrong in your amp you're risking at best a big blow at worst your life.

Bests.

Stan

Love + Learning + Music = LIFE !!! (some money welcomed as well ...)

Originally posted by SEHpicker:

Thanks!

SEH picker

You CAN'T be serious! Setting aside the question of WHY you would think to do such a thing -- which boggles the mind -- if you're not muting the strings or otherwise somehow touching some part of the electronics, you can't be grounding the guitar.

The mental image -- guitar cord in the pants, other end taped to a stand --

If I consider that you tried other guitars in exactly the same situation,(same amp, same 110volt group) and other guitars did not cause this problem, there's only one conclusion.

Your guitar is causing a groundloop!

This can only happen with wrong wiring!

Were the pickups/electronics modified?

Anyway I would definately recommand to bring the guitar to a qualified gibson technician asap.

gigging favorites at the moment LP Special order 1973 and PRS custom 24

Freddynl, No this guitar has never been modified. Bought it new in 1990 from a reputable dealer in Atlanta. I plan to take it to a good Gibson tech ASAP but since the nearest one is in Denver over 200 miles away I'll have to wait a bit longer. Thanks for your input.

SEH picker

SEHpicker

OUCH... That sucks that you live so far away from a good tech. Not used to that living in San Diego.

Try this man... you say it is over the pickups and bridge area. Try to trouble shoot... there are string spacing to look at, and there are minor vibrations because a guitar does make a lot of them. I have put little pieces of paper in small little cracks before. It really helps to sort of find out where the sound is coming from and it is even a cheap fix....

Just my two cents..

Matt

Archived