Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The new guy

86Burst

Hi folks.....just thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Gary. I live in Kentucky, and have been playing guitar for about 23 years. Nothing professional...just enjoy playing. I'll occasionally jam with friends, etc.

I mainly play classic rock and blues, occasionally some jazz. I'd have to say blues is my true love.

My main guitars are a 1986 Les Paul Standard that I've had since it was a baby, and a 1997 Fat Strat Texas Special. I also have a 1970 SG, but it's rarely played. Soon I hope to get a '56 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue.

Guess that's me......

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BKeelan:

Hi Gary. Welcome aboard. This is a great place to hang with your brother and sister guitar players. Sounds like you have a nice little collection going there. What do you plug them into?

bob

I played through a Roland JC-77 for years. About 6 months ago, I bought a Crate VC6112 all-tube amp. I hadn't planned on getting a new amp, but it was on sale at Mars for $399. I like the sound of tubes better than solid state, but I'd never bought one due to the cost. The regular price of this amp was $699....couldn't pass it up.

It's a great amp. I know Crate doesn't have the greates rep in the world, but I think that mainly comes from some of their solid state amps. The Vintage Club series is definitely worth checking out.

I'll occasionally use a Boss BD-2 OD pedal into the clean channel. Usually though, I'll just use the clean channel and crank the gain a bit to give me a nice crunch.

The only mod has been to disconnect the factory 12" speaker, and run the amp through a pair of 10" Celestions. It made a big improvement on an already nice sound.

My poor JC-77 has been collecting dust ever since. :)

HEY! NEW GUY! Welcome to the Guiter Forum.

This is a good group to get to know a bit. They all seem to know a hell of a lot more than me. 'Course I don't know squat.

Again. Welcome.

I never done that before...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Hey Gary!! I came over here to see what was up (your post on H.C), and thought I'd join!!

I'm Davey, out of Indiana. 28 yrs old. Been playing 3 years. I practice at least an hour a day.

Gear: '01 USA Texas Special Strat/maple fretboard/swamp ash body/sienna sunburst. Loaded with S.D Cool Rail up top, Vintage Rail in between, and Hot Rail down below. Cool Rail and Hot Rail tappable into single coil via Yamaha Push/Push pots (neck tone for neck tap, middle tone for bridge tap). Also got a switch (ala G&L) to activate neck and bridge together).

Also have a '91 Les Paul Studio Red wine with S.D. '59 up top and S.D. Custom in bridge.

Into Mesa Boogie Dual Recto 3 channel Solo half-stack and/or Gibson Goldtone GA-15RV.

Big, full pedalboard.

I am into collecting "sleeper" effects, such as DOD FX-51 Juicebox overdrive, DOD FX-96 Analog Delay, DOD FX-25b Envelope filter, Dano Rocky Road (volume r44 modded), Ibanez TS-7, Dano Tuna-Melt tremolo, Dano French Toast, etc.

I also love my Akai Headrush, Teese RD/RMC-3, VHT Valvulator, etc.

I also build the Loooper and Soooper Loooper.

Love classic rock, hard rock, blues, jazz, funk. I am currently writing a music theory book. I love music, it's my life.

That's my story and I'm a stickin' to it!! :)

yo wassup

I have a 2x12 Crate that seems just fine to me, but I haven`t really cranked it-mostly use it at HQ. I am on a quest to go all tube this year, tho. I was looking into Cornford but the prices here are nuts, the yen is plummeting now so even the price in the U.K. is half nuts. Looking into paying in dollars but I may have to go elsewhere.

Originally posted by rog951:

Welcome aboard! Hope you'll enjoy it here and stick around for a long time. BTW, if you're really not playing that SG, I call 1st crack at it!!!!! Lemme know if you wanna get rid of it.

I haven't played it in quite a while, but I don't want to get rid of it either. I learned a long time ago never to get sell a guitar. Eventually you regret it.

Originally posted by stratcat:

hey Burst!! do you still have your JC77? I've got one, rarely use it though, occasionally if I want a stereo sound in the living room, but thats it!! :)

:)

I still have it. I'm using the Celestions in the JC-77 with my VC6112.

That was the nice thing about the JC-77....it has a great stereo chorus.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Welcome '86Burst!

I'd love to get a look at your menagerie of musical instruments some time. I'm just north of Nashville.

Which do you prefer, the LP or Strat? Or do you appreciate both for different timbres?

http://86burst.freewebspace.com/images/86_les_paul_standard.jpg

http://86burst.freewebspace.com/images/97_fender_texas_special_strat.jpg

I guess I've always been more of a Les Paul guy, though I've owned a couple Strats over the years. I've been playing the Strat more lately...just experimenting with the bridge and middle pickups mostly. I think people tend to overlook the middle pickup, but you can get some interesting tones and harmonics out of it.

I play the Strat for more traditional blues, and the Les Paul for the traditional classic rock sound, though it sounds good for blues as well...just thicker....not quite as twangy. Seth Lovers are great pickups.

Both are very nice instruments.

I remember you said a Goldtop reissue is on your to-buy list. A word to the wise. Inspect any new Gibson with a fine-tooth comb, from fit to electronics to finish, prior to laying your money out. Inconsistancy has plagued them, recently. From Epiphone right up to the most expensive Custom Shop instruments. When you get a good one, though... mmmmrrrrreeeooowwww!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to meet you Gary! My name is Derek, and I'm also new to this forum. I have been playing semi-professionally for 13 years, and it seems the more I play, the less I know. I'm lucky to have:

'93 Fender Custom Shop EC strat w/ figured birdseye maple neck

'96 "Mary Kaye" relic Strat

'98 JV Strat

60's Silvertone archtop

'95 Regal Dobro

I love the blues, but I also love all kinds of music, and look upon this an a chance to discover new things as well.

BTW I'm not a rich collector, just a single guy with a day gig whos pay checks go to financing my hobby.

Archived