Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs with a country-jazzy flavor

LiveMusic

As I have gathered country songs to work on for a playlist, I have occasionally come across songs that are real pleasing to play and sing. Songs like "Ain't Misbehavin," the Fats Waller tune, as recorded by Hank Williams, Jr. And Keith Whitley's "It Ain't Nothin." I'm sure Haggard has some but I can't think what it would be right now. These songs have kind of a mellow, jazzy feel to them. "Easy going." The vocals usually have a fairly wide range... dipping down into the lower registers as well as up into the higher ones. And more than just simple, three chords songs. More complicated chord progressions. Usually use 7th chords. Can you think of any more songs that are something like this? I really do like this type of music.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are tons. TONS.

Ernest Tubb

Bob Wills

Asleep at the Wheel

Ray Charles had some countrified soulful stuff...

Chet Atkins...and more..

I'm pretty partial to that CD where Merle Haggard does a bunch of Bob Wills covers. All Western Swing stuff...

I'd say tune your internet radio to sonicnet.com (now VH1.com) and set it to the "Americana" station, I think it's called "The Diner". You'll hear something there for sure. I heard some great stuff by some obscure artist I can't remember, so make sure you have a pen and paper to jot titles down.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

country jazz? the notorious byrd brothers or david crosby's first solo album 'if i could only remember my name' have some tunes that i would think of as country jazz. also the grateful dead at times - in a psychedelic hippie kind of way.

Originally posted by mplspaul:

Lyle Lovett has a lot of songs with that jazzy, laid-back feel.

Heard something by Lovett on the radio yesterday (a rare event), according to the DJ it was a new release called "San Antonio Girl". Western Swing romp. As soon as I heard it I said "Geez, that sounds like Lyle Lovett, but they NEVER play him on the radio". Wish they'd play more. Maybe this new tune will get him more airplay.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Let's not forget about Wille Nelson, he has a slew of clever songs that are jazzy/country. He's actually a very good guitar player, (Dont let that hole in his guitar mislead you, that hole got there from playing it, alot!)

Chet Atkins is no slouch either.

Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

Archived