Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody own and love a crappy guitar?

rog951

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's a Strat. But not one that anyone is dreaming of. I avoided Stratocasters for a long time being a die -hard Gibson devotee. But the day came when I was ready to delve into the intricacies of a Strat. But NOT at great expense. So I started hunting around for a Squier. Found a couple I liked but too pricey. Finally I found a guy with an '80's something Japanese black body/white pickguard, rosewood neck. He brought it over, it was thrashed (even had old masking tape on the neck with the notes written on it). But there was something about it that said-salvageable. I offered him $100 for it and he immediately agreed. The whammy bar was gone but he said he had it and would bring it by (yeah right). Later that night I found it on my doorstep.

$100.00 -delivered. Not a bad start. I was in a blues band at the time which is why I wanted it. I cleaned it and patched it up and learned the arcane ritual of setting the claw to get it to stay in tune even when using the tremelo. Worked just like any other Strat.Used it for that for a while, then it sat for a few years while I was into an acoustic thing. Recently I began re-recording some of the songs from that with a big, distorted electric sound. Re-enter the Strat. Not long ago I gutted, shielded and rewired the insides.There is something about the neck on this guitar(very wide) that just works for me and is actually improving my playing. The body also has an excellent ring to it with or without amp. It roars and screams live and records really nice. I rarely touch my Gibsons anymore. Go figure.

The body also has an excellent ring to it with or without amp. It roars and screams live and records really nice. I rarely touch my Gibsons anymore. Go figure.

well that does not surprize me seeing as how strats rock!

the key to any good guitar is how it sounds without an amp imho.

a close friend of mine's dad just gave me a guitar that he got in the mid 60's....it sounds so bad it rocks!

he got it used....the only thing it says on the guitar is "MADE IN THE USA"

the tone is so bad it is cool...like an effect..i love it..full on old school southern ohio style tone!

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: spacebass ]

I have an early 60's Kent solid-body, single pick-up that I love. It's a short-scale so small that the case will fit into a dreadnought case! But it is very playable, need to adjust the intonation?, no problem, just wiggle the free floating wooden bridge around. It sounds great unplugged, I practise and write with it.

Jim in Canada http://ampcast.com/sologuitar

I've been trying to talk my drummer into selling me this hollowbody 335 style electric. Bolt on neck. No name. Needs work. But it looks retro cool. This really extreme black to red to bright yellow sunburst. Needs work, sounds like a Coral electric sitar. But hey...works for me.

Behold, the power of cheese!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

i got an old framis acoustic a few years ago for free cause someone tried to strip the finish with paint thinner...

so i wrote stuff all over the body with a black felt and it became my personal guitar :)

it stays in tune near the nut but as you get close to the octave it goes out of tune, but it sounds SO rich with new dean markleys on it

Lynx I have the same guitar, mid 80's Made in Japan Squier, black with a maple neck. The body "rings" as you said. Must be in the wood they used. Produces some great tone. I think Jeff Healey plays one and I saw Robin Trower with one in an old Guitar Player.

I have (2) crappy guitars. Number 1 is an early 70's (i think) `driftwood' type guitar. I call it that because it is basically just a slab of plywood with a neck bolted onto it. It weighs maybe a total of 3 pounds. The brand is `Norma' (anyone ever heard of this?), and was probably featured in a JC Penny catalogue, or something. Strangely, it has massive attention to detail for a `beginner' guitar. it has a bound rosewood fretboard, semi-pearlescent dot markers, the (only) pickup has a chrome plated cover with a gold-plated screen intricately inlaid into it. It has a beveled-edge tortoise-shell multileaved pickguard (i think that that is the right colour terminology- brown with light-brown-to-orangeish `flames' in it, plus the lower leaf is bordered white). The pickguard has all these edges and points to it (the ones that aren't broken off, anyways) and looks like it would be more at home on a B.C. Rich Warlock, if they were to have pickguards. The pots for the single volume, single tone knob are still there, but the knobs and posts are gone. It has a giant tailpiece and a really heavy-duty bridge, similar styling to what you'll find on most beginner guitars, but a bit more intense. The action is about half inch at the highest (17th) fret, which makes it a real hassle to play, but it has the woodiest tone (plugged or unplugged) i have ever heard come out of any guitar. Distortion is useless on this thing, btw.

This guitar was a $20 victory from the guy down the street. He acquired it somehow as a `toy' for his twin daughters. The way that i knew it existed was i saw it leaning against the side of his garage (in the rain, for weeks). I was so desperate to own a guitar that i didn't care what kind or what condition. I just *had* *to* *have* *one*. I took it home with its 5 strings, and used various objects (coins, pieces of plastic silverware, cut up margarin tub lids, those lil plastic things that close up loaves of bread) as picks, because i didn't have anything else. This was 1988 or 1989, i was 14-15 or so. After a few months i painted the expression "NOT" in the upper part of the neck (so i could be *just* *like* Scott Ian of Anthrax). It was about 7 months after i got the guitar, I was learning `Always with you, always with me' (satriani) and realised i didn't have enough frets to play it. That was when i decided i needed a new guitar. I still have it though. I made a promise to myself i'll never get rid of it. I'll never forget where i came from. This sounds kinda sappy, but i still love that thing like the day i dragged it home.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

You guys are going to kill me for writing books in here, btw (see `Using Amps That Nobody Else Does' topic)...

Anyways, guitar number (2): Is a Korean-made Squire Strat. Black (my favourite colour) with white pickguard and maple neck. Most guys wanted a car for thier 16th birthday. Me, i wanted a black Strat. I have more mileage on this guitar than any other in my collection, past or present. I get occaisional snide remarks from people regarding my choice of instrument (single coils and heavy metal?) but it's just got that *sound*. It sounds a tad different than any other strats i've played. Some might hear this sound too, but others say "oh, it just sounds like another $150 shit guitar". I can't describe it, it's a certain resonance. You hear it most when it's not plugged in.

I've been married to this instrument for almost 12 years now. I have other guitars: Ibanez RGs, Yamahas, Jackson, Epiphone, ect.... but i always come back to this one. I know this guitar so well, that no matter what chain of effects or amps you want to plug it into, i can basically `predict' what it will sound like. You could put me in a room full of stratocasters, and i'll always come back to this one. It is the neck of *this* guitar that my hand grew around as went through my teens and 20's- it is the most comfortable neck in the world for me. I string it with flatwound 10's and it feels like i'm playing a greased spatula. No effort at all.

Unfortunately, time has taken its toll. The frets are pitted and worn down. There's about 20 places on the neck where the frets are almost to the point where they won't hold a note, they just go "zzt" with no sustain. The neck has not shifted nor warped since day one, though. The 5-way switch has acted like a 3-way switch for about 7 years, and if you bump the switch while you play it will short out and buzz. I changed the pickup covers to black ones (because the neck and center white covers were worn and starting to show coils of wire) but didn't do it right. The pickups are `waxed' into the covers, but i didn't have a way to duplicate the process. I wrapped them with electrical tape to keep them from rattling around, but they're microphonically much noisier now. The tone knobs are a bit scratchy and stiff, but the volume knob turns almost too easy.

But if you stand back and look at the guitar, you'll see no scratches in the body, no dings, no dents. All you will see is a worn out neck. I've coddled this guitar like a baby for 12 years- i never wanted anything destructive to happen to it. All in all though, looks like i've literally loved it to death. I've nearly killed the poor thing.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by ricknbokker:

I had one of those Peavey T-15's. Only had it for a few months, but I always loved the sound.

The downside? I think it weighed about 30lbs!! :)

Yeah. Actually, I think the weight might have allot to do with the way it sounds. It still weighs less than a Les Paul, but for a cheesy bolt-on piece of garbage, it's quite a boat-anchor. It has other problems too; it's hard to keep in tune, the intonation is kinda iffy and there's not much you can do about it, the finish is hideous and the pots are starting to get a little flaky now too. I still feel like it was the best $65 I ever spent on eBay :D

None more black.

Late last year I bought a Grass Roots electric-they`re low priced versions of ESP`s high priced ones. I put some custom pickups in it and it sounds great, plays nice-but it`s developing tuning problems that are pissing me off. I wouldn`t have even included it in this discussion until recently, but maybe the prospect of doing so will make it behave.

Archived