Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GO SEE PHIL KEAGGY!!!

gmd

I saw him for the second time last night here in Dallas. He's is the BEST guitarist I have ever seen, and I've seen most of the all-time greats. He played acoustic guitar through a bank of effects this time, backed by a piano player and strings. For those of you who are not religious, don't let him being a christian artist turn you off. He is one AMAZING guitar player, and is actually very light on the "preaching" at his concerts. He does things with a guitar that will astound you! Definitely gifted and a "must see" for all who play guitar! :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading about him for years but have never heard him. Can you describe his style, the type of music? Are there vocals? Is it mainly acoustic? What makes it so astounding? Is it blistering technique in terms of speed or is it more in terms of control? Does he play by himself primarily or is it with a group? If electric does he do the overdrive thing? He is not a speed metalist I take it? Jazz-like harmonies, chords, extensions? Can you compare him to anyone else or others in a general kind of way? Is he an incredible single note soloist? Triadic type chords mainly, that draws from country, bluegrass?

Help. No clue. And I will probably never hear him unless seriously prodded. What recordings, if any, would best represent him?

All the best,

Henry Robinett

There are a lot of great, incredible, outstanding, best guitar players, but Phil Keaggy is in a league of his own. I took a friend of mine to the Invention tour 4 year ago when he was touring with Wes Kind and Scott Dente, both good guitar platers, but Keaggy was the king, they just stood in awe when he played. My friend was, wow, wow, wow, wow, all night and for days after. When I see him play, I am embarassed to admit I am a guitar player. Compared to alot of players, I stink, but compared to Keaggy, I don't deserve to restring his guitar. Have you also noticed how humble the man is. He knows his ability, in other words, his limitations, but doesn't get up like the NBA player that tried to convince us all he is the greatest player. Keaggy does rule.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

Henryrobbinett-He's hard to descibe because he really does mix it all----acoustic flamenco style, R&B, heavy rock, jazz fusion, etc. He'll sometimes show up with a rock/jazz group, sometimes solo. I just saw his solo show and if possible, go see that. He uses effects on the acoustic like no one I have ever seen before, but also at times just plays it straight and is every bit as amazing. Fiery, tasty, wonderful use of harmonics---he also sings like a bloody nightingale! His CDs just don't do him justice. I've seen Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck, and he is head and shoulders above them all. He puts on a great show to boot... :D

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: gmd ]

Though I haven't seen Keaggy play in years,I saw his three piece band Glass Harp many times in the early 70's. He was amazing even back then. I think he used a Les Paul and two hot roded twins.They were loud indeed.Ive read that Hendrix called him the best. The few recorded songs Ive heard,don't do him justice.Go see him play.

For those who don't already know,Scott Henderson is also an amazing player.He quitely blows into town and proceeds to BURN THE HOUSE DOWN! My favorite can you tell? :)

Hey Stanner: Are you one of those guys who likes to use these forums to pick fights? (Maybe you ought to mellow out a bit...) I'm not sure what you mean with your "blowing smoke" comment, but all I'm trying to do is turn my fellow guitar players on to someone who honestly AMAZED me with their playing. If you haven't seen him than you really don't know, do you? Catch his acoustic tour and THEN you can tell me I'm blowing smoke... :D

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: gmd ]

Archived