Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey Myles, I was wondering if you could make some recomendations for a Peavey 6505. Basically what tubes and what groove tube rating to make it huge and brutal for metalcore, let me know, thanks

ECC83S in the front end and the new GT-6L6CHP in a #6-8 rating biased at 34mA is now favored over the 6L6S that used to be the real deal in these and the XXX and 5150 amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hey, Myles,

A buddy is jonesin' for an all tube 300 watt SVT head, but budget dictates he'll likely go used. Are there years to avoid, or have Ampegs remanied consistent?

It is not as much a year to avoid, it is more a matter of what shape the amp is in and whether it has been properly maintained.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi, Myles,

I just replaced the power transformer in my Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve with one from a junk 1484. It's been years since it's played, and when I powered it up and plugged into channel one, nothing happened except a very loud hum. In channel two, plugging in brought the hum down and everything seemed to work, though it seemed more distorted than I remember. It was sweet distortion, though, kind of a nice surprise. Both the reverb and trem worked as before. Then I got a surprise I wasn't expecting. I brushed my forearm against the high E string and got jolted with a definite shock. I had socks on my feet and apparantly stepped on the concrete between the carpet scraps in my basement, good enough ground to zap me. Could this be leaky caps? I wanted to replace most of the caps when I did the xformer, but decided that I couldn't put them in the budget at the moment. I have some spare tubes and have tried swapping the preamp section one by one, but channel one continues to hum badly with no signal.

Thanks,

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Okay, Myles, here's the skinny. I got that Reverend Goblin I have been writing to you about sort of fixed. I got a replacement reverb tank from Joe Naylor, installed it, and the reverb came back. And, I thought I had the distortion problem fixed, by replacing the 5751 I had in it with a 12AX7. I figured the 5751 I had bought for it went south or something. But, no matter how low I set the input volume and how high I set the master volume, it never really gets clean. I would just say that it's not a sound that's in that amp, but it used to be there. It would get very clean and pretty loud at the same time, right after I replaced the EH 6V6s that it came with and put in the GT 6V6s. The amp was rebiased for the GTs, and the reverb tank replaced, as I said before. Can you suggest anything else, or should I just try to sell the silly thing?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by thanny XIII:

Myles,

Is there a way that i canchange a tune omatic seven bridge on my washburn, to a locking trem cost effectivly

I do not know as I have my guitar work done by other folks.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by henrysb3:

Hi, Myles,

I just replaced the power transformer in my Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve with one from a junk 1484. It's been years since it's played, and when I powered it up and plugged into channel one, nothing happened except a very loud hum. In channel two, plugging in brought the hum down and everything seemed to work, though it seemed more distorted than I remember. It was sweet distortion, though, kind of a nice surprise. Both the reverb and trem worked as before. Then I got a surprise I wasn't expecting. I brushed my forearm against the high E string and got jolted with a definite shock. I had socks on my feet and apparantly stepped on the concrete between the carpet scraps in my basement, good enough ground to zap me. Could this be leaky caps? I wanted to replace most of the caps when I did the xformer, but decided that I couldn't put them in the budget at the moment. I have some spare tubes and have tried swapping the preamp section one by one, but channel one continues to hum badly with no signal.

Thanks,

Henry

Get the amp to a qualified tech before you kill yourself.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Picker:

Okay, Myles, here's the skinny. I got that Reverend Goblin I have been writing to you about sort of fixed. I got a replacement reverb tank from Joe Naylor, installed it, and the reverb came back. And, I thought I had the distortion problem fixed, by replacing the 5751 I had in it with a 12AX7. I figured the 5751 I had bought for it went south or something. But, no matter how low I set the input volume and how high I set the master volume, it never really gets clean. I would just say that it's not a sound that's in that amp, but it used to be there. It would get very clean and pretty loud at the same time, right after I replaced the EH 6V6s that it came with and put in the GT 6V6s. The amp was rebiased for the GTs, and the reverb tank replaced, as I said before. Can you suggest anything else, or should I just try to sell the silly thing?

Somebody needs to look at the voltages across the circuit.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by TheOtherLee:

Hey Myles, hope your doing well. Minor question for ya, if I need a 1k5 resistor but only have a 1k and a 500ohm can i solder them in parrallel as a substitute?

Cheers

A 1K and 500 in parallel is 1.5K It would be if in series.

Just buy the proper resistor. They are inexpensive and don't mickey mouse things using this sort of method.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Okay, Myles, here's the skinny. I got that Reverend Goblin ...

Which circuit? If I tell a tech "look at the voltages across the circuit" will he know what I mean?

Okay, Myles, here's the skinny. I got that Reverend Goblin ...

Which circuit? If I tell a tech "look at the voltages across the circuit" will he know what I mean?
Yes

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I spoke with Joe Naylor again, and he suggested trying different power tubes to see if they are the problem. IS there any way you can think of that a set of GT 6V6Cs performance rated at 6 would go south in a Goblin, maybe if the amp weren't biased right for them and you ran it that way for a while?

Myles,

I spoke with Joe Naylor again, and he suggested trying different power tubes to see if they are the problem. IS there any way you can think of that a set of GT 6V6Cs performance rated at 6 would go south in a Goblin, maybe if the amp weren't biased right for them and you ran it that way for a while?

If the amp were underbiased the tubes were trashed if the amp ran for more than 15 minutes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

If the amp were underbiased the tubes were trashed if the amp ran for more than 15 minutes.

Well, the amp sounded great after the GTs were installed for a lot longer than 15 minutes. I wouldn't know if it was underbiased or not. All I know is that it used to sound good, and for some it reason, it stopped sounding good. And, I paid close to $40 to have the amp biased for a $30 set of tubes that I now find out may have been trashed before the biasing, and the dumb butt tech who did it either didn't know, or didn't give a rat.

Dirty word dirty word, cuss cuss cuss!

Get the amp to a qualified tech before you kill yourself.

Which reminds me to unplug my wife's Dell laptop until we know if it's one of the self-igniting ones.

As I don't anticipate needing an amp that powerful to use at home, and I don't plan on taking it (that aged eq,) on the road, so I'm probably going to sell the Silvertone and it's junk fraternal twin. I plan to sell it in a bundle "as is" and indicate it needs work. The construction seems pretty solid, but I know caps wear out, as do transformers, which can cause fires just as well as Dell laptops. I'd never played my strat thru the 1484 before, and it did sound kinda magical with the trem and light reverb.

We had an Explorer with the dread Firestones, but were lucky I guess.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Well, the amp sounded great after the GTs were installed for a lot longer than 15 minutes. I wouldn't know if it was underbiased or not. All I know is that it used to sound good, and for some it reason, it stopped sounding good. And, I paid close to $40 to have the amp biased for a $30 set of tubes that I now find out may have been trashed before the biasing, and the dumb butt tech who did it either didn't know, or didn't give a rat.

If you are anywhere near me I'd be happy to look at the amp for free.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I have a question regarding the "reduced" power modes available on some Rivera amp models like the Fandango and Knucklehead. The ability to reduce the power by at least half seems appealing to me as it would address my problem of very rarely needing a 50W amplifier. What can one expect in terms of the tonal qualities of this type of setup when running at a reduced power level? Is it possible that this type of configuration would make a good practice/small club amp while still having more than enough power to keep up with a loud drummer when needed?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Originally posted by Dan1122:

Myles,

I have a question regarding the "reduced" power modes available on some Rivera amp models like the Fandango and Knucklehead. The ability to reduce the power by at least half seems appealing to me as it would address my problem of very rarely needing a 50W amplifier. What can one expect in terms of the tonal qualities of this type of setup when running at a reduced power level? Is it possible that this type of configuration would make a good practice/small club amp while still having more than enough power to keep up with a loud drummer when needed?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

The Rivera amps that have this feature are great at it ....

They have two options in the same amp for the most part ....

One is lowering the plate voltages and the other is switching from pentode to triode mode.

They all work great and sound great.

In my own TBR-1M I can switch between these wattages per side ...

60/30/15/8 by using the low/hi and pentode/triode switches.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

It's a long stump from KC to LA., but thanx for the offer.

Since the amp is biased for 6V6Cs preformance rated 6, if I got another set of the same tubes, would the biasing still be right?

quote:

It's a long stump from KC to LA., but thanx for the offer.

Since the amp is biased for 6V6Cs preformance rated 6, if I got another set of the same tubes, would the biasing still be right?

If the same tubes of the same rating no bias adjustment is needed.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, are Groove Tubes still making the KT66HPs? I went to go order them from the site for my dual rectifier and didn't see them

Nope .... they are gone and our tooling in Russia is who knows where..... we may never see them again.

GT currently has the KT66C.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, are Groove Tubes still making the KT66HPs? I went to go order them from the site for my dual rectifier and didn't see them

Nope .... they are gone and our tooling in Russia is who knows where..... we may never see them again.

Why were they discontinued and how does the KT66Cs compare to the HPs?

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Is there any way to order a set of 6V6Cs specifically with a "6" rating direct from GT? I went out to the website, and they only offer ranges (1-3, 4-7, & 8-10). Paying $40 and shipping is a better than spending another $40 on re-biasing AND paying for a new set of tubes, too.

Why were they discontinued and how does the KT66Cs compare to the HPs?
They were not discontinued.

If you read all the info on the problems at the Sovtek plant, Reflector, Mike Matthews, etc ... that is where the GT tooling was and GT had a production line for the exclusive HP for many years. When problems happened with the Russian government the GT line's operation was stopped.

The C sounds nice but it is not what the HP was.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Is there any way to order a set of 6V6Cs specifically with a "6" rating direct from GT? I went out to the website, and they only offer ranges (1-3, 4-7, & 8-10). Paying $40 and shipping is a better than spending another $40 on re-biasing AND paying for a new set of tubes, too.
All you have to do is put a comment in the order comment section asking for "number 6 only please". If you say you are a client of mine they give the order to me and I will hand pick a set of 6's and trace match them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

All you have to do is put a comment in the order comment section asking for "number 6 only please". If you say you are a client of mine they give the order to me and I will hand pick a set of 6's and trace match them.

Very cool, thanx much. I'll put the order in tonight.