Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sky High

Lil James

Im using 12's on my acoustic guitar and dont want to go down anymore but the first few frets are really diffucult to hold the srings down properly withought getting buzz i have to really try hard to acieve a clean sound. I have no problem playing my electric guitar - it it my strings or my guitar? also dow at the higher frets the strings seem pretty high but i cant see any obvious way to lower the birdge like my electric can - it pegs for the strings.

--------------

Lil James

--------------

just asking...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me like your acoustic may need a trip to the tech shop for a look at the neck...possibly the nut, too. I'd have a tech look at the whole deal.

I'm not really sure what you're saying, as strings usually buzz when the action is too low...but having more difficulty fretting usually means the action is too high. Buzzing strings is a symptom of a neck back bow, too, while high action further up the neck is a symptom of a regular concave bow. Either way, a half turn or so of the truss rod wrench (by the tech if you've never done it) will cure that.

And yes, you can adjust the bridge on most acoustics. There's usually a couple of plastic shims under the bridge saddle. Remove 'em and your action lowers. Or, you may have to have a tech shave the saddle, or maybe the nut a tad. That's a pretty delicate procedure. I wouldn't let just anyone do it...and I really wouldn't do it myself 'cause I'm a fumblefingers.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived