Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Myles, I had a weird thought. Since the tech rebiased the amp with possibly damaged tubes, would the tubes being damaged affect the biasing enough that the amp wouldn't be biased right for undamaged tubes?

Wow, I'm dizzy from saying that...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Picker:

Myles, I had a weird thought. Since the tech rebiased the amp with possibly damaged tubes, would the tubes being damaged affect the biasing enough that the amp wouldn't be biased right for undamaged tubes?

Wow, I'm dizzy from saying that...

If you are not sure have a tech check and adjust the bias.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by Picker:

I have never had this much trouble with an amp before. I'm about ready to trade the bloody thing for a modeling amp. And I hate modeling amps.

I have no issues with modeling amps ... like them for a lot of things ... but I can understand your feelings toward this amp but it may be a problem by the tech.

I would want to know the swing of the bias pot range and the readings from min to max on pin 5 when no output tubes are installed.

I would also want to scope the voltage here and make sure it is stable DC voltage.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Hey Myles,

Any thoughts/opinions on BluesLand BluesMonster amps?

Thanks.

Never heard of them

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I used to play bass clarinet in high school and I'm able to stumble through some piano. So, I've been a musician for awhile and I'm pretty devoted. Well, I'm left handed and I want to learn to play guitar, and I'm just wondering what would be better to buy. Either I can get a cheap CHEAP $10 guitar off of ebay or I can buy a much better guitar for around $200, slightly used or maybe brand new, but not the best. Is it going to be harder to learn on a really cheap guitar? I would appreciate specifics on what a good guitar would be for me.

In addition, I am wondering about what type of guitar to buy. Even though I don't have an amp, would it be worth the extra money for an acoustic electric just so I can have the flexibility?

Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by WWatson:

I used to play bass clarinet in high school and I'm able to stumble through some piano. So, I've been a musician for awhile and I'm pretty devoted. Well, I'm left handed and I want to learn to play guitar, and I'm just wondering what would be better to buy. Either I can get a cheap CHEAP $10 guitar off of ebay or I can buy a much better guitar for around $200, slightly used or maybe brand new, but not the best. Is it going to be harder to learn on a really cheap guitar? I would appreciate specifics on what a good guitar would be for me.

In addition, I am wondering about what type of guitar to buy. Even though I don't have an amp, would it be worth the extra money for an acoustic electric just so I can have the flexibility?

Thanks for your time.

This is all really personal preference.

A better guitar with nicer action will make you want to play more often and be less discourging.

I would find a local music store and establish a relationship with them. The relationship and face to face advice are worth much more than the savings you may find on ebay and you can also try out a few things easily.

There are many great acoustic and electrified acoustic guitars under $200 and many in the $125 or so range for acoustic alone that are nicely made, sound pretty darn nice and have decent action. A good shop will also adjust the action in many cases or do a set-up which will make the guitar much easier to play.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by cheesey:

Hi Myles , I want to get a smokin set of tubes for my 1974x amp. 2 el84, 3 ecc83 and an ez81.

$200 max.

any favorites nos or current?

thanks

On the rectifier, if the stock one is working just keep it.

On the output tubes ... the EL84S in a 5-6 rating are great.

But .... for the front end hit Mike at www.kcanostubes.com and go for either Brimars or RFT NOS tubes.

A Brimar in V1 and RFT in V2 and V3 are great in these magic amps. If you talk to Mike tell him you want a balanced one for V3 ... he only charges about $2 more for a matched tube and does a great job.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

My Gilmore seems to have gotten very bright, so I'm thinking of changing tubes. What do you (GT)have and recommend for a warmer 6n1p or equivalent and/or the V1 tube?

GT does not have those.

check at www.tubesandmore.com

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Myles,

My Gilmore seems to have gotten very bright, so I'm thinking of changing tubes. What do you (GT)have and recommend for a warmer 6n1p or equivalent and/or the V1 tube?

GT does not have those.

They don't either. Other suggestions for a 6n1p or suggestions for a substitute?

Originally posted by myles111:

Myles,

GT does not have those.

They don't either. Other suggestions for a 6n1p or suggestions for a substitute?
There is no sub.

Try my website in the tube vendor area and go to Vintage Electron.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I've joined a cover band as a guitarist after playing bass for years and need to think about amplification/effects. I've not thought about guitar gear for many years. I will need a wide range of sounds and am tempted by a modelling amp or Pod. I have an old MusicMan combo that could maybe be rejuvenated and may yet go down that route but I think I'm more likely to go for the modelling amp solution. Under consideration are:

- Pox xt Live, plus amp plus cab. Right now this is probably my preferred solution. I'm thinking with the XT what I need is clean, uncoloured power. Possibly the Crate Powerhead, plus a 1 x12" or the Tech 21 Power Engine 60. I'd be very interested in your thoughts on suitable amp/cabs if you think the Pod is a good solution for live playing.

- an alternative would be a modelling amp, either a Line 6 or Fender or other. My back isn't in great shape so portability is important.

My gut feel is the XT plus an amp/cab should sound as good and with more flexibility but I would be interested in your thoughts.

Originally posted by bc:

Hi Myles,

I've joined a cover band as a guitarist after playing bass for years and need to think about amplification/effects. I've not thought about guitar gear for many years. I will need a wide range of sounds and am tempted by a modelling amp or Pod. I have an old MusicMan combo that could maybe be rejuvenated and may yet go down that route but I think I'm more likely to go for the modelling amp solution. Under consideration are:

- Pox xt Live, plus amp plus cab. Right now this is probably my preferred solution. I'm thinking with the XT what I need is clean, uncoloured power. Possibly the Crate Powerhead, plus a 1 x12" or the Tech 21 Power Engine 60. I'd be very interested in your thoughts on suitable amp/cabs if you think the Pod is a good solution for live playing.

- an alternative would be a modelling amp, either a Line 6 or Fender or other. My back isn't in great shape so portability is important.

My gut feel is the XT plus an amp/cab should sound as good and with more flexibility but I would be interested in your thoughts.

BC ....

Most of this is personal taste and requirements.

Look on my GAB website as I have some bits of info on modeling amps and their advantages.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles

I agree that these are questions of personal taste and requirements. However it's about 25 years since I last played guitar in a multi-style cover band, and more than 20 since I played guitar in a gigging band at all (or through an amp, come to that). I don't have recent personal experience to make informed choices. There are limits to what one can learn from testing equipment in music stores etc and I'm reconciled to my first purchases being more on the basis of research than personal preference.

I had already read your pieces on Line 6 in the world's best amps section, which is the main reason I posted the question here. I was very impressed by your knowledge of the subject, and also by your ability to keep an open mind and trust your ears in an area where prejudice often seems to get in the way of an objective response.

What you don't do in the pieces I have read is go into any detail about how modelling amps compare with one another (as opposed to tube amps), what kind of amplification you think works well with the Pod, and specifically whether you think the XT is a good live solution (although I've seen posts where you make positive reference to the XT as a guitarist's tool). If you have written on these specific topics I'd be most grateful if you could point me to where those pieces can be found.

Thanks.

Originally posted by bc:

Hi Myles

I agree that these are questions of personal taste and requirements. However it's about 25 years since I last played guitar in a multi-style cover band, and more than 20 since I played guitar in a gigging band at all (or through an amp, come to that). I don't have recent personal experience to make informed choices. There are limits to what one can learn from testing equipment in music stores etc and I'm reconciled to my first purchases being more on the basis of research than personal preference.

I had already read your pieces on Line 6 in the world's best amps section, which is the main reason I posted the question here. I was very impressed by your knowledge of the subject, and also by your ability to keep an open mind and trust your ears in an area where prejudice often seems to get in the way of an objective response.

What you don't do in the pieces I have read is go into any detail about how modelling amps compare with one another (as opposed to tube amps), what kind of amplification you think works well with the Pod, and specifically whether you think the XT is a good live solution (although I've seen posts where you make positive reference to the XT as a guitarist's tool). If you have written on these specific topics I'd be most grateful if you could point me to where those pieces can be found.

Thanks.

I have not compared the modelling amps ... just not enough time.

I do like the Line 6 stuff and the Vox amps.

it boils down to your own preference, wallet, and feature set.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Miles

I hope you can shed a little light on this one.

I am looking for around a 20w valve amp and I am looking at Fender blues junior but also a Hi-watt G20. i have tried the fender and own a couple of fender amps but how does the Hi-watt stack up against it. Are they the quality they claim, and how do you rate the clean channel on them

Thanks for any help you can give me

Cheers

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by The Big G:

Miles

I hope you can shed a little light on this one.

I am looking for around a 20w valve amp and I am looking at Fender blues junior but also a Hi-watt G20. i have tried the fender and own a couple of fender amps but how does the Hi-watt stack up against it. Are they the quality they claim, and how do you rate the clean channel on them

Thanks for any help you can give me

Cheers

G

G

I'm sorry but I cannot help you here. I have not played the smaller Hiwatt. I can say that the larger Hiwatts are built very well.

Maybe post this topic as a question in the general guitar area as there are probably folks out there that could give some cool advice and feedback.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by The Big G:

not probs myles, thanks anyway

G

Love that guitar in your avatar by the way.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hi myles,

i'm new here and am really enjoying this forum alot so far. question:

i have an alessandro working dog (doberman model with el-34's) and i'm looking for an amp that basically will give me a totally clean sound with no breakup. i'm playing in a 12 piece r&b band and i've noticed that the alessandro breaks up a little too early. i have a pedalboard if i need od or distortion and have heard alot about the soul-o 45 amps. i've never heard one and i even called groove tubes to see where i could demo one of their soul-o 50 combos and was told that it's mail order only.

so basically, i'm turning to you to help me make up my mind. i have a chance to pick up a used soul-o 45. also, what is a reasonable price for a used soul-o 45? thanks a ton.

jb

Originally posted by jbro:

hi myles,

i'm new here and am really enjoying this forum alot so far. question:

i have an alessandro working dog (doberman model with el-34's) and i'm looking for an amp that basically will give me a totally clean sound with no breakup. i'm playing in a 12 piece r&b band and i've noticed that the alessandro breaks up a little too early. i have a pedalboard if i need od or distortion and have heard alot about the soul-o 45 amps. i've never heard one and i even called groove tubes to see where i could demo one of their soul-o 50 combos and was told that it's mail order only.

so basically, i'm turning to you to help me make up my mind. i have a chance to pick up a used soul-o 45. also, what is a reasonable price for a used soul-o 45? thanks a ton.

jb

The S-45 is always in hard core demand and it is a VERY different amp than the S-30 or S-50.

As far as the price, it is always all over the map. I have seen some on ebay now and then for less than $500 but have seen other sell for over $1500 in shops or when they change hands between folks that know what they are.

If you can find a Dr. Z KT-45, that is an amp capable of very high clean headroom and the pentode front end is a master at pedals. It is a class A/B EL-34 amp but can sound a lot like a big bold 6L6 amps as well.

The S-45 has some cool features outside of the design that was centered around it being an amp to be used with pedals from the get go. You can use any 6L6, 5881, KT-66, EL34 type, 6550, KT88 etc., due to a very unique output transformer that was custom done by Mercury Magnetics. The effects loop works pretty nicely if you are an effects loop fan. The tone stack is a cathode follower tone stack ala Marshall or Fender tweed bassman (not Fender tolex years).

About a year or two ago GT had parts and chassis in the warehouse and I asked to have about a half a dozen of these built for friends. They were gone in a flash and sold for the last published retail price that was posted when they were still originally produced.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hi myles,

thanks for the info. i forgot to mention that i wanted a lightweight 1x12 combo. i don't think the kt-45's come in combos.

Actually, the KT-45 was available in a combo but I do not think many were built.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by gundog:

Myles - Posted a question under Mark 1 in error, hoping you could take a look and offer a little help. Thanks

Please repost here.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hi again myles,

what tubes (preamp & power amp) would you put in a gt soul-o 45 to get the most clean headroom out of the amp. thanks.

jb

The amp is capable of more clean headroom than just about anything short of a Fender Twin but in the output section use KT88SV in a #7-8 rating biased at 50mA.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr