Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what are some good acoustic guitars....

GuitarWolf

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cobalts are outstanding guitars, especially for the money, but you did specify American Made... They are made in Korea (not by Samik... Much higher build quality fron Carvin's manufacturer) but the nuts and saddles are put on here at Carvin's factory in the U.S. and each one is set up to Carvin's specs. Consistency guitar-to-guitar is reportedly outstanding. Carvin is on top of Quality Control. Taylor was their manufacturing quality benchmark and one aspect of the Taylor guitars Carvin thought they could improve on was the area of the neck mount. This is critical to projection, and my Cobalt C980 projects like there's no tomorrow! Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Well, that's very different then. Never mind! :rolleyes::D Check out the Carvin Cobalts then! (It was the end of the 12-hour day here, so I just lost my mind for a bit. I can't believe I misinterpreted that post...) Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

A little known but decent one is Giannini, they've stopped importing them but were used on some Zepplin songs. It's also the guitar from the "Deliverence" movie and Dueling Banjos fame. Usually around $150-300 used, but kind of hard to find.

So true. The Big Baby Taylor is simply the best deal on the market for an acoustic guitar today. I've got one sitting behind me and I was SHOCKED when I played it! It was expecting a little better version of the baby. An ovation "tin sound" and a neck that felt worse than thistle. I was blown away when I played it. Not only does it have better tone than most guitars twice it's price but it has one of the nicest acoustic necks I've ever played. I know, I know, it's got screws in the fretboard and it's a slightly smaller scale than normal but I'm not kidding, this little thing has the feel and tone I'd been searching for. I had looked at the low end Martins, Ibanez, Fender, Ovation :freak: , Seagull and the cheaper Alvarez and hadn't found anything that really jumped out at me. The Big Baby was only $300 with a gigbag that'd cost you over a hundred bucks and felt and sounded better than everything I'd played for anything under $600. Unfortunatly, it belongs to my mother. (I'm only a kid ya know) I was playing it and she was looking for a cheap guitar to travel with so she got it. She never plays it except when she's leaving (her main axe is a Martin D-35) so I can play it and take it out just about whenever I want. I'll stop rambling. Big Baby Taylor - Good guitar. Great price.

I scoured around last month for a new acoustic close to your price range ($1,000.00 Canadian. No jokes please.... :rolleyes: ) and played a number of brands and models. Many good suggestions from the fellow poster's here. But I settled on a Takamine EF model. The sound was very "acoustic" in the classic sense (subjective, I know) but the quality of construction blew me away (not so subjective). The neck/fingerboard is top notch stuff. I checked the inside and noticed how clean and tidy things were, no glue drips, saw dust, splintered bracing. (yes, I am anal about that stuff with no apology! :D ) Certainly worth a demo at your local music shop.

Good luck!

except for the notes and chords, playing guitar is easy!

Archived