Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bring your special guitar to every show?

strat0124

Just wondering how many of y'all bring your best guitar to every show or you reserve them for special shows. I used to back in the day, but now I leave them at home and use less rare/expensive guitars in the clubs. To be honest, some of my vintage stuff doesn't stay in tune as well as the newer ones, and are climate sensitive compared to the others. My thing is I probably couldn't afford to re-purchase the old stuff I have these days, and I don't chance it unless its a special show. So whats yer story?
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... you're assuming that my "special" guitar is my "best" guitar... or that my older (aka "vintage") stuff is my best. But, that's not the case.

My BEST guitar is my custom Tele-style, that I built myself. It goes to every gig, practice, and jam.

My SPECIAL guitar is a Strat that belonged to my best friend who passed away last year. It never leaves the house.

As for my vintage gear... they will make appearances, but I don't use them often. Not because they are rare or expensive, but because with my trusty Tele I don't need the others! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

I have a friend who's probably one of the finest swing guitarists in the world (no shit!) His name is Marco Sauvo and he lives and gigs around Portland Or. He's always played expensive (L-5) Gibsons and he brings them to some stinky, stanky, stunky shitholes. But he blew me away when he got a Gibson "Charlie Christian" (I forget the L#) and he never shows up without it...no matter how bad the hole! But then he's definitly a player and not in it for the "collectibility". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

Ya, `best` and `special` aren`t necessarily the same...

Fortunately I now have an electric that`s moderately expensive, but with hot rod pickups that make it sound great...I have a couple of more expensive electrics that I`d just as soon not take to the real holes-may be overreacting, but if the worst happens I`d probably have to eat the loss.

I just bring my strat and a Hamer that I keep tuned to D. I like how Gibson now has a basic economy Les Paul now for $550-$650. I bet that's just about what they had in mind when they came out with that. It has no binding on the body and the position markers are dots instead of trapezoids, but much of the rest of the guitar is the same. So, you can bring a real Gibson Les Paul out to a rough beer trough on the under side of the tracks and play with abandon and know that you're not being fiscally an idiot. Don't get me wrong I love those honeyburst Standards and (drool, moan) those Goldtops as well, but man I could not see taking a $2400 dollar axe to some of the places that I regularly play. Let's just say that it would not be a wise thing to do. Fender also has real decent Mexican import strats (the Richie Sambora signature for one) that you can pick up for $475 and up. Yeah, I'd take one of those over to the barn-like pool hall on the outskirts of town with the Harleys lined up and the smoke billowing out of the doors, and not worry too much. These are good times for players, it seems that the brands really do pay attention to our needs.

I agonize over this as my main guitar is about the only guitar I can play well. It's extremely one of a kind and absolutely impossible to replace; mid 80's Schecter solid rosewood neck (1 & 3/4" at the nut), American cherry strat body I made and routed out with birch top, ebony acoustic bridge with Martin thinline under sadle pu and EMG active humbuck at bridge and single coil at neck. It's really light weight, comfortable and perfect for me but I hate to risk something happening to it. I used to fly it in an ATA flight case but the last few times I just carried it on in a gig bag.

I'm thinking of picking up one of those Carvins or Hamers that have the acoustic bridge and electric pu's too. Just wish someone would make this style with a wider nut.

I couldn't go anywhere without my '52 Les Paul. Yeah, many would consider it risky to take it to skanky clubs, but I got it to play it, not leave it at home.

And if you can't afford to replace your vintage instruments, which I couldn't either, that's what insurance is for!

--Lee

DC, that reminds me-and this is probably big enough for a new thread-how have things changed in the airline world since the big event on Sept. 11th as regards flying with guitars. I used to fly with my guitars fairly often, and felt so edgy turning them over to baggage handlers. A few times I did that, and then saw another guy on the same flight carry on a guitar (in a gig bag, it just fit in overhead). Has anyone flown lately with their stringed friend and how have things changed? I also have a super-heavy-duty flight case and wonder how that's going to go over with the security people. Anyone?

Archived