Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice: Tele replacement pups

Mr. Downchild

Does anybody have any suggestions for a replacement neck pickup for a tele that is:

a) a humbucking, PAF type?

b) doesn't require drilling a bigger hole into the body?

and c) retains a vintage appearance?

Of course the first two are the most important, but ideally I would a pickup that covers all three. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a couple for the bridge position but I know of none for the neck. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and rout out a hole.

BTW, my tele has a PAF in the neck position and it sounds fantastic. It's also splittable so I can get a single-coil sound.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Mr. Downchild:

Does anybody have any suggestions for a replacement neck pickup for a tele that is:

a) a humbucking, PAF type?

b) doesn't require drilling a bigger hole into the body?

and c) retains a vintage appearance?

Of course the first two are the most important, but ideally I would a pickup that covers all three. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I got a "Players Choice" pickup from Lace for my Tele neck. It's somewhere between a P90 and a minihumbucker. We A/B'd it with my friend's Les Paul Custom, and the output was very close, but the Lace was a bit darker. That's good because it's what I wanted anyway.

It fits right in the Tele neck (mine doesn't have the "swimming pool" cavity), and it looks identical to a stack Tele neck when it's installed. I got it with the silver cover, so it looks dead stock. It's nice to have the humbucker option in the neck of the Tele, but no surgery required. Great little sleeper. :)

Check out http://www.agi-lace.com . You can ask Don Mare on the meassge board about it. He's super nice and very knowledgeable about pickups and guitars in general.

Archived