Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone know about a machine/pedal like this

Diddleydaddy

Recently I saw a guy play live named John Rush (www.johnrush.com). He played an Alvarez acoustic and had some pretty good chops. He used this machine or some kind of effect that would allow him to record his riffs/progressions and play them back on the spot so that he could break off into a solo. I perform solo on a semi-regular basis and would love to have someting like that. Anyone know what I'm asking about and where I could get details on it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Diddleydaddy:

Recently I saw a guy play live named John Rush (www.johnrush.com). He played an Alvarez acoustic and had some pretty good chops. He used this machine or some kind of effect that would allow him to record his riffs/progressions and play them back on the spot so that he could break off into a solo. I perform solo on a semi-regular basis and would love to have someting like that. Anyone know what I'm asking about and where I could get details on it?

It's called a looper or phrase sampler. Go to one of the big music equipment online retailers and do a search on it.
I really don't know what to put here.

Diddley,

I'm just a few miles down the road from you. John comes down to Huntsville and plays a few times a year. I've had a few conversations with him, and he sems like a real good guy.

There are a variety of pedals/rack units/etc. that enable you to loop a rythym over and over. Pod has a sampler that lets you loop a number of tracks over each other.

John's, if I recall (It's been a while since I've seen him), is a rack unit. He hits a footswitch and "records" his verse or chorus rythym, and then can access that rythym track thru the footswitch. I think that's how he does it.

I never got into rack mounted equip, so I honestly have no idea what he uses. He would probably tell you if you asked him. I know his setup is pretty elaborate for a solo acoustic act. He's a good musician. I think a Georgia alumn.

Anyway, I know Line 6 has a footswitchable modeler. I am sure there are several out there. I'm sure somebody here knows a lot more about this than me.

Line6 makes both a pedal and a rack unit that will do this. There is another rack unit call Boomerang. Also Oberheim makes a digital rack unit that they named Echoplex (not to be confused with the tape echo units) that do this also. Line6 has other effects also. The Boomerang has more memory for longer time.

Budd

Another option is to use a delay pedal that can infinitely hold the repeats. Of course, the downside of this is that you're constantly building the repeating part--you can't just start noodling. Tim Reynolds uses this to segue between songs that require him to switch guitars. (he has a volume pedal before the delay)

Originally posted by lrbreez:

[QB]Line6 makes both a pedal and a rack unit that will do this. There is another rack unit call Boomerang.

sorry,but the boomerang aint a rack unit. there are probably 50 different boxes that accomplish the task.all the tools of the trade and

all us looper guyz hang @

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I have started several threads on this exact subject over the past year. And I still don't own one! :(

If you do a search on this guitar forum for "Boomerang" or "phrase sampler," you would find those threads. I might have also posted to the SSS forum, so you could search there.

The Boomerang (Plus model) continues to intrigue me. But I keep wondering if any manufacturer has come up with anything better in the past year because the Boomerang Plus has been out at least a year, I think.

If you find anything that really gets your attention, let me know. You might even private message me so I don't miss it! Because I am _very_ interested in augmenting my live acoustic playing with one of these things. BTW, the Boomerang does have a website and if you don't find it, advise and I'll dig it up. Musician's Friend and lots of places sell them. It's a floor pedal thing for about $500.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived