Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do i use one heads pre-amp with a seconds power-amp?

archibald3

I`m guessing[where ampA is pre-amp and ampB is power] i would plug in to ampA and run its effect send to ampb`s effect return.Ampb would be run to the speaker cab?Is that right?Both these amps are 3-4 channels so i`m a little confused about what volumes[channel gain and volume-master volume] are going to control what on each amp!Any advice or suggestions would be apreciated here.If this is the correct way how should i set the effects send and return controls? Arch p.s. the reason i`m doing this is because ampA has solid state power with tube pre so i want to use the tube power of ampB with the pre`s and better channel switching applications of ampA!As a foot note i should mention ampA has a seperate effects loop for the clean and dirty channels...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by archibald3:

I`m guessing[where ampA is pre-amp and ampB is power] i would plug in to ampA and run its effect send to ampb`s effect return.Ampb would be run to the speaker cab?Is that right?Both these amps are 3-4 channels so i`m a little confused about what volumes[channel gain and volume-master volume] are going to control what on each amp!Any advice or suggestions would be apreciated here.If this is the correct way how should i set the effects send and return controls? Arch p.s. the reason i`m doing this is because ampA has solid state power with tube pre so i want to use the tube power of ampB with the pre`s and better channel switching applications of ampA!As a foot note i should mention ampA has a seperate effects loop for the clean and dirty channels...

Well, it all depends on the amps. You might not be able to do it at all. If both amps had send and return jacks, then you could run a "send" from amp A to the "return" on amp B. If amp A had a direct out feature, you might also be able to run the direct out's signal to the return jack of amp B (using a Hi-Z cable if the direct out used an XLR jack).

These are just two examples, there are countless ways that this would work or wouldn't work.

Archived