Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would changing my "Tuning Heads" better keep my guitar in tune?

Imagine

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what is making your guitar go out of tune. If you are not stringing it properly, or if the string is meeting resistance in the string-path, then changing tuners won't do anything for you.

Having good quality tuning machines is important... but I find that they are rarely the actual cause of tuning problems.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

I agree with Scott.

If I have problems staying in tune... here's my thought process to address it.

1) need new strings - old strings will give you lots of tuning problems

2) I put on brand new strings - they need to be stretched when they're put on and take a couple of hours of playing before they're "broken in"

3) I need nut lubrication - especially if you're playing a higher gauge set than your guitar shipped with and you haven't modified the nut, you should use some lubricant like graphite to make sure the strings aren't getting caught in the nut and then slipping. BTW, if you don't know how to modify a nut and don't have the right tools... DON'T DO IT YOURSELF! Time for a good tech's help!

4) vibrato system - if you have one, make sure it's setup properly for your string gauge... if you don't know how, a good tech can help alot! Remember that if you're changing string gauges, you may have to adjust the springs and intonation.

5) sting winding technique - make sure you are securing the strings properly for your type of tuners. Again, if you don't know how, ask a good local tech...

6) tuners - only after all this would I consider new tuners. One exception is if you're using a vibrato system and no locking nut. If this is the case, then getting locking tuners can make a great deal of difference.

good luck...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I actually did have problems with my tuning machines when I first bought my 60's re-issue Strat. The high E and B string machines had about a half turn of play in them before they would start actually engaging. Needless to say replacing them with some good Schaller locking tuners helped tremendously. But I didn't stop there, I also had to have the nut filed to fit my heavier gage .011 strings. It came fitted with and tuned up for .009's if I remember correctly.

Plus I had the string tring removed, I had intended to put a graphite string tring on but the Tech found that the strings stayed in place fine without one so he suggested just leaving it off. I haven't had a bit of problems since having this work done.

I also had graphite saddles put on my Strat, didn't have anything to do with tuning but I was breaking strings all the time, particularly the high E which I tend to really wail on. The problem was the *vintage* style metal saddles would kick up burrs where the string came across, and the burr would break the string every time. Didn't seem to matter how often I filed the saddles to get rid of the burrs, I would always end up breaking a string within hours of putting new ones on. After having the other work done, plus the graphite saddles, my strings last really good now and stay in tune. As well as can be expected considering my extremely heavy handed technique anyway.

You've received some excellant advice so far. I'll just add that there are some really flakey tuners out there. Lightly turn you knobs and see how much play is in em. You can also pull up on a string and see how easy it is to make the cooresponding string go flat by doing so. If you figure your tuners are bad, then try some Schallers. I've got them on most of my guitars and they are superior tuners.

I'm sure this will cause a debate, but I've owned a lot of guitars in my day, most of which I built or put together myself, using whatever pieces and parts that were laying around.

Believe me, some of these 'projects' turned out to be some of the most lamest pieces of crap you're likely to come across! I kid you not.

What I found throughout all of this experimentation was that sometimes the brand of string you use will make all of the difference.

Which ones worked best? Consistantly? Ernie Ball Regular Slinky. Give them a few days to stretch out, and they will stay in tune until they break. Or rust out!

Three packs for $10 at my local music store. Who'd a'thunk it!

(Just my two cents...American.)

Steve

One note about stretching strings is that you have to really work on them for the process to be effective. You can't just pull on them once or twice and expect it to work. Tune up, pull on the strings individually and retune them. Work on each string one at a time and keep at it - pull and retune over and over again and really work on each string for a few minutes. You'll notice that each time you pull on a string to stretch it, the string will come back closer in tune. Eventually, after working on it for a bit, it should come back very close to pitch.

I do a lot of tech work and restring guitars for players who are either going on stage or recording tracks in the studio. These are people who often have their guitars restrung every day and NEED their guitars to be in tune when they pick them up to play. There can't be any excuse on my end when I hand them their instruments, so they have to be in tune and have to stay in tune while they're playing (at least for a few songs...). It shouldn't take a few days for the strings to stretch. You just have to work them thoroughly so that they do stretch and stay in tune for a reasonable amount of time. If the nut is properly cut and the tuners do work correctly, then stretching out the strings to pull out the slack around the tuners is the best way to make your strings hold the tuning. Every guitar is different and some will take more work than others to get the strings in shape.

Archived