Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The story on Keith Whitley

LiveMusic

What's the story behind Keith Whitley's death? I recall an overdose/alcohol accident. Or was it suicide? I bought a CD and there are ten or so songs on it that are typical Nashville production. Terrific country music, heavily produced. But the last song is quite unusul. I think the title is "Tell Lorrie I Love Her," obviously referring to Lorrie Morgan, his ex-wife or ex-girlfriend, anyway.

That song is strange for two reasons. First, there is zero production behind it and, in fact, it soundsl like he recorded it on my Radio Shack cassette recorder. It's just his voice and his acoustic guitar. I think it's the "rawest" recording I've ever heard. And one of the lines... "Tell Lorrie that if I leave this old world, she's the only girl for me." Was that a suicide song? I recall something about how tore up Lorrie Morgan was over his death. I was wondering if it had anything to do with that song. Maybe they were just squabling at the time. Another line is "Tell Lorrie that it would be alright if I could just see her."

He's a fave singer. Man, this guy was good.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez, I had no idea he had died. I'm not a hyooge country fan, but I did like several songs of Whitley's. Sorry to hear that.

I'd bet one of his fanpages would have the lowdown. I'd just do a search on "Keith Whitley" on your favorite search engine...should turn up something.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Keith Whitley was a great country artist. He had an incredible voice that could rip the heart from your chest. He died before his talent really came into the limelight. Keith couldn't handle alcohol and that's what killed him. If I remember correctly he drowned in his own vomit after a big binge. It was basically blamed on alcohol poisoning.

Keith and Lorrie were very much in love. But the touring life and the alcohol problems put a lot of strain on their relationship. The song you're talking about is a demo cut. It was written and recorded as a gift to Lorrie. It was something Keith never got to finish. My wife said it was an old song she had heard before using a name other than Lorrie.

Of course, this is just bits and pieces of gossip I have picked up over the years of being a fan.

I've been a Country music fan since late 1989, early 1990. My wife played me Keith's music then, and he had already passed away. He did a wonderful version of "When You Say Nothing At All," by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz (of "The Gambler" fame), which was redone about 4 years ago by Alison Krause & Union Station.

He had a wonderful Merle Haggard quality to his voice that I've not heard since. Check out, "It Ain't Nothin'."

The album notes for the disc you're describing states, "Tell Lorrie I Love Her," is from a demo, June 15, 1987.

I have a buddy who works for Lorrie. He says she's very nice and good to work for.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by DC:

The way I heard the story is that he recorded the raw cut the night he od'd on whiskey. It's a sad tale.

If that is true, that is exactly what I was driving at. The lyrics are haunting. And I seem to recall something about Lorrie being really torn up over it. Of course, she would be anyway but I just thought it might have been a "suicide note."

And to the poster who mentioned he sometimes sounded like Merle Haggard, I thought the same thing on that tune you mentioned. Exactly. He would have been a huge star. Just before he died, I think he had three or four number ones in a row.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I'm a huge fan of Keith Whitley, he just had such a natural talent. A friend of mine has a video documentory on him in which they speak to many of his family members. It really does not seem that he commited suicide, he had a major drinking problem and it got him. I have never heard of any rumors saying that he recorded that song the night he died and it was never mentioned by his family so I personally am taking that with a grain of salt so to speak.

One thing was that many people that knew him had no idea that he had a problem with alcohol. It seams that he really did not drink when other people were around so many were unaware. His brother stated that he mainly got going on the alcohol when he was by himself.

Tell Lorrie I love her is my favorite song from him, I was playing and singing it one day and substituted my wifes name in there and she went beserk!! She just loved it. I wish he was still around to do a more polished recording but I thought just him and his guitar was the best way to hear this song.

The Nashville studio gurus should do a "John Lennon/Free As A Bird" on the "Tell Lorrie I Love Her" and release it. Knowing the story behind it, there wouldn't be a dry eye...and Milwaukee and St. Louis would have to go into overtime to keep up with the demand for beer to cry into...

Originally posted by Tedster:

The Nashville studio gurus should do a "John Lennon/Free As A Bird" on the "Tell Lorrie I Love Her" and release it. Knowing the story behind it, there wouldn't be a dry eye...and Milwaukee and St. Louis would have to go into overtime to keep up with the demand for beer to cry into...

Ted, do you mean just release it as is with the "demo" sound or spiffed up through recording technology. Maybe you weren't serious but it is an interesting idea. Has any "demo" sounding record been released?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

No, Duke, I was quite serious.

You're aware of the Lennon Dakota Demo cassette tapes and how they became The Beatles' final singles, aren't you? According to McCartney et al, the tapes were quite rough...Lennon's tempo wasn't great in all spots, not to mention they were recorded on a rather cheap cassette, I believe...but with a good bit of TLC, they got 2 songs out of the demos.

Archived