Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is enough, enough?

michael saulnier

Like many people, I've been savoring my life a bit more in the wake of 9/11. It rattles me a bit that thousands of people woke up that morning, ready to take on another day... heading to work... never knowing it was their last day. I know people die every day in car crashes and so on... but this has been so constantly in our faces that it seems to have really hit home for me.

I'm finding myself wanting to spend more time with my wife and kids... and I'm feeling less inclined to make material wealth the focus of my days. My time for music seems less and less as well...

I'm bringing this up on this forum because it relates to my guitar collection. Until recently I thought of it as a never-ending thing, a kind of journey. Each new guitar came into my hands, never to leave. I had plans to add new ones on an ongoing basis, and spent a considerable amount of time thinking about which ones to add next.

I'm starting to think about it a little differently now, wondering whether I should reconsider my collection... and maybe part with some or most of it. I'd welcome your thoughts about if I should, and if so, what I should hang on to...

Here's where things stand now.

Electrics. (I'll do acoustics on another post).

Two guitars stand out in my mind. My PRS McCarty and American Deluxe Fat Strat. They both play superbly, cover a wide range of sonic ground, are great "recording" guitars and are completely different from each other. I can hardly imagine a music situation where one of these wouldn't be useful. I consider these to be "core"... meaning I will likely hang on to both, no matter what.

I also have two other strats. A 1996 Fender Lone Star strat that I have modified with Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in the neck and middle. I also added a LSR nut... making it a nice companion to my American Deluxe. It has a maple neck and fretboard in contrast to the rosewood one on the Am. Dlx... I bet because of my mods, that it won't sell for as much, but it's a great player's guitar and my first real strat.

My other strat is a 2000 Jimmy Vaughn signature. This guitar was my "vintage" strat type, it was inexpensive, but plays and sounds great. It's stock, kinda noisy for recording now that I'm used "noiseless" pickups. I like the chunky V shaped neck. Basically a great modest priced "classic" strat.

I also have two Telecasters. One is a 1996 American standard with a maple neck and fretboard. I modified it by replacing the bridge with a Blue Lace Sensor, and then moving the standard neck pickup to a "middle" position and adding a Blue Lace neck pickup... along with a 5 position bridge. It sounds and plays great, and I like the blue Lace bridge compared to the standard pickups of this era.

My other Telecaster was purchased the same day as my Jimmy Vaughn, and it's a Nashville Tele. Another "strat-like" guitar, it is the rosewood companion to my first Tele. Also modestly priced, (I was able to get both guitars for only $350 each), it sounds and plays great... although it's certainly got the trademark single coil hum. BTW the first tele is black and the Nashville is white.

I was lucky enough to pickup a nice used Les Paul Standard about two years ago. It's not vintage or anything, 1993 I think, Black with stock pickups, chunky Les Paul neck. It looks and sounds like a great LP, not as heavy as some, but not as light as a PRS. Obviously it sounds different than my McCarty with a brighter bridge pickup, and slightly muddier neck pickup. I got it for $800 though, so I can probably sell it for about what I paid for it... I always loved LP's but again, I can get much of the vibe from my McCarty with half the weight.

Another guitar is a PRS standard. It's the same body shape as any PRS, but without a maple top. 100% mahogany. It's more of a rock guitar than a blues one, the pickups sound best when overdriven. It has the nice birds inlay, solid black finish w/ chrome PRS vibrato system. Light compared to a LP, it plays easily, and everything is classic PRS quality. I'm tempted to keep this one somewhat, but again, my McCarty probably covers the bases for this.

I also have two Carvin guitars. I live near the factory so I had the chance to play and pick these guitars personally.

One is a "super-strat" they call a DC-135. This was one of the few times I bought a guitar mostly because of its looks. It's a Flame Koa 1/4" top w/ maple neck through and alder body. The top is beautiful. When you look straight at it, it seems to be inches thick. Dark brown stain highlights the super flamey Koa. Gold hardware including a gold Floyd bridge, locking tuners, ebony neck with MOP inlays... it's a piece of art. Oh yeah, it sounds good too... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif with a S-S-H setup. The single coils are sort of Fenderish, and it uses individual switches to turn on and off the pickups so you can have every combination. My Am Dlx is my true favorite strat and covers this ground so well...

My other Carvin is a white AE-185. This is a tele shaped, semi-hollow body with an acoustic bridge and two humbuckers. I recently modded it by adding a Duncan '59 in the neck and a Duncan JB in the bridge. It sounds great, really rocks, is also a neck through with an ebony fretboard. Like all Carvin's it has great action. It also has gold hardware including coil split switches on both pickups. You can "blend" any amount of electric pickup and piezo pickup to taste. There's also two output jacks, one that sends signal from both sources, the other that splits them so you can send electric to a regular guitar amp and the other to a PA or acoustic amp. Very versatile guitar.

In keeping with the electric/acoustic theme I should mention that I have a electric/acoustic tele made by fender in Japan. It has a single lace sensor pickup in the neck position, (but not the same as a regular tele, more like a strat one), and an acoustic bridge with a piezo pickup. It includes a bolt on tele type neck, and I use acoustic strings with a wound third string on it. It's great for acoustic playing live, and you can blend the two pickups on it as well. I think they only made this for a year or two, so I wonder whether there's any collectable issue. I think I only paid around $450 for it new, so it can't be worth that much, but it plays great. My brother also bought one the same day, so we sometime do our "acoustic thing" with them, and it shocks the uninitiated to see us getting pure acoustic sounds from two "electric" looking guitars.

I also have a Hamer EchoTone. This is an ES-335 clone, made in Korea that looks and sounds nice. It is the brown-burst with rosewood fretboard. I like the solid maple top and the pickups sound pretty good... Duncan "designed". I had wanted a semi-hollow for some time and this fit the bill nicely... for a great price.

Finally I have my oldest electric a Charvel Model 4. Pointy headstock, flat rosewood neck with sharkfin inlays and monster frets. I "chopped a lot of wood" on this thing. I rarely play it now, but I always have fun when I do. My "main" axe for a while... it has the most sentimental value and lowest commercial value of all.

Anyway, sorry if all this is too much.

But I'm interested in your thoughts. Let's say I was going to reduce this group. To somewhere between two and five.

First, should I do it?

Which would YOU pick if it were you?

Which do you think I should pick?

I tried to give a little "reasoning" as I described the guitars... do you agree with my thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

P.S. If I do decide to eliminate some of these I'm open to making a "special deal" for someone who has more "need" than me for these. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a DanSouth type contest, but if you've got a story to tell to convince me you'll make a good home for one of these, I'd prefer to pass them along to someone who really can use them... and pass along some great value in return

Let me know.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guitplayer,

If your guitars bring you satisfaction, I see no need to part with them.

I've had similar feelings since 9/11. I suspect that most people have. There's a new urgency to life, to do what's important. As a result, I've been playing and writing more, working a little less, spending more time with family and friends. Some of my friends have set up a monthly dinner, because getting together "whenever" just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm rethinking vacations that I'd put off, especially weekend trips that I might have an opportunity to schedule in the coming months. etc. etc.

I'm putting a lot of time in with my basses. I'm even fooling around on my El Cheapo Strat a little more. I'd like to be able to do a little more on the six-string before my time is up. Everything means more. I'm ashamed that it took a tragedy to make me see that, but so be it. I love all of my instruments, and I'm not going to part with any of them. I gave two away earlier in the year, and that was enough. I'm very happy with the rest. Might even get a couple more next year.

The only issue is that this is a perilous time for the economy, and I'm not keen on spending a lot of money right now. If your financial picture could be improved by selling an axe that you never play, you might want to consider it. A little extra cash is a good thing. My recommendation would be to bank it and hold onto it as long as you possibly can. Not good for the economy, but good for you. That's what counts.

Best of luck!!

Dan

Maybe you can find a worthwhile place to donate one of your guitars. Maybe an organisation that teaches music to kids that couldn't afford to buy an electric guitar. I might look into something like this myself because I have three guitars which I haven't even seen in over three years. They've been sitting in a corner of my brother's apartment since I didn't want to pay to bring them to Japan. I have several guitars here also and I would like to hang on to them in the hope that one of my sons might want to play them someday, after I'm finished with 'em.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

There`s been an unfortunate tendency in Japan, I must say, to say `isn`t that terrible`, and pledge support and sympathy but basically see it as someone else`s problem-at least unofficially. Still, I`ve had some of that same feeling of whatever you`re going to do, do it-which in my case has had the effect of intensifying my frustration at not having `made my case`, musically and artistically, and still trying to put it together.

I would advise against selling off your collection because you feel you have to do `something`. That`s not specific and you might well regret it later. If you`re sure this is the specific action you want to take, maybe start with the Carvin strat and the Hamer, and be objective about why you should keep them and why they could be let go.

Hope that`s helpful.

That's a hard call. I'd definately hold on to the 'core' guitars as well as the Les Paul and one tele. The Fender with acoustic style bridge seems rather versitile as well.

That said, I think right now is a bad time to be selling anything. I sold a bunch of unused gear throughout the summer but all of a sudden it seems like people aren't buying. Altho our president is encouraging folks to shop, a lot of people are staying at home and saving their money. Maybe out of unease with current events or maybe re-evaluating their own lives.

We all feel that we need to do something, anything to somehow help the world. Stopping to smell the roses and especially being closer to family is very important right now, but if your guitars have a good caring home, perhaps they should stay put? I mean, you actually play, right? Don't you dare sell any to collectors.

One thing that would be really cool; if you meet a kid who's very musical but poor, a gift would be something that could change their world.

First of all, I know how you feel. I try to spend more time with the wife and kids too.

As far as time for music, everybody except my wife is a player in my house so, one way we try to more time together is playing together. Kinda' cool!

Now, if it's truly what you enjoy and your instruments make you happy, keep 'em all.

If you've got an undeniable urge to do something good for someone with them, then by all means, donate 'em.

I'm the stage director for the local high band (primarily first and second jazz bands) and I spend quite a bit of time around these kids. Some of these kids are having the time of their lives but unfortunately, are stuck with dilapidated, beat up instruments because that's all their parents can afford.

Imagine though, the kid that is handed a sweet axe by the Band Director to be used in place of some old, beat up axe that was rescued from the trash 10 years ago in the hopes of finding time to play it someday.

Ask around your local schools if there would be any interest in accepting such a donation. Generally, music programs in schools are thought of as bastard children and not really taken seriously in terms of education. But, I've seen first hand how, when presented properly, it can turn a childs attitude around. At first, my son struggled through school and now, he's found music in school and an awesome Music Director. He's now at school an hour before school starts every day for Jazz Band rehearsal and 2 evenings a week as well. His grades have improved because of the respect he has for the Director. The Jazz band is the premier musical talent in the school and the Director insists that his musicians maintain good marks to participate. There are only 25 members out of 180 students so, they're considered the "elite" musical corps.

Your donation may help turn somebody else around and you can feel good that you had a hand in it!

My $.02

I have owned the same 9 guitars for several years now and wouldn't consider selling any, mainly because I use most of them on a regular basis but I want to touch on the other part of your post, music itself.

I have turned back to music in a more focused way than I had been. I find that I need to play soft, quiet, easy songs more these days, it's like a form of therapy. I came across a simple version of "Amazing Grace" the other day and sat and played it over and over, so slow and light that it started to feel like I was only hearing it and not playing it, when I "snapped out of it" I felt better somehow, more prepared to carry on.

I was also looking for Christmas music for my students and found myself playing "O Come All Ye Faithful" repeatedly, and slower than I have ever played anything before, it just felt good.

I recommend this to anyone when your thoughts start to close in on you, if you can take the time to work on a simple song, especially if you sight-read it, something takes over and "massages" parts of the soul.

I better stop now before someone suggests professional help, but I really mean what I say,

Jim in Canada http://ampcast.com/sologuitar

The 9-11 thing was terrible. But it only added to what I already knew. That life is so fleeting. I was a changed man after my dad died. I knew it would shake me up some day as he and I were real close. It did. And a couple of years later, five friend died in two weeks, all unrelated. Hooboy, that'll humble you! I am much more appreciative and I try not to let things get to me. You'll do the same, most people will, from here on. Some good will come of this thing.

As for your guitars, I wouldn't do anything for six months. Sit on it. Mark your calendar for April 22, 2002 to review your idea.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I too have a tobacco-sunburst Hamer Echotone....it's not a versatile guitar but I really love it for playing solos and jazz chords. It must be the Seymour Duncans.

13 guitars is a lot to keep in good working order and you really can't devote enough time to any one guitar. However, there is nothing wrong with owning a lot of guitars, even if they only sit on their stands looking pretty or you pull one out of a closet once a month to play or record with. You could narrow your collection down to 9 or 10 guitars but I would keep most of them. If you do start selling your collection do it slowly, over a couple of years. That way you will know how you really feel about them after they start leaving one by one.

Bottom line....you only go around once in this crazy world. You should own as many guitars, clothes, motorcycles, microphones, or whatever makes you happy and not give it a second thought. As long as you aren't spending the childrens' college fund on your addiction then it isn't a problem.

Well... I have 6 guitars, and one is a bass actually. Another (a '63 SG Junior) I hardly ever play - but I do find it really useful for the times I do play it. I have owned all of my guitars a long time, and I really don't have any desire at this point to buy any more. I prefer to have a few and take care of them and know them intimately. The "collector" mentality, I confess, has always puzzled me. It's hard to enjoy the guitars you have if you're always lusting after another one. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Maybe this is why your current state of mind was spurred by the events of 9/11 - maybe it's a desire to live for the moment, to spend more time on the actual creative act and interacting with people you care about, than the more material aspect of playing (the gear). I understand that cuz that's always how I've been: I decide on a few essential tools and learn to use them to the fullest. I'm that way with recording too - I don't really spend a lot of time chasing the latest gear. I only search for something if I have a real lack in my ability to play or record something. The minimalist approach really works for me.

Of course I'm not going to say that my attitude is the right one for everybody. If collecting guitars really does give you joy, then I wouldn't give it up. But if indeed you think maybe your motivations for being a collector aren't quite right, and you'd benefit from stripping down to the bare bones, then you should. I'm only posting this to tell you that this approach can be very rewarding and has been for me.

But I agree with Duke, I'd sit on the decision for a few months and see how you feel having thought about it for awhile.

--Lee

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think the consensus I hear is to not rush into anything... That's probably the way I will go. I don't need to sell them for the money or anything... it was more like purging myself of needless excess or something... I don't know...

I did like the idea of finding some local talent and helping them.

It turns out I've already started on that path. One of the guys that works with me has a 16 year old son who is in the jazz band at the local high school. He and 3 other 16 year old friends, (also in the jazz band) have formed a band, (kinda Blink182 meets Led Zep), and I just got done helping them make a 5 song cd, with the free use of my time for engineering and production, my studio space, and recording equipment. I spent about 40 hours total recording and mastering their stuff, and they were VERY appreciative. They're very talented kids with good songs, and it was fun for me to see the look on their faces when they listened to the final cd.

They're handing the cd's out like candy at their high school and have gotten rave reviews... The school even played it over the PA during lunch time. At their recent first gig, a birthday party for a girl from school, quite a few kids there already knew their songs and were singing along... ah, memories! I would have killed to have a friend like me helping my band get started when I was their age.

The "lead guitar" player also benefited from the use of my rig. Although he had a medium quality strat and little fender amp, I let him play my McCarty on all the tracks through my POD... Soldano model... and he was nearly in heaven. He didn't take the guitar off his shoulder for more than a minute during any of the sessions, and I could see that it was hard for him to put it down when he left each night. Love at first play.

Maybe I'll see if he's interested in one of my other guitars and make him a deal he can't refuse... just not my McCarty! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Again, thanks for your heartfelt replies... I was feeling down when I wrote my original post, but I'm feeling a bit better now!

Peace.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Read your post...and as far as selling your equip....wait......

and as far as helping a young beginner all i can say is

"pay it forward"....wish I had someone when i was younger

to help out....your kind heart will prevail.....

laters

I think you are doing the right thing to give this some time.

There is another perspective that i'd like to add ( actually this builds on some of the earlier posts).

Post 9/11, with the original TV benefit concert, the John Lennon tribute and then the Madison Sq garden and RFK stadium charity concerts, I have been really struck by the role music is playing to help bring people together and to get through their feelings.

Its really primal and deep.

So, while I appreciate and also feel some of the same pulls towarrds less selfish endeavors after 9/11, I dont put music in that category.

My eyes actually welled up a few times during these musical moments - Bowie singing P. Simon's America, N. Young doing Imagine on piano, and the Who alternating between a large display of the brit (their trademark) and American flags during their NYC set. Recalling the early days when the cops were the enemy at rock shows, it was great to see the men in blue rocking out in the Garden. Music was literally helping to heal folks in a unique and powerful way.

Given your collection, its clear you have a deep relationhip to music. Maybe moving away from it at this time is right for you.

For me, the perspective above has made me better appreciate its power.

Cheers,

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

There's some really good advice listed above. I'll second the motion. Don't do anything rash while you're on the emotional roller coaster. Although I agree that guitar collecting and music go hand in hand, they aren't the same thing. Never give up on the music man! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Originally posted by guitplayer:

My other strat is a 2000 Jimmy Vaughn signature. This guitar was my "vintage" strat type, it was inexpensive, but plays and sounds great. It's stock, kinda noisy for recording now that I'm used "noiseless" pickups. I like the chunky V shaped neck. Basically a great modest priced "classic" strat.

Yeah, I remember when we got some of those at the store I work at - those were a good deal. Fender ticks me off, I don't know what drugs they're on.

(The new Indonesian guitars are extreamly good deals right now, though)

The Hamer semi-hollow - depending on your income, it would seem semi-hollow bodies are massively escalating in price.

I bet the Charvel has sentimental value?

The Les Paul will probably hold it's value. PRS's - eh, but they're nice so I'd hang onto those if I liked them. I'd hang onto a Tele just to have that sound as an option.

The rest seem totally superfluous to me.

I'm weird, I tend to accumulate amplifiers instead of guitars. I've never had a big collection of guitars, can't afford it, the amp makes more of a difference in sound.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by guitplayer:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I did like the idea of finding some local talent and helping them.

guitplayer

If you've got the time, keep at it. Speaking from my own experience, the kids really appreciate it. Honest!

I've been in the business 35 years myself and when my son really realized that I DO know what I'm talking about, he started asking my opinion on lots of things. Even his bandmates are asking now. It's really cool because the band director tells them to ask me if they don't believe him and, when they ask me, I usually give them the same advice he did and their response "That's what Mr. N said too!"

So, since I've retired from actively gigging, I'm putting both my talent and experience to use in a different venue (kind of like giving something back) and it's truly been a rewarding experience. As the other poster have stated, no one did that for me when I was their age and now, I'm taking ful advantage of the opportunity to do something for them! And having fun along the way!

I have 7 guitars and always want more (this seems to be a common affliction). That being said, I have more than I need and could chop my collection down to 3 (my PRS Custom, '72 Tele and '43 Epiphone Olympic) and still have what I need to play anything. I made a conscious decision not to buy any more guitars last year after I realized that I didn't have time to play them all or keep them properly maintained.

If anything good has come out of 9/11, it is that maybe people have their priorities straightened a little more and have a better idea of what's important (life, family, freedom, etc.) and what isn't (convienience at any cost, shopping, having lots of stuff).

I don't think you should act rashly and ditch all your guitars. Donating some to a school music program is a great idea. What you did with those kids was also eally cool. Maybe you could set up an ongoing program like that for other young musicians and let them use your gear (maybe not the McCarty. Letting that kid play it was REALLY nice - I don't let anyone touch my PRS) and expertise. In return they could help you mentor other kids when they're older.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Very good suggestions all

Another way to do your soul some good, from another perspective, may allow you to get that same feeling of renewal without the hassle of selling anything. You may have you own opinions about it, but according to the principles of Chinese Feng Shui, letting things sit in one physical space for a long time can actually block the free flow of new energies into your life, as well as the elimination of old forces. If some of your guitars sit for extended periods, try moving them to a new place for a while. Take them out more often and look them over carefully. Keep other stuff from accumulating around them. Music stuff tends to be bulky, so keep it as an active, mobile part of your environment.

Guitplayer,

I have one dreadnought acoustic that cost $89.99 (MSRP $129). So count your blessings. Enjoy what you have. Play and have fun. You didn't cause the events of 9/11 and you can't change what happened.

By the way, feel free to let me borrow one of those guitars!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Hmmmmmm... Parting with your guitars??? That's not good thing to do, right?

(maybe if you spend too much time changing those strings http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Helping young talent is great thing to do (maybe you should consider small fee?) My friend and I will "help" young bends to record demos in our "studio" for small fee because they can't afford to record them in real studio... Of course using our equipment is included in that fee (though I can't picture some guitarist from punk band playing on my Strats...)

You have some great guitars! Modified or not they are part of you, and your sound... They are part of you so don't part with them... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Archived