Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic guitar review for a studio

Jazzman

I'm thinking about getting an 6-string acoustic guitar for the studio. There are so many guitar types out there it is mind blowing. :freak:

I'm looking for an average guitar that has a very nice tone to it(will be used for Jazz). I guess I would be willing to sacrifice the name for quality to get a better guitar if that makes any sense.

All metal strings, or half metal and half cat-gut if that is the right term to use. I'm not sure which one.

I want to close mic the guitar in two places. What would be my best choice. Should I get a used one or get a new one? What type of wood should I be looking for? Maybe a more soul, crisp sounding, or a low tone(dark) sound?

What brand should I get? I do not want any electrics or eq on it.

What do you guys/gals feel confortable with?

Cost.........????......under $800 if I can get away with it. Something that does not get out of tune(good mechanics).

Also what type of strings should I be looking for?

Thanks folks...........

My fad-out.........

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm...

Lot's of good questions, but I don't know your goals...

- What kind of music do you play? You say "jazz", but that's a BIG range. Most current jazz players don't often play acoustic in a band context. Electric jazz boats seem to be more favored.

- There's pretty big differences in steel string and nylon (gut) sting instruments... are you thinking nylon string like Gypsy Kings kinda sound?

- Well, without knowing enough, let me make some suggestions, (hopefully not too off base). For steel string electric/acoustic in your price range, (BTW LOTS more for $300 - 400 more), I like the recorded sound of many mid priced Takamines. I also like the new Korean made Carvins... Clear, fairly dark, some models a bit bassy... You may also be able to find a low-end Taylor or Martin or Guild at this price level that would do a good job.

For nylon strings, Carvin makes a cool nylon acoustic with built in electronics for your price range... There's also Godin, and a bunch of classical oriented ones at your level. I played a decent Yamaha one recently. I personally own an Ovation "country artist" nylon string with a mid-sized body and electrics... it sounds great for that smooth jazz kinda nylon string thing.

Hope some of this helped?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Thanks guitplayer for the response.

The Jazz that I do is a variety of Smooth, Acid, Cool and Fusion types, other genres that will come out of the studio are Funk, R&B, Hip-Hop, House, Soul and Ballads.

The guitar that I would like own would be for other folks that come in the studio for my personal productions as well as other clients that may want to use the guitar for their own work. I play the guitar, but not an expert in it by any means. I'm looking for good quality tone that I plan on capturing in the studio.

I love the sound of a crisp sounding guitar that is a "Sexy", full bodied instrument that has a full spectrum of tone when played.

I don't know what type of wood I should be looking for in a guitar either. I guess the bigger the guitar the more bass it would have. You mentioned the Ovation type of guitar, this guitar is real sweet sounding too.

I really didn't consider that type, thanks. I think I'll check out a few that you suggested at Guitar Center in my area.

I just love the sound of an acoustic instrument in some Cool or Smooth Jazz production.

Thanks again for the help. If you folks want to add to the mix please feel free to do so. I'm interested in finding out more about the instrument.

Better yet on the Carvin Cobalt... Check out the sound clips on my website on the Circle of Friends page and on the Cobalt page of my website. I just got done recording a CD with my C980 and you can hear the results on these clips. The ones on my Cobalt page which can be found at www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com will show you how it records just plugged into the PC and the ones on the Circle page are recorded with 2 mics (can be seen in a picture on this page) and plugged in. Only "Ascension" and "In Tribute" were recorded using other guitars. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

I don't really think you can judge an instrument for it's recording properties unless you stand in front of it and have someone else play it....in the styles you are looking for. That being said, you will find that pro quality sound starts at about $1k list, and when you get into that price range, look for all solid wood; the guitar will play in over a few years and generally mellow and sweeten.

In general terms, and we're talking solid woods here as most plywoods have a pretty face veneer and a JUNK core(typically luaun), mahogany is often considered to be easier to record than rosewood. A cedar top will be mellower and sweeter sounding to begin with, where spruce will have a brighter, more powerful and penetrating tone. The all solid mahogany(top included) guitars from Martin will make a fine recording instrument as they tend to be a bit more harmonically simple....more clarity in the voice.

Body size will have as much to do with your recorded sound as anything. Again, in general terms, a smaller body will record better. Do some research on the Martin sizing system before making your purchase.

And of course string selection and setup will, to a large part, determine your final choice. You want a guitar that will set up with medium ga. strings, but that will still sing with lights on it. A "brass" string will be brighter than a "phosphor bronze" which will have more snap and sparkle than the modern gore-tex coated strings. Keep the action up a bit on your acoustic...the last thing you need is a client who is a basher unable to get a clear, clean tone...those large diaphragm condensers will really pick up that string rattle....

So, we're back to my first suggestion...have someone else(someone with a good touch on an acoustic) play the guitar for you in a quiet room...this is the most important test. As long as the neck set on the guitar is good, and you like the sound of it...that's the bottom line.

Yeah, I concur with Dave251.

It really depends on the style you're playing on a song. Fingerpicking is definitely better for me on small body guitars. Quality can very greatly on all guitars but especially the small ones. My favorite so far has been a 49 Martin 0016. All mahogany, no adornments whatsoever. Aged so that the wood is hard and almost looks like dark brown shale. Incredibly sensitive of small nuances. Beautiful and powerful in the midrange and upper midrange. Exactly the wrong guitar for power strumming. My drummer has a Gibson J200 which I got to use like mine. Always tring to get me to play it more. Don't get me wrong it's a great guitar but for fingerpicking nothing touches those old small Martins IMHO. I had the use of an old Gene Autry guitar from the 30's. One of those small body ones with Cowboy scenery cheaply painted on. Silk and steel. That was just the coolest sounding for fingerpicking. Though you have to change those types of strings constantly. Earthy and ruddy just what you need for pulling out the notes. Again the last thing I'd be doing full out strums on. Strumming needs something that can stay clear and clean with a good bashing of the strings. Like a J200. Dreadnoughts to me are the best average of both worlds.

I like a lot of acoustics. Even the cheap ones if they're a good solid guitar with proper setup. I found a cheap little small body Aria recently; a maple one. The neck had been broken nearly in two in the middle. They epoxied, glued (whatever) back together and it seems to be holding well. It was cheap in the pawn shop for $75.00 with the case. Perfect for it's new job. Always strung in Nashville stringing (high octave strings of 12 string set). The neck is kind of skinny so its a little hard to chord on and after having been broke in two I really wouldn't want to put much stress on it anyway. So the all higher strings used on it is perfect for the guitar.

I say more guitars strung in different tunings or different action say for slide work is a good way to go if you have enough room to hang them all up. Don't have to retune your guitars constantly. Anyway I'm having fun with the concept. :)

Sorry Jazzman I just read your original post and realized I had drifted quite a bit from what you were asking.

Jazz players are usually playing with picks and like a lot of resonance in there sound and warm mids. I'd say stay away from to bright. Instead go for big strings with a very nice electric guitar kind of action and a bigger body like a dreadnought or jumbo. Those Carvins do indeed look like a good choice.

I really apreciate all of the help. I will be going to the Guitar Center in the next few days to look at a few.

Believe it or not I just received the latest catalog for Carvin, and on the cover page is a C980 Colbalt.

Dave 251 states that a small body will record better, I think I understand why. But looking at the C980 for example with a picup and EQ bands, would this be the compensating factor instead of using external mics? Because I can have the sound captured and tweeked with the on-board EQ?

I just happen to have received the latest Carvin Catalog yesterday. They have some nice guitars. I was as looking at the Martin D-1r Dreadnought for $699 out of Musicians Friend Mag. The other Martins have to be called in for a price. These babies must be very expensive if you need to call in for a price.

I do see some other Martins that start at $400 and up. Gibson guitars are up there in price too starting at around $1300.

I plan on making a copy of this thread when I go to the stores to review the different types. This will probably be as hard as getting a piano or drums being acoustic and all.

I will also check out the acoustic electric ones too. Maybe for the studio, having this option would allow me not to have to use 2 mics on the guitar and get the same quality? There is some logic there, but I don't want to sacrifice anything in doing so.

It is equally confusing to me about the different types of woods that would be best, internal framing of the guitar, etc. What should I be looking for?

What does it mean when I read that it is AAA figured mahogany? I've seen where they state that it is AA also. Is that some sort of grading system for quality?

Sorry about all of the dumb questions, but I've learned that if I don't ask enough questions I end up getting burnt in the long run.

Thanks again for the expert help.

Like I said I'm not the greatest when it comes to guitar playing, but I want to learn, and have the ability to have a good reliable instrument in the studio. I usually play my Gibson Black Beauty doing chops, and some fillin lead parts for songs a lot of songs produced in the studio. Having an acoustic guitar will compliment some of my Jazz tracks.

My fade-out........

AAA vs. AA just really means how much figuring of the wood. It is more of a visual reference (and somewhat arbitrary one) than a reference of sound quality. With the Carvins, the necks will feel more "at home" to electric players as well. You have 10 days to try it from the time you receive it to put it through its paces before you have to decide whether you are going to keep it or send it back. Use that time to compare it directly to others in terms of build quality and playability and all... That was what I did, and I kept it. Only a $3100 Taylor eclipsed it of all the guitars I played, and the Cobalt's build quality was every bit as good. Also, on my site, you have samples of recorded plugged in only on the Cobalt page or 2-mics + plugged in on the Circle of Friends page. www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com . Boggs :wave:
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Archived