Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

Myles,

Thanks for this great thread!

I have dusted, shined, and powered up my Vox Berkeley II Super Reverb Twin. I've owned this since it was about 5 years old- original Bulldogs, stand and covers (but no footswitch) :(

My immediate needs are low-level practice and recording. As is, with either the original tubes (which get thermal and crap out randomly) or the Sylvanias c. 1975, 17 watts is too loud!

Can you steer me in the direction of tubes which might break up sweetly at a little lower level?

Doug Osborne

Doug ....

GREAT AMP. Personally, I prefer your amp to the AC-30's. They record fantastically, and live, they stomp all over most class A/B amps of even 40 watts.

The BIG problem with them is just what you brought up.

Now ... we sell a LOT of EL-84's at my "day job" at GT. BUT .... not to send business away, I have to say that there are tubes that work in most amps most of the time, and there are those that do the magic. In your amp, there are much better choices than new production tubes.

There are very few choices, but remember, while some of these are very pricy, they also last at least three times longer than new tubes.

KCA over at www.kcatubes.com (Mike), is a fellow I send a lot of my personal clients to, and use myself.

His stock is always changing, but he had listed:

NOS JAN Philips ECG (Emporium PA)-----$ 75 Per matched pair

Great sounding in guitar amps! Very few remaining in stock.------------$ 150 Per matched quartet

..... thank goodness you have a duet amp and not a quad output set amp if you consider these.

NOS GE 6BQ5/EL84------$ 70 Per matched pair

--$ 140 Per matched quartet

Excellent in your Blues Jr., Matchless, Vox AC-30, AC-15 or Dr. Z amp.

Sweet sounding in guitar and audiophile amps. Some in original GE boxes, some labeled and boxed as Admiral.

NOS RCA 6BQ5/EL84---------$ 75 Per matched pair

No quartets in stock.

Great in hi-fi gear and guitar amps when maximum clean headroom is desired.

Then over at Vacuum Tube Valley ... yup, the guys that publish the journal, they have:

JAN/Philips EL84 One of the best sounding EL84 6BQ5 types available in matched pairs and quads. Super performance in high-quality boutique guitar amps and vintage audio equipment. $35 each, $70 matched pair or $140 matched quad ....

(a bit cheaper than KCA, but may not be of the same years).

and from VTV for folks that can play and have the touch that is a lot better than mine:

Mullard EL84 - (Philips Box) CV2975/7189 NOS/NIB A super performance version of the Mullard EL84/7189. These are sweet, powerful and extremely musical. This is very desirable EL84 variant. Great for Boogie, Bruno, Dr. Z, Marshall, Budda, and Vox guitar amps. We now have these in matched pairs and quads. Awesome in your EL84 guitar or hi-fi tube amps! British made with Philips logo and box. Made in Blackburn, UK the Mullard factory! $150/matched pair

$300/matched quad

( pretty high, and I'd go for the cheaper stuff, but that is just me ).

I hope that was of some help!

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Thanks Myles for the offer, but I am in Michigan and there is a dealer called Huber and Breese that does stock the Uni. Unfortunately, he is one of many dealers between Detroit and Chicago that does not have an amp room to play things thru. Not a big deal, but I really admire a place that does. I will be trying it out soon if they let me slave the Uni out to a Fender amp. I'll let you know how it goes. Still, without your insight, I would not have even thought about it.Sidenote: I did read the debacle in HC and take your side entirely. You and others have offered so much info, but some will always find fault.Cheers to those(you), who chase knowledge to the end.

One more idea Myles for you and Eric Johnson to protect his hearing. Using an a/b switch - have 2 Univalves, one with 6l6's and the other with el34's or 6550's also using 2 Fender Pro Reverbs. A little expensive, but should be able to do the Eric Johnson clean and crunch at any volume. I know Eric does a/b between the Deluxe Reverbs and Marshalls, but still has to crank them. This way much quieter onstage, but miked into a p.a.

Originally posted by Speedy'sComing:

Thanks Myles for the offer, but I am in Michigan and there is a dealer called Huber and Breese that does stock the Uni. Unfortunately, he is one of many dealers between Detroit and Chicago that does not have an amp room to play things thru. Not a big deal, but I really admire a place that does. I will be trying it out soon if they let me slave the Uni out to a Fender amp. I'll let you know how it goes. Still, without your insight, I would not have even thought about it.Sidenote: I did read the debacle in HC and take your side entirely. You and others have offered so much info, but some will always find fault.Cheers to those(you), who chase knowledge to the end.

The debate on HC continues ... I just posted some gain test results ... and Ed was right and I was wrong.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

One more idea Myles for you and Eric Johnson to protect his hearing. Using an a/b switch - have 2 Univalves, one with 6l6's and the other with el34's or 6550's also using 2 Fender Pro Reverbs. A little expensive, but should be able to do the Eric Johnson clean and crunch at any volume. I know Eric does a/b between the Deluxe Reverbs and Marshalls, but still has to crank them. This way much quieter onstage, but miked into a p.a.

That would be a pretty big rig for a blues setup. I also steer clear of the EL-34's for blues, and prefer the 6V6 and 6L6, but who knows ... maybe worth some thinking! Then again, I am NO Eric Johnson and a lot more limited in my playing!

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

[QBGREAT AMP. Personally, I prefer your amp to the AC-30's. They record fantastically, and live, they stomp all over most class A/B amps of even 40 watts.

Myles[/QB]

Thanks Myles!

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Doug

[QBGREAT AMP. Personally, I prefer your amp to the AC-30's. They record fantastically, and live, they stomp all over most class A/B amps of even 40 watts.

Myles[/QB]

Thanks Myles!

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Doug

Hi Myles, thought #2 in story form. I normaly go to GC to buy my strings - 3 sets of GHS Boomers for 10 bucks. Looking at the newer Marshalls - DSL100's and they seems like huge boxes with plenty of space inside for other stuff if they wanted. Is it possible for an amp maker to use this space to have a 2 in 1 amp. That is a 6l6 + output transformer and an el34 + OT? It would make for what many 2 amp touring pros need. I figure there might be a electrical reason why it can't be built, but what do you think? A real 2 channel amp for blues and rock.

Hi Myles, thought #2 in story form. I normaly go to GC to buy my strings - 3 sets of GHS Boomers for 10 bucks. Looking at the newer Marshalls - DSL100's and they seems like huge boxes with plenty of space inside for other stuff if they wanted. Is it possible for an amp maker to use this space to have a 2 in 1 amp. That is a 6l6 + output transformer and an el34 + OT? It would make for what many 2 amp touring pros need. I figure there might be a electrical reason why it can't be built, but what do you think? A real 2 channel amp for blues and rock.

The output transformer mismatch is slight enough, that most makers these days just opt for a bias switch and let you throw EL-34's or 6L6's into the same amp.

This works pretty well, in fact, I specifically used an EL-34 output transformer in a custom Rivera 100 watt head (pix somewhere on my website in my equipment section I think), with 6L6's, as the slight mismatch actually gave me more of what I wanted.

Even with a bias switch, the bias should really be looked at, as most of these switches are WAY off from optimum.

An even easier way, to get the lows and mid lows and push of a 6L6, but the high end articulation and definition of an EL-34, at the same time, although from only a single source I would send my clients to .... is ....

Bob Pletka at Eurotubes (www.eurotubes.com), has a special product he calls "Integrated Quads". These are nothing short of amazing. The takes two 6L6S tubes that are on one side of the scale as far as idle dissapation, and "finds" a set of E34L's on the other side of their scale ( so at a given plate voltage, these two duets, making a quad, match ). Take it from me, this is a tough way to find tubes.

On top of all these tubes he has to sort through, his cost for a QUAD ... not a DUET ... is $60.00. That in itself is nothing short of amazing.

If you have a Marshall, 5150, XXX, or Mesa Dual Rectifier, this is really something to try. I think it would give you exactly what you are looking for with no adjustments needed at all.

By the way, if you ever picked up an amp with two output transformers, such as a Rivera S-120 or TBR series, you may want to opt for the above idea, not even considering the wiring and expense, the heat that was never designed into the original design, etc.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by paranoid:

Hi,

can you please tell us what are your thoughts on the new laney tt 50 head?

Thanks.

Daniele

Daniele .....

I guess to keep this simple, I like their amps if you are a fan of the AC-30 sound pallette. They are built fairly well for a high production amp.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

The output transformer mismatch is slight enough, that most makers these days just opt for a bias switch and let you throw EL-34's or 6L6's into the same amp.

This works pretty well, in fact, I specifically used an EL-34 output transformer in a custom Rivera 100 watt head (pix somewhere on my website in my equipment section I think), with 6L6's, as the slight mismatch actually gave me more of what I wanted.

Even with a bias switch, the bias should really be looked at, as most of these switches are WAY off from optimum.

An even easier way, to get the lows and mid lows and push of a 6L6, but the high end articulation and definition of an EL-34, at the same time, although from only a single source I would send my clients to .... is ....

Bob Pletka at Eurotubes (www.eurotubes.com), has a special product he calls "Integrated Quads". These are nothing short of amazing. The takes two 6L6S tubes that are on one side of the scale as far as idle dissapation, and "finds" a set of E34L's on the other side of their scale ( so at a given plate voltage, these two duets, making a quad, match ). Take it from me, this is a tough way to find tubes.

On top of all these tubes he has to sort through, his cost for a QUAD ... not a DUET ... is $60.00. That in itself is nothing short of amazing.

If you have a Marshall, 5150, XXX, or Mesa Dual Rectifier, this is really something to try. I think it would give you exactly what you are looking for with no adjustments needed at all.

By the way, if you ever picked up an amp with two output transformers, such as a Rivera S-120 or TBR series, you may want to opt for the above idea, not even considering the wiring and expense, the heat that was never designed into the original design, etc.

Myles

Thanks for the reply Myles. I guess a Noah's Ark amp - ( 2 of everything ) LOL, would be a very big heat problem. In theory could they somehow share the preamp tubes to reduce heat and space used?

Myles

Thanks for the reply Myles. I guess a Noah's Ark amp - ( 2 of everything ) LOL, would be a very big heat problem. In theory could they somehow share the preamp tubes to reduce heat and space used?
Trust me, two amps with an A/B switch would be easier, more reliable, and a lot less expensive.

This has been tried many times before, and it always failed.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello Myles,

I recently installed a Jensen C12N into my Fender Blues Jr. and must say that I am very pleased with the results. My problem is that I now have a very lonely stock 12" Fender Eminence speaker. I am thinking of building a closed back cabinet for it and maybe add some extra versatility to this rig. Do you think this speaker will perform well in this application, and if so can you help suggest how to build it, wood choice, interior volume, and port sizes and placement if needed.

Thank-you

Loren Ambrose

Tube rating comparison?

Ok I have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rect 2-channel head and I have 2 sets of Groove Tube GE6L6s. First set has a 6-rating and the second has a 7-rating.

I was using the 6s and decided to see if the 7s might be better I feel like I lost alot of low end thump when I put the 7s in is there. Is there a reason for that? Do hotter tubes sound different? Let me know what you think, thanks.

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by gearup:

Hello Myles,

I recently installed a Jensen C12N into my Fender Blues Jr. and must say that I am very pleased with the results. My problem is that I now have a very lonely stock 12" Fender Eminence speaker. I am thinking of building a closed back cabinet for it and maybe add some extra versatility to this rig. Do you think this speaker will perform well in this application, and if so can you help suggest how to build it, wood choice, interior volume, and port sizes and placement if needed.

Thank-you

Loren Ambrose

gearup ....

The C12N is a very nice speaker, and has MUCH more power handling capacity than you will ever need in your amp.

On your "old" speaker, they are a good generic speaker. If you want to get into a wood working project for the fun of it, then I'd use the basic dimensions of some of the more popular open back 1x12 cabs on the market. The half open back Mesa cabinet works nicely with this speaker.

As far as a closed back or ported cabinet, these speakers like to have freedom to move around, and they sound constricted in many closed back cabs. If your cabinet turns out to be a work of art, I would seek a new speker, such as a Jensen P12R AnNico (for lower wattage amps), or a nice Weber speaker.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Tube rating comparison?

Ok I have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rect 2-channel head and I have 2 sets of Groove Tube GE6L6s. First set has a 6-rating and the second has a 7-rating.

I was using the 6s and decided to see if the 7s might be better I feel like I lost alot of low end thump when I put the 7s in is there. Is there a reason for that? Do hotter tubes sound different? Let me know what you think, thanks.

rsf1977 ...

In the Recto, the stock Mesa tubes, even their hottest ranges, still run a bit overbiased (meaning they run on the cool side). This makes the amp have more crossover notch distortion. Part of the reason some folks feel the Rectifier series of amp sound grainy or lack a degree of clean performance also, is due to this. The cold running amps are easy on tube life, and assure that the amps will make it past their warranty period.

In any case, most of my clients prefer #7's, as they run really nicely in these amps, produce a cleaner sound and more headroom, work better when using any sort of pedals that push the input, and will produce more power (as if these amps need any more :) )

There is a chart and some info on matching, and a GT to Mesa scale on my website that you can also reference, as you can look at the Mesa color code on the original tubes at:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/groovetubes.html

If you had the most commonly shipped Mesa Green or Gray tubes, you will notice an improvement with either #6's or #7's.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I recently had a 12AT7 (groove)tube go bad in my new Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb re-issue amp (position V6, phase inverter). The tube the dealer gave me was an inferior quality tube and I used a 5751 I had lying around instead. Will this hurt the amp and what effect should it have on the amps tone (lower gain?)?

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mistakenly posted this as a new topic and am reposting it here where I meant to put it.

Hello Miles, Since you are down with the groove tubes boys, I wanted you opinion on this amp. Soul O 45. I just picked one up for a song and want to experiment with it. I have read the groove tubes website and because of the unique front end design, I was wondering; are there unique ways to exploit this particular combo amp inregards to opening up the tonal possibilities from the obvious clean headroom advantage that it already has. I play more of a bluesy sound. I was used to making the amp do the distortion before....um, this thing won't distort! The clean sounds are truely amazing. It has the kt-66 in it (not HP's). I also want to experiment with other various tones.

Is this more likely to get a good sound from the cheaper pedals because of all that glorious headroom?

I also read on your website about using a THD univalve in front of a Soul O 45. Rather an expensive "front end enhancement" ?!!?

I was also playing with the idea of using the new Randall RM4 modular tube preamp (also rather expensive). Is this Ok to run into the front end of this combo?

Anyways, if you can shoot some of that Miles experience/wisdom my way I will certainly appreciate it. Thanks,

Howard

Hi Myles :wave: , It's me again, Dave (the Dude). On the original posting above, SRB (after telling SRVfender to see you, the tube guru) said, "your phase inverter tube is a MOST important tube."

Do you agree?

Do you agree about replacing the phase inverter tube everytime you replace the power tubes?

Again, thanks for your help and for your prescence here and expertise and your support of this forum.

Dave, the ignorant. :D

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by srvfender:

Myles,

I recently had a 12AT7 (groove)tube go bad in my new Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb re-issue amp (position V6, phase inverter). The tube the dealer gave me was an inferior quality tube and I used a 5751 I had lying around instead. Will this hurt the amp and what effect should it have on the amps tone (lower gain?)?

Thanks.

srvfender...

First off, the GT tubes have a six month warranty, and the warranty from Fender (if the original tube) may be even longer.

The 5751 (if an NOS tube), has 70% of the gain of a 12AX7, and about the same gain as a 12AT7, so you are fine there. The 5751 also has less current drive ability than 12AX7 and a 12AT7, but closer by a lot to a 12AX7. If the 5751 they gave you is a newly made Russian tube, get rid of it ... your amp will sound better. If it is a JAN Philips or other NOS, then you would be in good shape.

The 5751 can be used in your amp with no safety concerns, but the original sound, feel, and response, is part of the drive of the 12AT7 that has about 10mA of current drive, opposed to 1.2mA of a 12AX7 or a bit less for the 5751 at 0.8 to 1.0mA.

Hope this helped.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Phloored:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mistakenly posted this as a new topic and am reposting it here where I meant to put it.

Hello Miles, Since you are down with the groove tubes boys, I wanted you opinion on this amp. Soul O 45. I just picked one up for a song and want to experiment with it. I have read the groove tubes website and because of the unique front end design, I was wondering; are there unique ways to exploit this particular combo amp inregards to opening up the tonal possibilities from the obvious clean headroom advantage that it already has. I play more of a bluesy sound. I was used to making the amp do the distortion before....um, this thing won't distort! The clean sounds are truely amazing. It has the kt-66 in it (not HP's). I also want to experiment with other various tones.

Is this more likely to get a good sound from the cheaper pedals because of all that glorious headroom?

I also read on your website about using a THD univalve in front of a Soul O 45. Rather an expensive "front end enhancement" ?!!?

I was also playing with the idea of using the new Randall RM4 modular tube preamp (also rather expensive). Is this Ok to run into the front end of this combo?

Anyways, if you can shoot some of that Miles experience/wisdom my way I will certainly appreciate it. Thanks,

Howard

Howard ...

First off .... :) It's Myles ... with a "Y".

Teh S-45 is perhaps my most used amp. I currently have 6550C's in it, and it is putting out about 60+ watts clean and 75+ watts max.

The KT-66's you are using are at a bit of risk, as these are only good to about 450 B+ volts, and the S-45 puts out well over 500 B+ volts. The HP's are good to over 525.

I love KT-66HP's in my S-45, perhaps even more than the GE's for a lot of things. The preamp tube choice in V1 also lends a lot of different character to these amps.

Cheap pedals shine in this amp, as cheap pedals do not use expensive buffer circuitry, so in many other amps they sound a lot worse. Try a TS-808 or TS-9 and watch folks faces as you make "their" pedal sound good using your amp.

The THD is pretty cool in a lot of ways, but for blues, and for a quiet amp, the S-45 is best on its own. If you want distortion, there is a lot of under $50 stuff on Ebay that works great. The more I use the S-45 alone, with no pedals or THD, the more I love its quiet, and output stage distortion. I also use 6L6S's in the amp at times when I want a cross of EL-34 and 6L6. The output transformer in the S-45 was specially developed to be able to use any 6L6, EL34, KT66, KT88, 6550, etc.

You can run anything into the front end of these amps safely.

If you do not have an owner's manual on your amp, I have posted one at the bottom of the S-45 page at:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1620

Just follow the link for a pdf file.

By the way, these amps are still made at the GT Custom Shop. They are still built to order, and the price has gone up, so you may have a better bargain than you initially thought.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Hi Myles :wave: , It's me again, Dave (the Dude). On the original posting above, SRB (after telling SRVfender to see you, the tube guru) said, "your phase inverter tube is a MOST important tube."

Do you agree?

Do you agree about replacing the phase inverter tube everytime you replace the power tubes?

Again, thanks for your help and for your prescence here and expertise and your support of this forum.

Dave, the ignorant. :D

Dave,

I think the Phase Inverter is very important. Some folks change it every time the output tubes are changed. For me, it depends on how hard the output section has been driven. Many amps get all their distortion from the preamp section, and their output stage is not used very hard, and the PI can last for years.

On my clients amps, I always check the PI for balance and output.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by skip:

Hi Myles

Back to the `dangers of unattended amps` topic-I went back to N.Y. recently and, sure enough, some of the control pots on both my amp channels have a `dry` feel, like they turn too easily. I take it these pots must now be replaced?

Skip ....

GREAT post by the way. This has not come up before, but it's super that you brought it up.

On pots ....

Back in the earlier days of stereo, Japanese companies like Sansui and Pioneer, thought that it felt "rich" if a pot was damped, and felt sort of smooth and stiff. This was done by friction means, sometime by oil filled pots, and voila ... it was soon thought that stiff pots were better.

This is NOT the case at all. Go what was a six figure Neve console and try the pots and faders. Flick a fader lightly, and it will bounce off the end of its travel. Look at a Rivera amp, which use some of the most expensive pots you can buy, and how free they turn.

If your pots don't make noise, leave them alone. If they do make noise, try a little tuner cleaner and lube (not just cleaner, as it will dry them out). Chances are, your pots are just fine.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

First off .... It's Myles ... with a "Y".

Teh S-45 is perhaps my most used amp. I currently have 6550C's in it, and it is putting out about 60+ watts clean and 75+ watts max.

The KT-66's you are using are at a bit of risk, as these are only good to about 450 B+ volts, and the S-45 puts out well over 500 B+ volts. The HP's are good to over 525.

I love KT-66HP's in my S-45, perhaps even more than the GE's for a lot of things. The preamp tube choice in V1 also lends a lot of different character to these amps.

Cheap pedals shine in this amp, as cheap pedals do not use expensive buffer circuitry, so in many other amps they sound a lot worse. Try a TS-808 or TS-9 and watch folks faces as you make "their" pedal sound good using your amp.

The THD is pretty cool in a lot of ways, but for blues, and for a quiet amp, the S-45 is best on its own. If you want distortion, there is a lot of under $50 stuff on Ebay that works great. The more I use the S-45 alone, with no pedals or THD, the more I love its quiet, and output stage distortion. I also use 6L6S's in the amp at times when I want a cross of EL-34 and 6L6. The output transformer in the S-45 was specially developed to be able to use any 6L6, EL34, KT66, KT88, 6550, etc.

If you do not have an owner's manual on your amp, I have posted one at the bottom of the S-45 page at:

By the way, these amps are still made at the GT Custom Shop. They are still built to order, and the price has gone up, so you may have a better bargain than you initially thought.

Myles

Hey Myles,

Thanks for the info, I was just reading the post here about the THD stuff again. Actually it was the best Blues amp thread. From what your saying I take it that your inclined to go with the 45 w/o the THD for Blues. If I was in your area I'd take you up on that offer to hear it for myself.

I also use 6L6S's in the amp at times when I want a cross of EL-34 and 6L6

So, the 6L6's sound different in this amp than say a Fender?

Anyway thanks for all the great info. Very much appreciated. I hope all is well your way and you had a great Labor Day! :wave: Howard

Hi Myles- I am considering a '64 Ampeg Reverberocket.Would I be able to run my UniValve through it as you describe in the ultimate blues tone? Also and more importantly do I need to be concerned about the power tubes this amp runs, and if so is a mod to 6v6 reasonable have done. The price is $300.- I'm thinking I'd like to move on it for the clean with reverb& trem. Thoughts are appreciated. Steve

Originally posted by Phloored:

First off .... It's Myles ... with a "Y".

Myles

Hey Myles,

Thanks for the info, I was just reading the post here about the THD stuff again. Actually it was the best Blues amp thread. From what your saying I take it that your inclined to go with the 45 w/o the THD for Blues. If I was in your area I'd take you up on that offer to hear it for myself.

I also use 6L6S's in the amp at times when I want a cross of EL-34 and 6L6

So, the 6L6's sound different in this amp than say a Fender?

Anyway thanks for all the great info. Very much appreciated. I hope all is well your way and you had a great Labor Day! :wave: Howard

Howard ....

The output section of the S45 is a bit different than a Fender. More B+ and a much more complex output transformer. You can make the S45 sound very blackface though.

On Labor Day ... it was sort of awful .... a seven and eleven year old at each other's throats, getting ready to start school today :)

Actually, they were pretty good.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr