Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaker Ohms

Ziggy

Hey all,

I have bid on a 4 ohm speaker on e-bay but just realized I have an 8 ohm amp (the scary thing is this doesn't even begin to rank in my top 10 list bad decisions). Does anyone know if it's possible to hook these up, perhaps using some sort of in line resistor?

Thanks in advance,

Zig

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you've got a tube amp it should be no problem. A lower ohm load will simply draw more power from the amp. Make sure your amp is rated for 4 ohms. Most are, when you combine two 8-ohm speakers or cabs, it presents a 4 ohm load to your amp.

Just curious tho, a single speaker that's 4 ohm? That sounds like an automotive speaker.

DC, it's a Celestion G8L-35. I read somewhere on the web that this was a 4 ohm speaker. I went and looked on Celestion's home page, but they do not have this one listed so I figured it must be discontinued. I have an 8 ohm tube amplifier that I would like to hook up to this. If you have any insight on this that would be great.

Zig

Originally posted by Ziggy:

DC, it's a Celestion G8L-35. I read somewhere on the web that this was a 4 ohm speaker. I went and looked on Celestion's home page, but they do not have this one listed so I figured it must be discontinued. I have an 8 ohm tube amplifier that I would like to hook up to this. If you have any insight on this that would be great.

Zig

Hmmm, it's prolly used in one of those stereo cabs where two drivers would be wired in series to have 8 ohms each side. It ought to work just fine with your tube amp. Just remember that the 4 ohm load will draw up to twice the power your amp is rated for and that model no. sounds like a 35 watt speaker, so don't push it too hard.

Hmmmmmmmm, I wouldn't run a 4ohm speaker or cab from that amp unless it specifically has out's marked for 4 ohms. ESPECIALLY a tube amp. It's just asking for trouble. Those electronic compnents are rated for a certain current draw, and by use an impedance that is HALF of what it is rated for your are effectively doubling the current. Two 4 ohm loads in series? Sure, no problems, that give your 8ohms. Incedently, you can go tyhe other way with no problems(Thought it will be much quieter than what the amp is capable of). You CAN use a 16 ohm cab with and amp rated at 8 ohms. If you decide to ignore this advice, and hook the 4 ohm load up anyway, do yourself a favor and have a fire extinguiser handy, just in case.

Jack

I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by Sylver:

Hmmmmmmmm, I wouldn't run a 4ohm speaker or cab from that amp unless it specifically has out's marked for 4 ohms. ESPECIALLY a tube amp. It's just asking for trouble. Those electronic compnents are rated for a certain current draw, and by use an impedance that is HALF of what it is rated for your are effectively doubling the current. Two 4 ohm loads in series? Sure, no problems, that give your 8ohms. Incedently, you can go tyhe other way with no problems(Thought it will be much quieter than what the amp is capable of). You CAN use a 16 ohm cab with and amp rated at 8 ohms. If you decide to ignore this advice, and hook the 4 ohm load up anyway, do yourself a favor and have a fire extinguiser handy, just in case.

Jack

No doubt! :eek: Running an amp at half it's lowest rated load is a sure way to fry the power supply or output section. Most guitar amp manufacturers do not list the acceptable range for the amp, simply the spec'd load. Since the speaker is mounted internally, it's not an issue until you replace a speaker. Do not replace an 8ohm speaker with a 4ohm without consulting the manufacturer or a reputable tube amp repairman.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived