Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Plastic picks ain't making it- alternatives?

Tedly Nightshade

I recently stumbled across these brass picks. I haven't tried one, but they shore look purty. Thye *supposedly* keep the zingy noises to a minimum:

Gorilla Cymbolic Guitar Pick

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ones I've got look just the same, but don't say "Cymbalic" on them. Mine too are made of recycled cymbals, Zildjians in my case.

They are saying these picks don't produce chirpy and whistley overtones like stone and stainless steel, but I can't imagine they don't make the same noises that mine do.

Only really a problem on acoustic with single note passages on the low strings. On electric the noises don't pick up through the amp very much. Also the bronze acoustic strings are softer and get beat up by the bronze picks, where steel strings on acoustic don't get fatigued the same way.

(this from the notorious String Shredder)

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I think it was Ted that was saying he didn't like plastics but never the less I guess I'm just not that picky about my picks. The tortex suit me so far. I certainly wouldn't mind getting a real tortoise again but it's been too much trouble to find one so far.

Since I like mine thick anyway a nickle would probably suit me except for fast strumming

I read he used quarters.

I got ahold of a couple abalone picks, very nice bright silky sound, but already showing definite signs of wear after an hour.

I wonder what really lasts?

Ted

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Hmmm... I actually like really thin flexible picks for acoustic, when recording. They really bring out the high end. I can't imagine some of these rigid alternative materials sounding all that great... but I'm open for enlightenment.

Originally posted by skip:

jetboy-

Nickels have edges-not such a good choice. Didn`t Billy Gibbons use a peso coin or something like that?

yeah I heard it was a mexican peso, after that I did actually try a coin. probably was a nickel, sounded cool but i would think it would tear up your strings pretty quick

Ted-I remember reading about Tony Rice and his style. He said that tortoise shell picks should be well worn in before they start to sound good. I haven`t tried abalone. There are picks called Min`d picks (as in mined-clever), which are Brazillian quartz and very nice if a little slippery. You ain`t gonna wear those babies out soon!

Lee-Yeah, as I mentioned, the choices are more limited if flexible`s your thing. But there`s no doubt as to the sound quality. Last night I was playing with an ebony pick, and it was feeling a little slow. I changed to a brass one and suddenly my fingers were flyin`. The alternatives simply give you more-um, alternatives.

Jetboy-stay away from those nickels, dude! that kind of `livin` on the edge` is gonna cost you plenty!

Nickels don't have the grooved edges like on a quarter, which is really a nice raunchy pick, if clumsy.

Tony Rice is my man for tone. Oh yeah.

Lee, this abalone pick made me want to do some texturey shingy type acoustic overdubs, which doesn't usually occur to me.

The obsession with rigidity and mass is about being heard acoustically right along with the rockin' piano and vibes- What a gas to be HEARD! As something more hornlike than guiro -like!

I picked up a couple aluminum, copper, and a thinner brass pick today.

I'd like to try an obsidian arrowhead!

Ted

I once used a breadtag when I lost my picks... :D

sounded pretty average.. couldnt hold it neither... but it was better than nothing :D

hehe

Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Many is the breadtag I've used, and many cassette cases have been sacrificed in a pinch.

I obtained some fantastic picks today, made of semi-precious stone. Jade, agate, some others- tried obsidian but didn't go with it.

They feel good, sound good, and none of the scritchy scritchy like metal.

They look absolutely gorgeous too.

Got these off ebay- yum.

Ted

• 2 months later...

I realize that this thread was started quite a while ago, but I noticed my site mentioned somewhere herein. Thank You! Well, I've now got a special offer for this group--$5.00 off any of my "Bargain" picks or $10.00 off any others at http://www.tuskbuffer.homestead.com . As much as I'd like EVERYBODY to own bunches of my picks, I can only allow one pick per person with this offer, and I've got to set the deadline at 9/17/02.

TuskBuffer Ivory guitar picks deliver such a sweet sound and fantastic feel! Read my Customer Comments for, well, comments from my customers.

Thanks!

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

These are (Wolly) Mammoth ivory for those who don't want to get involved in anything illegal. Perfectly legal (in my limited knowledge on the subject).

I'll post here when I get my new pick. Looks cool. I'm hoping it plays the same? That'd be different for me. :D

Yes, they're pricy (and probably worth every penny of it; if you don't like the pick, at least you'll have a piece of history), but with the discount not TOO bad.

Dave.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

Since using some bronze picks I got off ebay (sold as "brass") my carefully chosen best sounding plastic picks sound very weak indeed.

The bronze is great for some things but can be pretty raspy against the wound strings. Right now I'm trying to ignore the rasp as I just can't go back to plastic.

I realize that picks are the equivalent of mallets for a vibe player- changing mallets totally changes the sound, and the only reason to have a single preferred type is because it's the only really workable one, where I was at with plastic picks.

I need to work with some other alternatives-

Tortoiseshell?

Bakelite?

Ceramic?

Hardwood?

Stone?

Ceramic?

What?

and where do I get them?

Ted

Ted ... all I can say is I sure feel lucky to love those thin sounding, breaking, squeeling Fender Thins #351's! That is what I used in the 60's and still do today! My friends show me heavy picks that give better control, sound much better, but I am too old to change. Plus, the thin ones have the tips rip off, which is sort of destructive in a politically acceptable way.

When I am not using a pick, I use my fingers, especially for some forms of blues and all forms of jazz ... even though they have those "jazz" picks.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

You're lucky alright Myles! Ah, innocence... ;):P

There really is nothing like the old fingers, I can't pick parallel 6ths, I got to grab for 'em...

Dugain is it for me-awesome variety.

The Japanese shamisen and the Chinese gu-jeng have interesting picks-the shamisen ones are very large, and the gu-jeng picks are shaped like fingernails! shamisen picks are usually tortoise shell, though.

Referring to Lee's comment about thin picks bringing out the high end- to me that's what tortoise shell is all about. A super stiff, extremely thin material...let's the highs out, but allows you to DIG IN when you want the guitar to jump. While I can afford to keep one or two tortiose shells around, I have an old favorite, and a new one that I've been playing with for about a year now...

Go into your local shop and dig through the "pick jar" on the counter...you know, the cheap ones. Find the white ones, as stiff as you can get them. Drop it on the glass countertop...if it "rings" it's the right one.

A more realiable source is the new Dunlop "gel" picks...these things are great and rival tortoise for tone. I use the heaviest ones...kind of a transparent lemon yellow. Bright attack, stiff as hell...let's me dig in and bark.

Judging from that Dugain link, I have a rosewood pick they must have made/sold... very nice indeed. I must obtain a few of these... ebony and bone look good...

I switch picks like a classical percussionist switches sticks/mallets. Never heard of anyone doing that, but to have the right beater at the right time for the right passage is SO RIGHT!

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

Judging from that Dugain link, I have a rosewood pick they must have made/sold... very nice indeed. I must obtain a few of these... ebony and bone look good...

I switch picks like a classical percussionist switches sticks/mallets. Never heard of anyone doing that, but to have the right beater at the right time for the right passage is SO RIGHT!

that`s interesting...

Archived