Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tubes fall out of my amp.

JimK

Maybe this is weird, maybe not, but here's my problem...

I have a Fender Vibro Champ that's about 20 years old. For those not familiar with this amp, it's a 6 watt, all tube practice amp. It's a great amp. Turn the volume up past 5 and it's starts to break up beautifully. My problem is that the two power amp tubes constantly fall out of it! When I put them back in you can feel the socket sort of pushing back on them. Is this normal? It's always done this (I've had the amp for about 19 years, but haven't played in much the last 10 or so).

If I turn the amp on its side, then the tubes tend to stay put. Will this damage the tubes in any way?

Thanks.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Sings) EVERY TIME IT RAA-AINS IT RAINS...TUBES FROM HEAVEN...

Sorry. Just another smartass remark. You can disregard.

Sounds like a tube socket problem. But, this is a job for...

CAPTA-AIN TU-UUUBE AMP!!!

Yes, Captain Tubeamp, disguised by day as mild-mannered Myles Rose, forum moderator, when tubes fall, he dons his tights and becomes...

CAPTA-AIN TU-UUUBE AMP!!!

:D:D:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by JimK:

Maybe this is weird, maybe not, but here's my problem...

If I turn the amp on its side, then the tubes tend to stay put. Will this damage the tubes in any way?

Thanks.

i keep my tubeheads(dual showmans) on their sides forever(well for really long time :) and have ne'er had a problem (knock on vacuum!!)

yer mileage may vary.

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

The tube sockets sound like they are loose or otherwise defective. I'm not sure how easy it is to replace them (i.e. are they screw mounted or riveted in place, and wired).

I would first check with Myles Rose of our site for his advice. If not a big job, you can probably get new sockets and install them (if the old ones are riveted in place, you can carefully drill out the rivets and install screws or bolts in their place, and re-solder the wiring as originally done).

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll look into replacing the sockets.

Binky: interestingly enough, the two 12AX7As do have covers, and they never fall out. Two bad the others don't.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

Some of the comments here were pretty funny in some cases, or expensive in others.

Your tube sockets just need to be retensioned, as over time, the sockets metal inserts loose their spring tension.

Any tech can do this in about 10 minutes. It is just a matter of making sure the amp is unplugged and the caps are discharged, and using a jewler's screwdriver, gently bending back the fingers in the sockets to get back their tension.

An amp tech in your area should be able to do this for you for less than $20, although many have a minimum bench charge of more. If you are in my area (Los Angeles), I would be happy to do this for you for nothing as its pretty simple and on your amp, even more simple.

Regards

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Isn't he just great? I'm so jealous of his knowledge :P

(seriously. Im not mocking)

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Thanks Myles. Unfortunately, I'm in New Hampshire (and it's snowing, AGAIN! :( ). I'll look around here for a good amp tech. Thanks again.

Archived