Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

who likes fender amplifiers?

BandyLou

i'm in the market for an amplifier. a little amp, at a little price, with a big nice sound for home recording. currently in the running:

fender bullet reverb

fender champion 30 reverb

fender frontman 15 reverb

i need nice sound more than loudness. any experience with any of these amps? other recommendations?

thanks in advance. peace.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've used none of these but if you want small and versitile check out Polytone. The Mini Brute 2 is only 30 lbs but puts out 100 watts through a 12 inch speaker. After having used bigger combos for twenty years I've found single speaker amps with some power behind it the way to go.

fender bullet reverb

fender champion 30 reverb

fender frontman 15 reverb

I don't think any of these particularly sound like Fenders.

For a little more money, you have a lot more options: A Blues Jr. would be cool for your needs. The smaller Pro Jr. is also good.

Or why not go vintage? I paid $400 for my 1961 brown tolex Princeton, and it sounds great! Champs, Princetons, Vibro-champs, and Deluxes (except tweeds) are still relatively inexpensive. Notice that I didn't say "Deluxe Reverb" or "Princeton Reverb".

Even a late 1970's silverface with a master volume would blow the doors off the amps you list (and some people hardly consider those Fenders!)

I own both the Blues Jr and the Pro Jr, and the Pro Jr to me is the most toneful and records best. Buy used....and you can get a great deal. I second the Peavey Classic 30 and 50.....also if you can find a used Carvin Vintage 33....killer little amp.

For more money you can go the Victoria route, another notable is the Soldano Atomic 16.

I'm a huge fan of small tube amps, possibly why I have a room full of them. A Super Champ is a good amp if you can find them, but speculators have killed the market for older Fender amps. I know I know....so and so bought his closet special for fifty bucks...but that is few and far between. If you're gonna buy a little Fender I strongly recommend the Pro Jr. Might get one used for a hundred.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I agree that a Pro Junior is a better choice. The amps you listed are all solid state I think. The Blues Junior is cool but I found it considerably noisier than the Pro Junior when I tried it. I think the fact that there is some solid state electronics in the Blues Jr. contributes to the noise floor. A friend of mine who was a salesman at a music store and who has a Pro Jr. says to try a few until you find one that doesn't rattle. I guess some of the cabinets were a little shakey.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

yeah, it looks like the new 'champion reverb' is 'solid state tube emulation' or something...

dream amp: a brand spankin' new blues jr.

looking for: inexpensive used champ or blues jr.

i need tubes!

peace, and thanks to all.

Go to ebay and do a search for "vibroverb". I have a re-issue with 2 10" speakers and 2 6L6's in the power section. As far as a sweet clean tone and hip vintage distortion sounds, I have heard few better. Don't expect to get a heavy sound no matter what you do, but who cares? I've seen them go for around $600 on ebay. Expect to pay three times that for an original with the single 15"(?).

My previous amp was an early 70's pro reverb, another jem.

yeah, wot he said-"get an old fender-any old fender will do."an older one will sound better than the fodder they (fender) shovel today...

i got alotta them and i play and love them all dearly.

and the same happened to me -

when the forum updated it wouldnt 'see' my old moniker but it let me reregister w/ the SAME one! weird huh?

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Stay the hell away from anything solid state (well. . . the Polytone's great for jazz). A small tube amp such as those suggested above will be much better.

Generally, I agree...but a student of mine's got two Fenders, one's a solid state, and the thing sounds great. Not for rock and roll, but the clean sounds are superb. Plus, it's about 1/2 the weight of a comparable tube amp. So, I'd say, if you're looking for a blues/rock machine, go tube, but if your thing is country, jazz, or anything that could be played cleanly, it might be an option.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Bandylou---The sweetest sounding amp I have played in a long time is the re-issue Vox AC-15. It'll blow away any of the Fenders you listed above ... :D

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: gmd ]

Archived