Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 humbuckers = Darker Sound?

GuitarWolf

I was at a guitar store 2day and i was playing this Ibanez with 2 humbuckers, i tried playing some non-metal songs like motivation by Sum 41 and it sounded different it sounded like well..."metal". Are guitars with 2 humbuckers just meant for Metal or heaver types of music?
YtseJam your Majesty!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D-Prime

Of course not. There`s no rule about it. I was just thinking this past weekend-and I may start a thread about it-that I`ve never owned a single x3

pickup guitar-always some combo with humbuckers.

Nearly all humbucker guitars have coil tapping. Might not be the same as a vintage strat but gives you less bass/midrange.

That's exactly what I plan to do when I change my HSH guitar over to Duncan pickups (my current humbuckers are two wire, not tappable), tap them so when added to the SC would be a semi Strat sound.

I'm hoping it's a good idea, and will give two different sounds out of the same guitar.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Humbucks arent JUST for distortion - but yes, they have a "thicker", more strong sound. When played clean they sound a bit more.... muffled, but thick and strong... and when distorted, they reduce "noise" (static noise) and strengthen the signal, giving a crunchier metal sound - much better with the distortion.

Myself, I like to stick with the whole "Single is for clean, double is for distortion" idea - but then again, there are a hell of a lot of songs played clean with humbucks, and prolly a few with single distorts. Dont be bound by the "rules" of guitars - just play what you think sounds right :)

Hope that helps :)

Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Archived