Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scale of the Day

Tedly Nightshade

Hey folks,

around here we're doing a scale of the day, to get comfortable under the fingers on whatever instruments are handy, over here guitar, piano, vibraphone, trumpet, in all twelve keys.

I thought I'd post 'em as they come up just for the hell of it.

A lot of these are gapped scales, which effect the fingering on piano and vibes a lot more than on trumpet and guitar, but they are modes in their own right, and have their own character, and harmonic implications.

Here's yesterday's and today's. Name them whatever you please.

C-Dflat-E-F-G-Bflat-C

C-D-Eflat-F-Aflat-C

Of course these have modes of their own, that's why we can only handle one a day over here...

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's over here:

C-D-Eflat-A-B-C

a close relative of the one from the day before.

The keys player came up with that, the big leap is a puzzle on the keys.

I look forward to what the Thesaurus has to say!

Ted

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Yum, I like today's entree:

C-Dflat-E-G-Aflat-B-C

Has an unnerving tendency to want to make Dflat the tonic...

Thinking up cool scales can be an enjoyable way to procrastinate on actually practicing!

Ted

Here`s an extended scale, based on a ditone (two whole notes, or a major third). The basic scale is spelled C-E-G#-C, and single notes have been interpolated, that is, added between the principal tones. Enjoy!

C-Eb-E-F-G#-A-C-Db-E-F-G#-A-C

We went with the first octave of that today-

I hereby dub it the "Lady Madonna" scale!

Ted

OK, I can take a joke as well as anybody. :rolleyes: But what's this bit about making up scales as you go? From the little bit I've read, scales conform to melodic harmonies as predicted by theory. SO all of a sudden you guys are stringing together 6 or 7 or 8 different notes and saying you've just invented a scale? Why not just work with the chromatic scale and say there are no others? Now you are creating melodies and calling them "scales". Why not call the notes in the melody for "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" a scale? What's the difference between the notes used in a melody and a scale other than the melody has no requirement to go up and then come back down?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

"OK, I can take a joke as well as anybody. But what's this bit about making up scales as you go? From the little bit I've read, scales conform to melodic harmonies as predicted by theory. SO all of a sudden you guys are stringing together 6 or 7 or 8 different notes and saying you've just invented a scale? Why not just work with the chromatic scale and say there are no others? Now you are creating melodies and calling them "scales". Why not call the notes in the melody for "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" a scale? What's the difference between the notes used in a melody and a scale other than the melody has no requirement to go up and then come back down? "

Well there's nothing new under the sun- anything I come up with has been done before and I'll find it somewhere.

I enjoy the different colors of the different modes and scales, including gapped ones, too much to just call it all chromatic, although people have done that. The notes you don't play determine the color and mood as much as the ones you do play. That's a big one for me, I rely on it.

A scale gives you something to make a melody of- it's not music in it's own right. Hopefully the melody is!

A scale is just a bag of notes, most easily expressed in ascending and descending form. There's no music in this thread- just some group of notes to play as scales or hopefully use to make some actual music.

Ted

Here`s out next chewable melodic vitamin-be sure to wash it down with some variation!

The previous scale was based on a major third-two whole tones. This scale is based on a minor third-1-1/2 semitones, or the division of an ocatve into four equal parts. Slonimsky`s Thesaurus refers to this interval as a sesquitone. A minor third, of course, can be one whole tone followed by one semitone or vice versa. This scale is constructed as alternating whole and semitones.

The basic scale is spelled, C-Eb-F#-A-C. Single notes have been ultrapolated, that is, added above the principal tones. It`s a bit intervallic, so give those fingers a stretch. Note that it starts to descend midway through.

C-F-Eb-Ab-F#-B-A-D-C-F-Eb-Ab-F#-B-A-D-C-F-Eb-Ab-F#-B-A-D-C-D-A-B-F#-Ab-Eb-F-C-D-A-B-F#-Ab-Eb-F

Having trouble with this one, Skip...

Does it start with leaps of fourths and sevenths, or are we doing a little downward stepping all along? Seems like we're eating up the octaves like nuts here. I'm trying to follow it.

Ted

Ted-

Yes, it`s downward stepping. We`re going to the ultrapolated tone, then stepping back. Next third up, to the ultrapolated tone, then stepping back.

It should be an up-back up a third-back up a third back kinda feel.

Archived