Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CUSTOM BUILDER

JAY G.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm...are you in L.A., or in Osaka? I would think that there are probably many fine Japanese Luthiers that could save you a lot of shipping problems, if you're thinking about shipping something to the U.S.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

TEDSTER, I'M IN OSAKA RIGHT NOW BUT I'LL BE IN L.A. NEXT WEEK. I THINK MANY GUITARIST THINK THAT THERE ARE SOME VERY GOOD CRAFTSMAN AND SUCH IN JAPAN BUT THAT'S NOT THE CASE!!! BELIEVE ME ONCE YOU HAVE STAYED HERE A WHILE YOU'LL LEARN THAT YOU'RE TAKING A VERY BIG CHANCE BY PUTTING ANYTHING IN THE SHOP HERE. THERE ARE MANY HORROR STORIES I COULD TELL YOU ABOUT. THE GUYS IN THE FACTORYS THAT ARE DOING SOMETHING THAT THEY HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO DO - ON A DAILY BASSIS DO GOOD WORK BUT THE SHOPS ARE THE STREET ARE NOT QUITE THE SAME. I HAD AN IBANEZ NECK SCALLOPED ONCE AND IT WAS SO BADLY DONE I HAD TO BUY A NEW NECK. I HAD A GIBSON PAINTED AND THEY PAINTED IT THE WRONG COLOR AND STILL EXPECTED ME TO PAY THEM THE EQUIVILENT OF $1000....IT GOES ON AND ON....THEY WILL SAY "I'M SORRY, NOW PAY ME"...

Originally posted by JAY G.:

TEDSTER, I'M IN OSAKA RIGHT NOW BUT I'LL BE IN L.A. NEXT WEEK. I THINK MANY GUITARIST THINK THAT THERE ARE SOME VERY GOOD CRAFTSMAN AND SUCH IN JAPAN BUT THAT'S NOT THE CASE!!! BELIEVE ME ONCE YOU HAVE STAYED HERE A WHILE YOU'LL LEARN THAT YOU'RE TAKING A VERY BIG CHANCE BY PUTTING ANYTHING IN THE SHOP HERE. THERE ARE MANY HORROR STORIES I COULD TELL YOU ABOUT. THE GUYS IN THE FACTORYS THAT ARE DOING SOMETHING THAT THEY HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO DO - ON A DAILY BASSIS DO GOOD WORK BUT THE SHOPS ARE THE STREET ARE NOT QUITE THE SAME. I HAD AN IBANEZ NECK SCALLOPED ONCE AND IT WAS SO BADLY DONE I HAD TO BUY A NEW NECK. I HAD A GIBSON PAINTED AND THEY PAINTED IT THE WRONG COLOR AND STILL EXPECTED ME TO PAY THEM THE EQUIVILENT OF $1000....IT GOES ON AND ON....THEY WILL SAY "I'M SORRY, NOW PAY ME"...

Ha! that`s interesting you should mention...I had to take my guitar to a factory tech last week beacuse I couldn`t get the guys in the shops to do a simple tune-up-set the string height, check the tone/volume pots, etc. It seems that most of them are just guitar players/sales people. There`s no real guitar techs at the shops. I bought an expensive guitar here last year, took it to the FACTORY and they still couldn`t get the setup right...then when I went back stateside last summer I took it to one of my usual shops and the tech there did great work. I haven`t gotten my guitar back yet, I just hope the bill is not some ridiculous amount...but you should contact gtrmac in Osaka, he may be able to connect you with some qualified people as he did for me. I think his shop is called G-Clef Music. If you look back at the `Ivory Pick` thread on this forum you`ll see his moniker.

Thanks Skip, I'll look up that thread. I think one of the problems here in Japan is - is that there are a great deal of folks working in fields that are not where there natural talent is...it's not their calling! If you get a chance give me a call: (090) 4038-3982

Jay-

I just loked at the thread I mentioned-it`s bumped up to the top now-and gtrmac did not make an appearance on that one. Wrong thread, sorry. I need to contact him myself so I`ll look back and give you the right one later.

Originally posted by JAY G.:

Thanks Skip, I'll look up that thread. I think one of the problems here in Japan is - is that there are a great deal of folks working in fields that are not where there natural talent is...it's not their calling! If you get a chance give me a call: (090) 4038-3982

There are a great many folks working in fields outside their talent, but Japan sure didn`t invent that phenomenon. I`m one of those people whose natural talents are in fields that are notoriously unreliable for making a living. That was a problem way before I showed up here.

Orginally posted by Jay G.:

I read you loud and clear "P-don't fret"....So, what about the shops down your way in Memphis, can you recomend anyone?

Oh, gawd, yes. TK Guitar Workshop at Strings n Things. Go to their site to possibly get info. This guy has worked on numerous famous musicians' instruments, such as Donald "Duck" Dunn, Kenny Wayne Shepherd (I know he strolled through...there's an autographed guitar anyway), as well as many others. He worked on one of my basses (the action was that of an upright), and now it plays so easily, like a hot knife through butter. I dunno what he'd charge you for you're problem (you'd have to come to Memphis for a few days, I doubt he takes mail orders), but mine was only $40USD for a setup, truss rod adjustment, and a little work on the nut. All a very superb job, I might add. There's absolutely no one in Japan that can do a competent job? Wow!

Thanks "patrick_dont_fret"...Actually I once spoke with someone on the phone at "Strings and Things" a few years ago, I was trying to find a "Gibson MIII" (M3). I will give those guys a call while I'm in L.A.

I really can't say that there are no competent craftsman here in Japan, I have had some good work done at times but it cost a fortune and you have no ideal before hand if it's going to turn out good. One problem I've had to deal with is that the work the guy did was good work but it wasn't as I requested it to be done. Then sometimes a guy will have one of his students do the work = Bad News!!! If someone here does a bad job all you can depend on getting is "I'm sorry"....It's like they don't care about their reputation...If you don't come back to them as a customer some other unlucky - unknowning person will.

Hello Guys....PBBPaul, I'll ckeck out the shop you turned me onto....Hey Geenard Skeenard....that's a good suggestion but it's not happenin!!! I've talked to Ken at Warmoth few times, (I've actually been dealing with Warmoth for 10 years now.) I had my first scalloped neck build by Warmoth in 1993, (Warmoth does excellent work.) But what I need now is necks for Ibanez guitars...Warmoth does not make necks for the "JEM" style guitars. I've asked Ken if they would scallop the Ibanez necks that I have but they will not do that either. I've talked to other shops that say they get request for Ibanez necks, (those necks tend to break more often than other brands.)...But there's not many folks around making necks for the JEM guitars. In the last few days I've been trying to get in contact with the right people at Ibanez here in Japan in order to get some factory made but so far I haven't talked to the right person.

Archived