Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

War protest songs

LiveMusic

Can someone name a famous war protest song from the 60s? Especially Dylan. "Blowin' In The Wind?" "The Times They Are A Changing?" Those seem to make references. Guess Who's "American Woman" is a strong one I guess. I'm looking for ones that there's no doubt they are anti-war.

Some group had one entitled "War."

"War, what is it good for. Absolutely nothin'!"

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Machine Gun" by Jimi Hendrix is a good one.

A lot of songs from that era make reference to war overseas and violence here in the States (a kind of war in itself.)

"Ohio" by CSNY is an example of this.

"If There's Hell Below" by Curtis Mayfield comments on it too.

There are probably too many to mention.

BTW, "War" was by done by Edwin Starr and later remade by Bruce Springsteen.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Yo Strat...

Country Joe, I think, right?

Made famous in the Woodstock movie. Very cool. Can't believe I forgot that one.

Gimme an 'F'... gimme a 'U'...

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

"Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag" by Country Joe and the Fish. The original Fish Cheer was "Gimme and 'F'...Gimme an 'I'...etc..." but the word was changed at Woodstock. Seems to me Country Joe McDonald has a website somewhere where he reminisces about the 60s, acid, etc...

Another ultimate war protest song: "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire. "Wooden Ships" by CSN. There were quite a few. I know all those Joan Baez types had at least one.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived