Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2x12...4x10...1x12...4x12??

Marso

In your opinion, what is the diff. between 2x12 and 4x10 cabs?

Driven by the same head, what would you say are the sound particularity for each set-up. More or less bass? Punch? Highs?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Marso:

In your opinion, what is the diff. between 2x12 and 4x10 cabs?

Driven by the same head, what would you say are the sound particularity for each set-up. More or less bass? Punch? Highs?

To me, my 4 x 10" cab sounds great for clean stuff. It's noticeably brighter than any of my 12" cabs. It works SO well for jangly sounds that it makes me want to cry. :) It does ok for some dirty work but there is a slight lacking in the low end. So I'll generally use the 4 x 10" for ultra-clean up to about mid-crunchy type sounds. When I'm looking for a more saturated, heavy sound, I'll use the 2 x 12" (lately I've even been using a 1 x 15" for some metal stuff...WOW!). With lots of distortion, you start getting so many weird overtones in the room that you usually won't miss having the high end of the 10" speakers IMO...at least not so much that it offsets having all that low end grunt with the 12"s. The only time I use my 4 x 12" anymore is when I want to piss-off the neighbors :) Works like a charm...

One other thing...I've got one of those solid-state Marshall 15W micro stacks that comes with a pair of 1 x 10" cabs. The damn thing sounds AWESOME! Don't know why exactly, but I just needed to say that. :D

None more black.

Originally posted by dannydigital:

i notice that w/ a 4x12" cab you really feel it more. and its a good feeling :)

I used to have a Marshall 50 watt half stack. I found myself wanting to move my amp around. The 4x12 wouldn't fit in the trunk of my car. Wouldn't fit in the back seat either.

Combo it was.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived