Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

wanna buy Jimi's pesonalized guitar?

Mr. Downchild

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I know what you mean. If that guitar were mine, I'd likely not part with it either; being such an important piece of history, but who knows, maybe Dweezil needs the cash.

Hmmmm.....maybe Steven Segal might actually have a shot at this axe, considering the recent thread, it would be funny if he won!

I wouldn't pay a dime over $250,000 for that guitar. That's just stupid to me that people place so much value on something because JIMI played it. Jimi was a great guy and an amazing musician but he put his pants on the same way everybody else does, one leg at a time.

Point taken Wewus. I agree about the unrealistic premiums that people place on these instruments because they were owned/played by somebody famous/influential. That's why I said earlier that if I was in his position, I wouldn't sell it...even if it's only for the fact that it belonged to my father. But I don't know his situation, so......

I read a recent article on Dweezil in Vintage Guitar magazine, and in it, he talked about the absurdity of the vintage market, and how ridiculously overpriced these guitars are. Until now, he had me believing he meant what he said. Oh well.

I think that the fact that the guitar does not have all the original parts should make it worth less than he is expecting to get. I read that the only original part is the burnt body.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

BassPhunk02:

"....... Anyway, just my $0.02USD + 9.25% sales tax."

Hey dammit! that's *my* line!!

:oP

So screw it. I'll use my other:

==================================

#include

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Hi all,

I have an other one to sell it's in mint condition and Jimi SAW it in 67 ... (I have the picture ...).

I am considering parting of it for a mere $100,000 (+$50,000 for the case which Jimi TOUCHED AND OPENED). ;););)

Bests.

Stan.

Love + Learning + Music = LIFE !!! (some money welcomed as well ...)

I have a guitar that Jimi never saw, never touched and never owned.

But he one night he had a dream about walking in the desert, beyond the perimeter- where the [natives] were brightly feathered. He came up to a cave that was full of small furry creatures grooving in the dark with a pict. He followed the sounds all the way to the central Gadda Da Vida and found this cheap $170 piece of plywood that was pressed into a Squire Strat and strung with bridge cables. The guitar had Dick Dale and Ventures stickers on it.

And he proclaimed- "We'll never hear surf music again...."

So he lit it on fire and smashed it to bits....

The cave resounded a stir of echoes, and rendered all the furry creatures comfortably numb. All except for the Laughin Gnome, who ran about the place chopping bearded rainbows down with the edge of his hand, creating a thick purple haze.

This immediately made jimi manically depressed, and he woke up in a cold sweat looking for a fire to stand next to.

Unfortunately, Jimi's untimely death prevented him from fulfilling the destiny and this guitar has not yet been lit on fire and smashed to bits.

However, this guitar is for sale- The bids start at $666.349.13 USD.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

He shouldn't sell it.

Not only because it's a Hendrix item, but also because I think some people associate that guitar with his father (I do - I can see the picture of Frank holding it on the cover of _Guitar World_ easily in my mind).

UNLESS of course, he is actually in financial trouble - you can't begrudge him that if that is the situation. It would suck though, if he's forced into a situation where the Zappa estate gets sold off/thinned out.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Mats Olsson:

The history of that guitar is very intresting: full story here.

Here is another very good article on the Zappa-Hendrix connection.

/Mats

That's interesting Mats, but if you examine the photos of Jimi closely, you can see a second strat in the grassy knoll..... :D

Archived