Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George

dansouth

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NPR's lead story today was the passing of George Harrison. Bigger news than the war. I got up, got out the Taylor, and played Taxman, If I Needed Someone, and a few others before getting ready for work.

Back home, I bet all of my guitars are still gently weeping. I know I am.

Rest easy, George. It's a rainy day here, but look...there's a full moon tonight to light your way home.

Arjay, great response!

I see Buddy ("Irbreez") has got the same topic, so which one should I post on...??? Well, I opted for this one.

George...you all on the board here should hate him. He's the main reason, or at least the main initial reason you all have to put up with my shit. If I hadn't happened to be watching Ed Sullivan when I was six years old, I'm not sure I'd ever have picked up the guitar. Oh, yeah, probably. But damn.

I was lucky enough to have seen him in concert in 1974 at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I'll never forget that show. Oh, yeah, from where I was sitting he was about as big as a flea on the back of an elephant, but, it was GEORGE!!!

Remember me talking about my new Strat? I've named it "George". Hope you all don't think that's too silly. But, in all honesty, I could care less.

All of my guitars are gently weeping.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Arjay, great response!

I see Buddy ("Irbreez") has got the same topic, so which one should I post on...??? Well, I opted for this one.

George...you all on the board here should hate him. He's the main reason, or at least the main initial reason you all have to put up with my shit. If I hadn't happened to be watching Ed Sullivan when I was six years old, I'm not sure I'd ever have picked up the guitar. Oh, yeah, probably. But damn.

I was lucky enough to have seen him in concert in 1974 at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I'll never forget that show. Oh, yeah, from where I was sitting he was about as big as a flea on the back of an elephant, but, it was GEORGE!!!

Remember me talking about my new Strat? I've named it "George". Hope you all don't think that's too silly. But, in all honesty, I could care less.

All of my guitars are gently weeping.

Tedster,

Great choice of names for the geetar, not silly, just don't go naming the other one 'Liberace', then I might start to get worried! :D

btw, what took you from 'beautiful' Detroit to the green acres of Mo.? I figure it would have to be a woman to tear you away from the greasy film-coating of Detroit.

Matt

Matt

In two days, it won't matter.

Darn you, Arjay! I hate to cry when I'm at work! :(

That was just so beautifully written; I couldn't hold it back.

I don't know why, but George's passing is hitting me even harder than John's. I feel the way I did when I heard about Stevie Ray Vaughn. It's a mightily sad day.

in all honesty this makes me feel bad that i grew up in a younger generation and didnt bother to look into him further...

they play the songs on the radio in tribute,

i know the songs, but not the man :(

im sorry for your passing george

Hippie,

Thanks for the chuckle...no way I'd name one "Liberace"...now, "John", perhaps. I didn't name guitars when Lennon was shot, and I don't believe I have any of the same guitars now as I did then.

I met my wife in Port Huron, where we grew up. After getting married and having a crop of kids, I ended up taking the family to Florida, where I studied meteorology at Florida State. When I got my B.S., my first job offer was in Alaska. Lived there for five years, before the cost of living up there drove me back south to the midwest...Kansas City.

Still get up there from time to time. Next time I'll get in touch. I've got a buddy who plays bass on the Detroit blues scene...a guy named Tim Allen (not THAT Tim Allen). He's part owner of Fiddler's music there on Mack...at least he was. Perhaps you know him? Big city, big scene, but sometimes people know each other...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

George was such a class person and classy guitarist. What really stands out for me about George's playing is the VARIETY. He was constantly changing guitar sounds, constantly evolving with the music the Beatles were creating. Just randomly listen to four or five Beatle songs and focus on the solos. It's amazing how he tailored each solo to the song. NO OTHER GUITARIST WAS AS CREATIVE IN FINDING THE RIGHT SOUND FOR THE SONG. What a legacy he has left with his classy playing... :(

Tedster wrote: <>>

I don't know your buddy Tim, (offhand, at least) but I may have seen him play. If you know the name of the current band he's in, I'll go look them up.

Yessir Ted, if you come up here, come see me and da ols lady, I'll show you around the money-pit studio, & maybe do some jammin', or go see a band with the wives.

Matt

In two days, it won't matter.

Report from Hollywood 11/30/01:

At 11:30pm people were still arriving at the candlelight vigil held at George's sidewalk star at the corner of Hollywood Blvd.& LaBrea. A crowd of 100 or more people encircled the shrine which had the deserved proliferation of burning candles and flowers and wreaths. One older fan held up a boombox playing Harrison songs and the crowd sang along. (No lyric sheets necessary). They were orderly and respectful.The majority of the group were not yet alive when the Beatles were still together, a testament to the power and timelessness of their music. I live a few blocks away. I don't go to these kinds of things but this was different-like family. George, John, Paul & Ringo's music has been the soundtrack of my life. I've been into all types of music but I always come back to them.Hell, I'm in the middle of recording a Beatles song right now.

Now we have only two Beatles left, a reminder to we older cats that our time here is short.So raise a glass to George and play some of his tunes, as I'm doing now, and wish him well on the other side.

I fear I've done yet another of my verbose posts.

Thank you Arjay, for your poignant comments.When I read them I too, let fall the tear that I had been holding back all day.........there will be a great many guitars gently weeping tonight. :(

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: lynx ]

Archived