Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar tuning tips

wally joe

Are there tricks to tuning guitars, such as intentionally making strings sharp/flat, or do you try to get the needle as close to zero as possible? What tuners do you rely on?

An aside, on John Hiatt's "Perfectly Good Guitar," BOY! one of those guitars is PERFECTLY OUT OF TUNE! But it makes the song sound raw. I wonder, was that an oversight, or was it intentional?

Best,

WJ

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, and this is about as non-technical as you're gonna get...when using a tuner, I zero the needle...and then, I fine tune it as close as possible to a couple of open chords, usually G, D, A, and E, which generally conflict, so I'll balance it as close as I can and say heck with it.

There is a cool thread wayyy back about a "tempered tuning". If you're up for a little archaeology, you may want to delve into the archives.

And, good to meet a fellow John Hiatt fan.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by kudyba:

Sure is a great post I made a while back (if I do say so myself). It's from the Guild of American Luthiers. I've been using this system for a while now and it seems to be accurate--that is unless you have old strings or other problems like intonation, bad nut, etc. Here\'s the post .

kudyba ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/lilly/hmm3grin2orange.gif

Even though he does say so himself... http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/funny/jump2.gif

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I like to use the tuner to get me in the general vicinity of being in tune, but it seems, from my experience, there is a spot, maybe a hair sharp or flat, where the guitar is more *comfortable* (for lack of a better description). I don't know why this is, but of all the guitars I've owned (yes, they are set-up properly) only like 2 of them were "sitting well" on an exact (440) "concert A" tuning.

Do you guys have any idea what I'm saying? :)

Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

When I started playing with other musicians (as opposed to playing with myself, he, he, he said playing with...) the tuners we had were little nasal-sounding pitch pipes and tuning forks. I learned the 7th harmonic-to-5th harmonic method and thought I was pretty cool until I started playing with a guy who had perfect pitch. He would literally come over and start tuning my Tele as I was playing it. He did this to the bass player, too. I finally just let him tune my axes. I now sometimes find that tuning to the piano gives me better results than some of the digital meters we use. I'm probably just deluding myself, thinking that both instruments are tempered, so they should have something in common.

BTW "Perfectly Good Guitar" is one of my faves. I love that line -

"They all got wet when he smashed that thing"

Who do they think they are

Tuning a perfectly good guitar...

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Archived