Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is Nato?

DC

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that nato is a mahagony-based, laminated material.

At least, that's what the info says on literature I got w/my new, extra cheezy drumset! :D

Steve

(waiting for my extra cheezy cymbals...)

even google was stumped ;) by that one!

it appears that it's an asian tree similar to maple. 3/4 of the google searches i tried that included the word "nato" were about the treaty organization, the other 1/4 were about lower-cost guitars.

i also learned a new acronym- No Action, Talk Only.

okay, i threw in "mahogany", that led to some other things, which led to

Leguminosae.

the plant family that includes legumes (beans & peas) but also a fast-growing tropical hardwood that is called Mora, Moraboekea, Pracuuba, or (in Columbia) Nato.

well there ya' go.

Hey thanks wager47! So it's kinda sorta a Columbian wood or something? I guess they're running out of a lot of the standard woods.

Which reminds me, I went to Leeds castle which is south east of London and no where near Leeds for what it's worth. There was a huge dining hall, I'm talking HUGE and the wooden floor just freaked me out. I mean, I knew the wood, but to see so much of it my mind just couldn't believe/comprehend. I asked one of the workers and sure enough, the entire floor was made of ebony. Just think of all the guitar necks that could be made...

Archived