Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you think of the Gibson SG

pearl_rocker

Originally posted by stanner:

two words:

every sound i will ever wanna hear from an electric guitar (and an SG at that) came from this guy-may he rest in peace.

s :cry:

Geez, there's name I haven't heard in a while. when did he die?

His playing is what made me want a SG Standard, finally got a '68 as a celebration of my 2nd daughter's birth in '92. Had some fun with it but I found I really didn't like the balance that much and I also didn't like that the neck moved if i pushed forward or back, kinda like a slight vibrato. Put it away during the major child rearing days and when I started playing again I just didn't remember it as fondly.

Just traded it for a new Bad Cat Cub reverb, and replaced the humbucker sound with a custom made JET, same neck scale but way better sound and playability. I certainly wouldn't pay the $2 g's + Gibson is asking these days although I'm thankful, that's what got me the bad cat.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own a 1961 SG which looks like it has had quite a rough life, but it plays and feels wonderful.

Someone offered me 400 euro ($370) for it. Do you guys/gals think this is a reasonable offer?

I have no idea what's the value of these guitars, is there a website where I can find some info?

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by sign:

I own a 1961 SG which looks like it has had quite a rough life, but it plays and feels wonderful.

Someone offered me 400 euro ($370) for it. Do you guys/gals think this is a reasonable offer?

I have no idea what's the value of these guitars, is there a website where I can find some info?

noooooo. this is worth way more!!!

goto to ebay and see what they're going for. there's an option (completed items) that will show you guitars that have already been sold.

bob

When I was the age of most of the folks in here, there were only a few guitars you would ever see on a stage:

Gibson SG

Gibson Les Paul

An occasional ES-335

Rickenbacker 12 strings

Fender strats

Fender teles

SG's are wonderful, and if you can have two of them, get an SG Standard with the humbuckers and an SG Deluxe with the P-90's.

Then you can truly sound like Quicksilver Messenger Service, or a lot of other great groups of the past, and like a lot of folks that performed at the "real" Woodstock, rather than at the Woodstock "reissues" :)

SG Specials and Jr.s are great too.

Regards,

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Didn't they even stop making Les Pauls for a period during the mid-60's? If memory serves, I don't think you saw very many of them at Woodstock. But during the 70's arena rock era, that's a whole 'nother story.

bob

They didn't really stop making Les Paul's. They changed the design. What we think of as the SG, actually began existance as the Les Paul SG (As in second generation.) in 1961. They reintroduced the well known Les Paul shape a few years later, while retaining the SG as it's own model.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by BKeelan:

Didn't they even stop making Les Pauls for a period during the mid-60's? If memory serves, I don't think you saw very many of them at Woodstock. But during the 70's arena rock era, that's a whole 'nother story.

bob

you really didn't see too many at Woodstock but all my G-Heros played 'em. Clapton, Bloomfield, Beck even Townshend when he wasn't bust'n 'em up.

Originally posted by sign:

NO absolutely NOT, especially if it is a player. That said I'm not sure what it is really worth.

Thanks guys, I will not sell it :)

It looks like it survived the first and the second world war, but I have never played a guitar with such an 'action'.

I had to ajust the brige a little higher because it played too 'light', it's really amazing.

It feels like there are almost no strings on it!

Actually I didn't buy it myself, someone just gave it to me saying: "I have an old guitar, you can have it if you want it" :D

Yeah, I know, don't envy me please :D

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Hey guys, have a little story for you.

I went to a party yesterday/last night. The guy who owned the house it was at plays bass. He told me he also had an old SG. I told him I'd like to see it.

Finally after asking him 3 times and assuring him I knew what I was doing, he pulled the case out of the closet and showed it to me.

Let me describe the situation. It was about 1 in the morning and the 12 or so people were all pretty drunk. I didn't turn the lights in the room on because a friend was giving some girl a massage on the bed right next to me. So the only light I had was hallway light.

The first thing I noticed was it had a Bigsby vibrato (I'm pretty sure it was a Bigsby.) Do SG's have that as an option?

It was obvious this guitar had not been played in a while. The strings were nasty and old and it was way way out of tune. The back of the neck was so gummed up, it was difficult moving up and down the neck. So it played and sounded like shit.

But from what I could tell, it was in very nice shape. A good cleaning, a setup, and some new strings would breathe life back into her.

I told him I wasn't a big fan of Bigsbys, and he said he thought about replacing it with a Floyd! I said NO NO NO!

He said he thought it was a '72. Any thoughts on this guitar?

Turbodog:

Sounds lke it just needs a setup. I think some SGs came with Bigsbys. There was also a Vibrola trem that was used. I don't think it's an option now though.

A Floys on an SG would be heresy. They're too thin anyway but routing the body for a Floyd would kill that guitar. Maybe you can take it off his hands for a reasonable prix. :) Sounds like it could use a new owner who appreciated it.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by TurboDog:

...The first thing I noticed was it had a Bigsby vibrato (I'm pretty sure it was a Bigsby.) Do SG's have that as an option?...

...He said he thought it was a '72. Any thoughts on this guitar?

Yes, SG's have had Bigsby's as an option since their inception, I believe. Check with the Gruhn Guide. Do you remember if the guitar had, "Made In USA" stamped on the back with the serial number? That's a dead giveaway for a 1970's or later Gibson electric. If the serial was a 6 digit number, that would almost definitely put it between 1970 - 75.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Man, it was way too dark and I had been drinking pretty hardcore. I didn't even think to look for any markings.

I told him that it may be worth a few bucks, but I don't know much about the value of old SGs.

I mostly play Strat type guitars with 25.5 scales. The SG felt very strange. It seemed like all of the frets were farther away than with Fender type guitars.

Anyway, I told him I'd be happy to clean it up and set it up. From the few minutes I played it, I didn't feel like it needed a truss-rod adjustment or anything major.

Thanks for the info.

Archived