Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by Picker:

Originally posted by myles111:

I got back in touch with Joe Naylor at Reverend, and told him what I had discovered with the tube switching...I'll let you know what the final result is.

Thanks for the feedback.

Good luck and hope it all gets resolved fast.

I heard from Joe Naylor, and he said:

Mike,

It's all working good, will ship back tomorrow. Note the following:

1) Second stage (2nd from right, if facing back of amp) EH 12AX7 was bad. I replaced it with a Sovtek 12AX7WC. I recommend sticking with a Sovtek in that particular position. The 2nd stage is hard on EH for some reason.

2) The speaker mounting screws were very loose, causing distortion. I tightened it up, and it got louder and cleaner.

3) I moved your 12AT7 from the reverb stage to the 1st stage. This made the gain cleaner. The 1st stage is the most sensitive stage to different tube types/brands.

4) I put a EH 12AX7 in the reverb stage. This brought the reverb level back up to stock.

The amp is on it's way back, apparently with all problems solved. Any ideas on why a Sovtek 12AX7 would last longer in the second stage of that amp than an EH 12AX7s? [/QB]

I dislike 12AT7s in a first gain stage. Use a 5751.

The EH and Sovtek would have no longevity advantage or disadvantage over one another.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

The EH and Sovtek would have no longevity advantage or disadvantage over one another.

So what's he doing, the equivalent of a soundman touching a knob on the board and smiling when he gets a request from a jerky musican for "more sparkle" in the mains mix? Is this a placebo?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

So what's he doing, the equivalent of a soundman touching a knob on the board and smiling when he gets a request from a jerky musican for "more sparkle" in the mains mix? Is this a placebo?
I do not understand if you are asking me a direct question

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hey, Myles

On Fender amps we now see Fender's name on the actual Groove Tubes. What's the affiliation? Fender does not list Groove as a subsidiary on its website.

Fender has used GT to supply all their tubes for years. They also sell their own Fender/GT branded tubes as replacements for their own amps.

There are many other amp makers that use GT tubes as OEM equipment.

Fender also color codes their output tubes:

Red = GT 8-10 hardness range

White = GT 4-7

Blue = GT 1-3

The above is explained (rating) here:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Rating.html

The 6L6GE is the original issue output tube in Fender's high end amps from their custom shop as well as in their Bassman LTD reissue.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Bluesape:

I knew other makers used them - are the Fender labeled ones just that, different only by label?

The only difference is the silk screening.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I have a Fender Blues Deluxe, a couple years old. I have two issues with this amp, and wonder if there's a quick fix for either.

First, most of the effective range of the volume pots is at the bottom end. I'm often using it at home, where I don't need the volume, but it's hard to find the right spot around 1. I mean, it's hard to believe, but they seem like linear taper pots, not audio taper. What's with that? Is there an easy fix?

Second, it would be nice to have a single pot to control the level on both channels, keeping the ratio constant. Is there a good reason they didn't do this, other than that it would have taken another pot and opamp or gain stage? Do you have any good ideas how someone might do this, without defacing the amp in case I want to sell it?

I suspect I could the Master pot with a double ganged pot (whatever they're called), and putting the second pot in series with the (clean channel) Volume pot -- but I'm afraid that wouldn't keep the volume ratio constant.

Is this the kind of thing best done by a pro? I'm handy with a soldering iron but don't know much about circuit design, being a software guy.

Thanks!

Jeff

Myles,

Hopefully, I can explain this well enough.

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I've had for a few months now (and am very happy with it).

Lately though, I've been getting some static noise from it every once in awhile. I thought maybe it was just an old cable but I replaced that and I still get it sometimes. I thought maybe it was the guitar I was playing but I'm getting it from both guitars that I own.

I wish I could be more explicit than this but I can't. Since I have plans to play a live venue or two within 4 months, I obviously don't want this noise.

I'll probably just take it to an authorized Fender repair place in the future but maybe you can help.

Originally posted by learjeff:

I have a Fender Blues Deluxe, a couple years old. I have two issues with this amp, and wonder if there's a quick fix for either.

First, most of the effective range of the volume pots is at the bottom end. I'm often using it at home, where I don't need the volume, but it's hard to find the right spot around 1. I mean, it's hard to believe, but they seem like linear taper pots, not audio taper. What's with that? Is there an easy fix?

Second, it would be nice to have a single pot to control the level on both channels, keeping the ratio constant. Is there a good reason they didn't do this, other than that it would have taken another pot and opamp or gain stage? Do you have any good ideas how someone might do this, without defacing the amp in case I want to sell it?

I suspect I could the Master pot with a double ganged pot (whatever they're called), and putting the second pot in series with the (clean channel) Volume pot -- but I'm afraid that wouldn't keep the volume ratio constant.

Is this the kind of thing best done by a pro? I'm handy with a soldering iron but don't know much about circuit design, being a software guy.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,

These amps are somewhat less than user friendly to work on as all the pots are PCB mounted and there are a lot of ribbon cables etc.

This would best be left to a pro and it is probably going to be quite pricy.

I would just buy an amp that does more of what you want it to do.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Myles,

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I've had for a few months now (and am very happy with it).

Lately though, I've been getting some static noise from it every once in awhile. I thought maybe it was just an old cable but I replaced that and I still get it sometimes. I thought maybe it was the guitar I was playing but I'm getting it from both guitars that I own.

I wish I could be more explicit than this but I can't. Since I have plans to play a live venue or two within 4 months, I obviously don't want this noise.

I'll probably just take it to an authorized Fender repair place in the future but maybe you can help.

Swap the first two preamp tubes with each other and see if things change and let me know.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Swap the first two preamp tubes with each other and see if things change and let me know.
Sigh... just give me the Darwin award today. :eek:

I didn't need to swap them. One of the preamp tubes wasn't fully seated. It seems to be ok now.

Thanks.

Myles,

Sigh... just give me the Darwin award today. :eek:

I didn't need to swap them. One of the preamp tubes wasn't fully seated. It seems to be ok now.

Thanks.

There ya go .... happy playing!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by learjeff:

Thanks, Myles. Sometimes the best advice is "don't bother" and it sure helps to know that before getting started!

Jeff,

No-Problem-o

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Jeff, you probably thought of this already, but you can fine-tune the volume if you're going through a pedal. I use a Fulltone OCD going into my Blues Junior and the level pot on that is much more useful than the touchy Master Volume. Sounds great, too, especially when you get rid of the Sovtek tubes.

There are some other Blues Junior mods, which may apply to the Blues Deluxe as well. I didn't notice anything about a master volume tweak, though. I've done these mods and still don't like the sound of the BJ distortion as much as my OCD.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/machrone/bluesjunior.htm

Myles,

I was redirected here after coming over from the bass player forum and posting in a seperate thread.

One of my guitar players recently dusted off a Dean Markley Signature Series T-120R and amazed me with the sound. I asked him why he didn't use it more often and he told me to try picking it up. :rolleyes:

Getting to my point, he's been looking for info on the amp and/or an owner's manual. Can you help here? Do you know anything about this amp other than it being a 120W amp made in the mid-80s? Have you ever had/used one? Offer any advice on replacement tubes for guys who don't know anything about tubes? Have a .pdf owner's manual?

Thanks in advance.

I do not understand if you are asking me a direct question
Sorry, I was asking if the guy was saying the Sovtek would last longer in that position than an EH as a way of giving me the same sort of cure as a doctor who gives a hypochondriac patient a sugar pill? A placebo is a fake medicine, a "sugar pill" that is sometimes given to a patient in hopes that it will psych them into feelng better because the think they are getting real medicine.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

hi myles,

one more question about the groove tubes soul-o 45 1x12 combo. i have the gain and the volume both up about halfway and i'm getting a humming sound (the sound is actually a "b" on the guitar- 5th string, second fret). is this pretty normal for this amp? it would probably be unnoticeable with a full band but is quite noticeable in my apartment. i just had the amp retubed/rebiased today with top quality tubes. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Originally posted by davio:

Myles,

I was redirected here after coming over from the bass player forum and posting in a seperate thread.

One of my guitar players recently dusted off a Dean Markley Signature Series T-120R and amazed me with the sound. I asked him why he didn't use it more often and he told me to try picking it up. :rolleyes:

Getting to my point, he's been looking for info on the amp and/or an owner's manual. Can you help here? Do you know anything about this amp other than it being a 120W amp made in the mid-80s? Have you ever had/used one? Offer any advice on replacement tubes for guys who don't know anything about tubes? Have a .pdf owner's manual?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I cannot help.

Never saw one.

Contact the factory as Dean Markley folks are pretty helpful.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by jbro:

hi myles,

one more question about the groove tubes soul-o 45 1x12 combo. i have the gain and the volume both up about halfway and i'm getting a humming sound (the sound is actually a "b" on the guitar- 5th string, second fret). is this pretty normal for this amp? it would probably be unnoticeable with a full band but is quite noticeable in my apartment. i just had the amp retubed/rebiased today with top quality tubes. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

This is not normal at all.

The S-45 is one of the most dead quiet amps of all time even cranked pretty darn high.

I would want to know what output tubes are in the amp and also know where the bias was set.

In a new set you could have a tube that failed ... this happened to me recently during sound check for Michael Burks ten minutes after a new quad of EL-84 tubes were installed in his MAZ 38. It happens ... and mismatched output tubes or a failed one will hum as you describe.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks Myles.

I contacted them and they gave me the phone number of their former designer (the guy who designed the amp) and I'm still trying to get ahold of him. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have email.

Thank you.

UPDATE: I just got ahold of Terry Laul (the designer) who couldn't help with an owner's manual but gave me the lowdown on the kinds of tubes used in the head and also told me to hang on to his number because he still has transformers, pots and other parts used in the amp available in case my guitarist ever need to replace anything. Very cool in my book.

All in all, very pleased with Dean Markley customer service and Terry Laul.

Originally posted by davio:

Thanks Myles.

I contacted them and they gave me the phone number of their former designer (the guy who designed the amp) and I'm still trying to get ahold of him. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have email.

Thank you.

UPDATE: I just got ahold of Terry Laul (the designer) who couldn't help with an owner's manual but gave me the lowdown on the kinds of tubes used in the head and also told me to hang on to his number because he still has transformers, pots and other parts used in the amp available in case my guitarist ever need to replace anything. Very cool in my book.

All in all, very pleased with Dean Markley customer service and Terry Laul.

Those guys at Dean Markley have a pretty stellar reputation for their service.

Happy playing.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by jross68052:

Myles,

I have installed a new pair of JJ's 6L6 in my ten year old Fender Prosonic. They sound incredible in the calss A mode. My Bias probe says 70 ma. in this mode. Is this too hot?

Thanks,

Joe

If you are measuring the tubes in class A mode that is not at all too hot. That is a good number.

In grid biased mode it should read about 1/2 that.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles I have a good friend of mine that has as Showman head, original late 60's vintage. All of a sudden he has lost just about all his bass response and everything seems to be mid to high range? with the bass control full up it sounds like he is running NO bass at all. What could be causing this problem? Thanks ...LEE

Originally posted by ellwood:

Myles I have a good friend of mine that has as Showman head, original late 60's vintage. All of a sudden he has lost just about all his bass response and everything seems to be mid to high range? with the bass control full up it sounds like he is running NO bass at all. What could be causing this problem? Thanks ...LEE

Could be anything from a blown output transformer to a bad diode in the bridge rectifier to a bad cap in the tone circuit to output tubes (one or more that are shot) to bias to ....

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr